• 81(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
This script is great!

However, I'm noticing every so often that the audio is out of sync (delayed by 150-250 ms). I used ubuntu 13.04 mini and version 2.6.2 of this script. It's on a fairly old zbox mini with the ION chipset. I chose to install the wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-frodo version of xbmc. I used his builds before and did not recognize this problem, it's the first time I use this script though.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Wait for frodo 12.03 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176721 this is a common problem. Or intal gotham.
Just used with ubuntu 13.10 mini and 2.6.1 script. I had to go into alsamixer to unmute some line channels to get HDMI audio working but other than that, worked great and as expected.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
From the first two posts in this thread, it seems that this script (2.6.1) would only work on Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04, both of which are almost end of life.

I prefer to use LTS releases, so I tried this on Ubuntu Server 12.04, but encountered a few problems.

The installation was done on an AMD Netbook with ATI Radeon HD 6290M, but similar may happen to other ATI users.

Below are the problems and their solutions:

1. wsnipex's repository not added
    The repository "ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo" was not added this was most likely due to missing "add-apt-repository"
    You can fix this by installing the utility before running the script:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

2. video driver not working
    The video driver that was installed did not work. Upon reboot the following message showed:
    "XBMC needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering"
    This was fixed by removing the installed driver and installing the proprietary one from the ATI website:
    • Remove the driver installed by the script (this seems to be the one in the repositories)
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
    • download and copy the driver from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...x%20x86_64
      For some reason wget did not work. So I downloaded with the desktop and SCP it to the netbook
    • Extract build and install:
      Code:
      unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-4-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
      sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack libc6-i386 lib32gcc1
      sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
      sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    • The open source driver does not use Xorg.conf, so no file should exist. Create one with aticonfig then edit as desired.
      Code:
      sudo aticonfig --initial
      Reference:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binary...alyst_13.4

3. I had to manually install Frodo after the fact, so here are the steps I performed:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba  
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
    sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

After the reboot Frodo came up and XVBA was available and enabled.

I think that LTS releases should be supported by this script and that the script should be updated to correct these problems.

I am willing to help, PM me if you need details on the issues I found.
@Alecz20

ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo

Are both in fact, and "any" xvba is deprecated and no longer being developed, this is it for AMD now http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

Use other ppas Official or wsnipex anyhting but xvba tagged repos.

The base Ubuntu you choose has nothing to do with script as it is just a script should run on pretty much any release, however because you're using deprecated ppas that probably dont have compiles for that release and even if they do its outdated now and likely wont work properly, especially if your a AMD user, this comes with extra pains, since the script is also no longer developed so hardly going to be updated unless someone does it, which falls to AMD users.
I’m using XBMC on my ION HTPC with a ubuntu stock 13.04 install. What really annoys me (and my beloved wife) is that on occation it just boots to the tty console

to avoid this just remove the console confs and reboot

sudo rm /etc/init/tty1.conf && sudo rm /etc/init/tty2.conf && rm /etc/init/tty3.conf && sudo rm /etc/init/tty4.conf && sudo rm /etc/init/tty5.conf && sudo rm /etc/init/tty6.conf
Hello, I currently have xbmc installed on a windows 7 machine and using this as my htpc. I am considering of changing to this minimal setup. Right now I am using jDownloader on Windows to download "stuff" from easybytez (premium account). Will I be able to do this with this minimal install (command-line only I guess)?
I believe there is a jDownloader addon, but I've never used it. In a nutshell... Almost everything is possible with a linux installation. So what you're looking for probably too.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2013-12-08, 18:58)Bram77 Wrote: I believe there is a jDownloader addon, but I've never used it. In a nutshell... Almost everything is possible with a linux installation. So what you're looking for probably too.
Do you mean an addon for xbmc?

EDIT: OK I found this addon but it needs jDownloader to work. Can jdownloader run in CLI?
I knew I should've stayed with Windows Tongue... Just kidding. I get no sound via HDMI. I enabled HDMI in settings and unmuted everything in alsamixer.
update: XBMC crashes when I select HDA NVidia, HDMI in Settings->System->Audio output->Audio output device
update2: Solved it!!! I just had to disable "Stream silence when idle", change the audio output device and the reenable it
Anyone gotten this to work on an Intel NUC? I have the Celeron variety, and it looks like I'm running into a bug where the NIC keeps getting reset due to a e1000e driver issue. It's been documented several places, but I can't find a workaround. What happens is that the NIC keeps resetting, and I'm unable to download any packages. I'd rather not do a full install and then pare down, but I'm not sure how to proceed.
@Bram77

I used Ubuntu mini 12.10 x64 with your 2.6.0 stable script and everything went fine. In fact, the only thing that did not work is my Pulse Eight CEC adapter. For this to work, the xbmc user needs to be member of the dialout group. Would you consider adding that to yuor script as in

sudo usermod -a -G dialout xbmc

possibly with another menu option where the Lirc setting is ?

Best regards and thanks for your excellent work

Philip
Script 2.6.1 already does that. I was the one adding it. https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-mi...ster/12.10

I dont think anyone is developing these anymore.
(2013-12-09, 01:42)uNiversal Wrote: Script 2.6.1 already does that. I was the one adding it. https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-mi...ster/12.10

I dont think anyone is developing these anymore.

Thank you uNi Smile

My bad, I did not run the 2.6.1 version of the script as I preferred to play safe and go for the Stable version instead.

Do you think I should run the 2.6.1 script ad-hoc anyway?

Best Regards

Philip
No, just add the user to dialout manually.

Stable...lol what exactly does that mean? Wait... dont answer that hehe

This project is not being developed anymore so dont expect any improvements unless your willing to carry on the torch.
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11