Win Ultra Compact HTPC With Cooling Mod (Guide)
This guide, if i can call it that, is for anyone worried about having cooling/airflow issues within a very small form-factor HTPC.
With a Simple mod you can have a powerful HTPC in the smallest form-factor out there, with no overheating issues.

The Gear

Motherbord:. ASRock B75M-ITX
CPU/GPU:.... Intel i3 3225 (HD Graphics 4000)
RAM:........... 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz DDR3
Memory:...... Kingston 90GB 600Gbs SSD
Case:.......... Q6 Mini-ITX Powercool 120w Case (Modded)
Cooling:....... Akasa K25 Low Profile Intel Cooler
Cost:........... £312 ($504)

I built this HTPC with 3 Goals in mind. Size, Power and Value. In that order. I wanted to show this build as I feel there may be others who, like me want a build with a frame the size of Keira Knightley and the power of a Mini Chuck Norris.

So, that's exactly what I did.

After doing the usual benchmarking, ( oh an for anyone on the fence about getting a SSD, DO IT, shit boots faster than a Lindsay Lohan rehab session) I come across one problem, and quiet a big one at that....Cooling.

I did anticipate this as the stock 50mm exhaust fan is as tame as a girlfriends first fart, and with the lid screwed on the low profile heat-sink, it had less clearance than Salma Hayeks cleavage. I had an idle temperature of 54C and a CPU fan speed of 3100rpm. This was very loud as the max advertised speed of the CPU fan was 3000rmp. I could get away with running HD video but any gaming would cause the CPU to go into the high 90's range and shut down quicker than Susan Boyle's karaoke career.
I decided to cut a hole right above the center of the CPU fan to improve airflow. I did this in the hope of getting a reasonable lower temperature and better airflow into the compact case. Maybe not to play games (it is a HTPC after all), but at least to idle at a more acceptable and quieter level.

With this mod I am happy to report that it has achieved a far greater result than what i anticipated. I now idle at 36c with a fan speed of 1600rpm (Near Silent). I hit mid 40s when watching HD Netflix etc and when gaming I go into the upper 60's max. This is such a marked improvement I urge anyone worried about going for such a small form factor HTPC to do so. As long as you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty.

Mod Completion time: 1 hour.

I Started by Cutting a 3 inch hole in the top of the aluminum case.

I also cut to size a piece of steel mesh which I intended to attach on later, I found with the lid screwed down it is more than adequate to hold the mesh firmly in place without the need for glue.

I then cut away a small amount of the inner HDD/SSD mounting tray exposing as much of the fan as possible.

Results:

Before Mod:
Idle:............ 56C 3100rmp (Loud)
Med Load:.... 65C 3300rpm (Very Loud)
Heavy Load:. 98C 3300rpm (Auto Shutdown)

After Mod:
Idle:............ 37C 1600rpm (Near Silent)
Med Load:.... 45C 2000rpm (Quiet)
Heavy Load:. 66C 2800rpm (Only Noticable with Low Sound)

I Hope this may be of some use to anyone looking to build a similar setup.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks for posting this, I really like the form factor and fan mod. When I do build something Ill definitely consider this. Also, the celebrity references were a nice touch.

What remote are you using?
The mobo does support IR, but because I want to use it for a little more than a HTPC, I went with the good old wireless mouse & Keyboard setup, both, once again, ultra compact.

Bazoo iBOARD FM 2.4ghz £25

LUPO 2.4GHz Wireless Ultra-thin Laser Mouse £6
Nice mod. The manufacturer of that case also makes a similar height model with ventilation on the top and the mounting plate is different in that it's not as deep and be moved forward in the case.

http://www.minicase.net/product_E-I3.html

This model was released after I had purchased the Q6, they are even releasing a newer version of my case with front usb and mini jack. Ahhh not a month old and already outdated! Gotta love technology.

My hunch is that even though this has top ventilation, without it being directly over the heat-sink, it would still hit high temp's as there is such a small amount of clearance. I think the fan would have issue drawing in cool air, rather it would be recycling the ever growing hot air inside the case.

Still a marked improvement though.
Here in the US, the Q6 is resold by Habey as the EMC-600. There's also the EMC-800 which is the E-Q5. There are a few threads over at AVSForum with similar mods. It's definitely an issue. If I order 200 of them I can get them to fix it Smile.

I haven't used the E-i3 but with the top vent in the E-i5 and E-i7 models, it does make a big difference in temperature over the EMC-800. I've built several systems in the E-i5 and E-i7 from G530 to i3-2100 to AMD A6-3500 with much success.The 77W CPUs are as high as I would go in these cases, except the E-i7 which you can add a 80mm fan to but even then I would not try a 100W AMD APU. The EMC-800 though I left that to some Atom D525 or D2700 systems.

You like the low-profile Akasa?
Nice, do you build these as a small business? I've been toying with the idea. Let's say, order a 100 each and take it from there Wink !?

As for the Akasa, it does the job, 90% of the time its whisper quiet! Ive seen some people talk of fan-less builds with Intel iSeries. I dont see how this would be possible though.
I would call it more of a hobby gone bad Smile. I get to play with a lot of fun stuff and help people get hardware they might otherwise shy away from. Not everyone wants to order from China or build it themselves. It's fun and the folks here have to get a lot of credit.
Good job Rixmat...
(2012-09-27, 01:07)Rixmat Wrote: Image

NIce....it's one of a kind....Nod

Mod is part of DIY processes......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ultra Compact HTPC With Cooling Mod (Guide)1