• 76(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
Hi everyone,

I know this is a silly question, but I'm still a bit of a linux noob. Does this script install the latest GPU drivers from nVidia? Just picked up a GT630 and want to make sure the GPU does all the heavy lifting because my processor is starting to show it's age.

Also, which version of ubuntu is best to install? 12? 13? I was running Plex media server and streaming to my Roku, but it is so darn CPU dependent, that I'm going to use XBMC to stream to my HDTV and let Plex take care of my mobile devices.

Any other advice before I begin?
Maybe you want to use uNiversal forked version of the script as there are some updates made to it

https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu...l_2_6_2.sh
(2013-06-18, 21:13)bagin Wrote: I have an old laptop Fujistsu Siemens Amilo L1310G where I had a lubuntu 13.10 with xbmc installed. It was working reasonable but I read that thread and decided to install mini based. The installation process have gone well and i can see the xbmc splash when it boot but I can't run xbmc as I get an error:

Error: unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.

I have checked the driver and it is exactly the same as it was under lubuntu.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M]

Is there any way to fix it?

I have followed few post and already tried downgrading AMD driver to legacy but still the same. Any sugestions? I don't want to come back to lubuntu yet as it is xbmc only that I would like to use on that pc.
fglrx doesn't support this old card. use the mesa "radeon" driver.
I'm completely new to Ubuntu and i think i did something wrong.
After executing the commands i get "-- Installing installation dependencies..." from Putty but theres no other message. Is there supposed to be a progress indicator somewhere?
Nope, no progress bar. Just be patient.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I restarted my system and its just boots up like it did without xbmc.
Is there a log i should see that shows errors?

EDIT: heres what shows up when i type 'xbmc' in the terminal.
Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ xbmc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Error: unable to open display
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width 14 and height -2390711
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width 4 and height -1189651
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width 4 and height -1201075
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
  window.show_all ()
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Unmute all channels an crank them up then up to their max. Otherwise you'll have no sound. You can do this after the installation had finished too though.

What kind of videocard are you using?

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2013-07-04, 13:33)Bram77 Wrote: Unmute all channels an crank them up then up to their max. Otherwise you'll have no sound. You can do this after the installation had finished too though.

What kind of videocard are you using?

I'm using an
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600
Run the following to ensure your videocard drivers have been installed correctly.

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I'm not sure if your videocard isn't to old for the job. It probably should work.

(2013-07-04, 13:45)Bram77 Wrote: Run the following to ensure your videocard drivers have been installed correctly.

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I'm not sure if your videocard isn't to old for the job. It probably should work.

When i run it it says:
Code:
dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
then i run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' then 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-current' and it says:
Code:
nvidia-current is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
That says it all Smile. Somehow something went wrong during your installation. I suggest you run the suggested command to correct the error. Reboot and if xbmc isn't boting up run the installation script again. No need to install ubuntu mini again.

(2013-07-04, 13:51)Bram77 Wrote: That says it all Smile. Somehow something went wrong during your installation. I suggest you run the suggested command to correct the error. Reboot and if xbmc isn't boting up run the installation script again. No need to install ubuntu mini again.

Ah well, gonna have to run the installation script. \
Thanks for your help!
Okay, i ran the script again today and now it boots up and show this message:

"XBMC needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver."

But i'm pretty sure my card has OpenGL cause i installed windows on it before and it ran xbmc fine. (I just want to use ubuntu for better performance)

EDIT: Nevermind, i fixed it! i just uninstalled the nvidia drivers with "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current" and installed this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-displ...river.html

Thanks again for your help Smile

EDIT2: I don't want to triple-post Tongue
I have a question, why use xbmc 13 instead of 12.2? Any special reasons?
Was having a problem where after using the script XBMC was preforming like pre-frodo. Even though I checked the version in xbmc and it said June-27-2013 build, version 13.0. The major problem was audio output devices weren't listing, also missing other frodo features (video library didn't have the clean function). I don't know whether it was the script, something I did during the script, or perhaps the latest build. To solve this problem:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo service xbmc restart

And we're back
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help