• 89(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
On restart my box boots to a tty1 prompt. I have to
Code:
sudo modprobe nvidia-331
to start xbmc. Any suggestions?
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
I'm guessing you htpc shutdown wile an update or installation was running. Try purging and reinstalling the nvidia drivers.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I've tried that. Here is a thread I had started with links to my logs. thread
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
Thanks so much for this! You obviously put in a lot of work, and I really appreciate it.

Why is it necessary to install OpenSSH? Is it really necessary to login remotely to install the script? I wasn't able to login remotely, and so I just tried installing the script directly from the machine itself.

I didn't have complete success with my Asus EEE PC 1015P, and I'm not sure that the cause was because I didn't log in remotely with SSH, or because of something else. If it's really necessary to login remotely to the computer, then might I suggest that you clarify that at the beginning of the instructions? I didn't understand that at first.

I ran the script v2.6.1, and I encountered the following issues:
  • I picked the lowest resolution for the start screen that I was presented with. I got an error saying it was unable to install the splash screen because of incompatibility/non-support.
  • The script reached "Installing Power management packages" and then hung. I left it alone for ten minutes or so, and then used the power button to shutdown, because Linux was frozen
  • When I turned it on, I was expecting to have to start over installing the script, but the machine booted to XBMC. But, after I installed the Network Manager to configure Wifi, I got an error message saying that it wasn't working...perhaps because the backend for it wasn't installed because of the previous issue I mentioned? Or maybe something else?
  • Sound is missing. When I watch a video, it's silent. I checked the volume and it's all the way up.
Tried a search for 12.4 but it was too short of a query, can this method work on my server running 12.4.4 LTS?
If it's ubuntu server you're running you can use the script. It's intended to be run on a clean install tough, so no guarantee nothing will break. Use at your own risk.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Thanks. I have nothing to lose but the weekend!

Update: Everything works great! Huge THANKS!!!
Hey Guys. I used your script and have been successfully running an xbmc install now for 2 years +- with pretty much no hastles. I started on a Ubuntu Minimal 12.10 I think but since then has been upgraded a few times and now is running on ubuntu 13.10. until recently I used a network cable to connect my media center to the router for internet and everything ran perfectly but recently we moved and there is no telephone line in the lounge so the router is now on the otherside of the house I figured I would just use wifi to connect but seem to have had endles troubles setting up wireless connection on headless ubuntu. after alot of fiddeling and reasearch I eventually got the wireless running but it seems xbmc now boots before the wireless so it takes a long time to load xbmc gets to the point where it says there is no network connection and the webserver and things dont load on port 8080. once xbmc is fully loaded the internet seems to work pefectly but the webserver has not loaded so I cannot access it on port 8080 and use my phone as a remote or anything.
please understand that all the settings are correct everything works fine when I use a cable to connect it is only when I use wireless connection.
Can anyone give me a solotion to this issue ?
Perhaps try adding a sleep command to the upstart script that loads XBMC in order to allow wifi to connect first?

EDIT: better solution is to have the upstart script - /etc/init/xbmc.conf - wait for proper network interface to come up...some details on similar issue here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/117584/...ng-goes-up
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
if anyone wants to give it a try my script is ready. its just brams with fixes a few additions like driver version choice and supports up to ubuntu 13.10

its on my github

easy commands to grab and execute

Code:
wget https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh
sudo su
bash ./xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh

yes i know that says "sudo su" in later ubuntu versions i was having issues with the script constantly pausing asking for password. this will make that not an issue. and dont worry about permissions. they are set accordingly (i.e. .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml is saved as xbmc for owner not root)

EDIT: if you want it to install gotham not frodo just open the script and scroll down to xbmc ppa. its not very far everything is defined at the top and change it from ppa:team-xbmc/ppa to ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
(2014-03-12, 10:46)Hack_kid Wrote: if anyone wants to give it a try my script is ready. its just brams with fixes a few additions like driver version choice and supports up to ubuntu 13.10

its on my github

Code:
wget https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh
sudo su

yes i know that says "sudo su" in later ubuntu versions i was having issues with the script constantly pausing asking for password. this will make that not an issue. and dont worry about permissions. they are set accordingly (i.e. .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml is saved as xbmc for owner not root)

EDIT: if you want it to install gotham not frodo just open the script and scroll down to xbmc ppa. its not very far everything is defined at the top and change it from ppa:team-xbmc/ppa to ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

Worked like a charm, and no problems with sound.
(2014-03-14, 06:25)ylafont Wrote:
(2014-03-12, 10:46)Hack_kid Wrote: if anyone wants to give it a try my script is ready. its just brams with fixes a few additions like driver version choice and supports up to ubuntu 13.10

its on my github

Code:
sudo su

Worked like a charm, and no problems with sound.

sweet. what version of ubuntu did you use?
made my own thread for the newer install script here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189241
just a heads up, Xvba and therefore fglrx support for AMD has been deprecated in every xbmc build in favor of vdpau support in radeon. This script currently leaves AMD users without hardware video decoding.
(2014-03-15, 08:30)Hack_kid Wrote: sweet. what version of ubuntu did you use?

12.10 64bit
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11