• 24(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
(2012-11-03, 16:23)uNiversal Wrote: Those look ok, if you have acpi installed (and if your laptop supports acpi) it should be ok.

Perhaps have a rummage here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sus...ate-script

I dont have any experience with ATI or anything driver related maybe someone who knows more will chime-in.

Hibernate on keyboard http://askubuntu.com/questions/80252/how...-hibernate and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66829

uNi

Ok well now the first trouble is solved with USB keyboard waking the system with help of this (i hope this will be also helpfull after the IR receiver comes):
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote#S3...end_To_RAM

Regarding to suspend. Is it possible to configure the LAN port so that it will wake the system, if I call for example the web interface of XBMC through web browser or. android?

But still have trouble after wake up from suspend no XBMC interface is shown; just black screen.

No idea I dont use hibernate or suspend, though suspending works fine on resume. (tested suspend)

You can probably use wake-on-lan though I never used it, there's guides on how-tos

You can use a xorg.conf to disably screensavers and DPMS those are causes for black screens (I have no idea how to do it for ATI)

uNi

I'm getting more and more disappointed with ATI card in my Q180. Sad Now I can not get even boblight ambilight working with it. Grrrr.....
Lol - that has nothing to do with your ATI.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-11-03, 23:09)mrbiggmd Wrote:
(2012-11-03, 22:52)uNiversal Wrote: @ mrbiggmd

And now you follow the rest of the steps. Either login and do it directly or via SSH. Press a key on keyboard should show a login, use user=xbmc + whatever password you setup.

If you installed it to the internal drive it should be sda=sata drive sdb=usb though that doesn't matter. remove the stick reboot/login and proceed with step 2

uNi

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried pressing keys on the keyboard and nothing happened. Do I need to put the usb drive back in? Instructions say no. I am trying a different hdd now

No luck with new drive. I finish the install and the instructions say remove the USB drive and reboot. I do that and nothing boots from the HDD. I put the USB drive back in and it boots to the XBMC login prompt.

I think the GRUB script is writing to sda which is the uSB drive. Should it write to sdb, the HDD?
If you installed everything properly sda should be the installed drive and any usb drives should be sdb.

It sounds as if you instead of installing bootloader to root device you didn't. look at minimal install with pictures http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal and install openssh

uNi
OK. I am close now.

I ran the script and I get the following error on my tv after a reboot.

Screen Shot

Does this have to do with the video card? I believe it is an ATI Radeon HD3650 (old I know Big Grin)
(2012-11-04, 01:17)fritsch Wrote: Lol - that has nothing to do with your ATI.
What do you mean with nothing to do with ATI? I have tried many ambilights on nvidia and it works great. On ati i can not get it.
(2012-11-04, 06:56)mrbiggmd Wrote: OK. I am close now.

Screen Shot

Does this have to do with the video card? I believe it is an ATI Radeon HD3650 (old I know Big Grin)

Google the error(s)?

uNi
(2012-11-04, 06:56)mrbiggmd Wrote: OK. I am close now.

Screen Shot

Your videocard is too old. The script script supports ati series 5xxx and up.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Hey

I'm looking to pass a argument to X before it starts, to see if I can completely kill the cursor on xbmc when it starts. (adding the options "HWcursor" "false" to xorg.conf doesn't work)

Since we are using xinit (I am anyway) to start xbmc as you guys know, I'm a bit lost where to add this argument .

The proper way to kill the cursor is one of these commands, as opposed to using empty or transparent themes or something else.

Code:
Xorg -nocursor

X -nocursor

xinit -- -nocursor

startx -- -nocursor

I'm looking to use "xinit -- -nocursor" because we dont have a desktop or window manager. Adding it to etc/init/xbmc.conf doesn't work and xbmc wont start if added.

Where do I add this to?

uNi
(2012-10-24, 16:51)Bram77 Wrote: I've added 'Advanced' to be detected as an ATI videocard. It's in version 2.5 now. I'm sorry I haven't been very responsive the last week or so. I'm extremely busy with development that pays my bills Smile
I promise I'll be coding on the script again this weekend!
(2012-10-24, 13:50)merrymarian Wrote:
Great work you did there!
I'm just experiencing a small problem. I cant control XBMC via an iPhone app. The app just doesnt find the host, even though i changed all the necessary settings in XBMC. Am i doing something wrong?

greets!

If your internet connection is working on your HTPC you should be able to connect. Are you sure you're on the same wifi network? I do not have an iPhone so I can't help you test to figure out what your problem is.

Hi!
Do you have an Android Phone? There are remote apps for that too! Perhaps you or a fellow member of this board could do a quick test to make sure its not just me.
@uNi

Did you try putting 'startx -- -nocursor' and the like into your /home/<user>/.xinitrc file?

Perhaps give that a go by disabling or dropping to shell and retesting X without the extra upstart layer to start.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Hi!

Can you also add to script so that if Grub menu is shown that by default it will auto start in lets say 5 seconds the Ubuntu?
ATM when Grub is shown it waits for command.
(2012-11-05, 06:56)illiac4 Wrote: Can you also add to script so that if Grub menu is shown that by default it will auto start in lets say 5 seconds the Ubuntu?
ATM when Grub is shown it waits for command.

Seconded. I've noticed GRUB doesn't display when I connect via HDMI to my TV - I just get a black screen. Only works when I use VGA. Also without it auto progressing it means I always need a keyboard attached to the machine. That shouldn't be the case.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11