Is my build ok?
Hello, after building a FreeNAS machine to store all my content I'm now planning to build an HTPC to stream my stuff directly to my TV. I want the HTPC to be able to perfectly play 1080p files with a bitrate of 15-20 mbps. I have some older spare parts that make a full PC but I'm not sure if they will be good enough for a decent HTPC, so I'm asking for your help. It would be awesome to build it for free using the parts I have but I've also planned a new build in case the one I can make with these parts will not do.

This build is the one I've already got parts for:

Motherboard: a decent MSI w/ 775 socket (don't remember which one exactly)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800
GPU: I have some spare cards (an HD 4350 and a 8600GT), are they ok or I'd better buy a GT210?
PSU: Regular ATX

Cost: 30 Euros if I need a GT210.

And this is the build I've decided on, in case the first build is not ok:

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (I already have it, mistakenly purchased it some time ago)
CPU: Intel Celeron G550
RAM: 2GB DDR3-1333
GPU: Nvidia GT210 1GB w/ passive cooler (ASUS)
PSU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150896746361 <-- this with a 60W power brick I've got or should I buy a more powerful brick?

Cost: 100 Euros

I will build my own case for the HTPC and I also have spare HDD's.
Your existing motherboard and processor should be very good with the right video card and 2GB more RAM.

Now, if the video cards you already have are "ok" depends on what features you want. Do you care about HD audio bitstreaming? 3D? What are you planning to use for HTPC software (Operating system? XBMC "flavor"?). What you want to do and the OS/software you want to run will dictate which card might be best -- one you already have or GT210, GT520, GT430, HD6570, etc.

ok, but missing hd audio and probably uses a lot of power (and generates a lot of heat)...

Edit: the build suggestion looks ok but 60w is not enough I would go for a 150w minimum with a dedicated GPU
(2012-09-27, 20:54)giorgisp Wrote: PSU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150896746361 <-- this with a 60W power brick I've got or should I buy a more powerful brick?

These guys are also on eBay. I would look at what they have for picoPSU/AC adapter combos.

http://www.short-circuit.com/categories/...ombos.html

With a discrete GPU I would look at the 120W/120W solutions.

(2012-09-27, 22:52)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Your existing motherboard and processor should be very good with the right video card and 2GB more RAM.

Now, if the video cards you already have are "ok" depends on what features you want. Do you care about HD audio bitstreaming? 3D? What are you planning to use for HTPC software (Operating system? XBMC "flavor"?). What you want to do and the OS/software you want to run will dictate which card might be best -- one you already have or GT210, GT520, GT430, HD6570, etc.

The motherboard in question has 2 DDR2 slots and I found a spare 2GB module I had so I can put 3GB total. It will probably be enough, no? I don't have a 3D TV so I don't care about 3D right now, and I'm ok without audio bitstreaming. I'll probably install XBMCbuntu. I only plan to use it to stream movies from the NAS.

(2012-09-27, 23:03)RaggSokk3n Wrote: ok, but missing hd audio and probably uses a lot of power (and generates a lot of heat)...

Edit: the build suggestion looks ok but 60w is not enough I would go for a 150w minimum with a dedicated GPU

My old motherboard has an SPDIF coaxial output that I use to connect it to my AV receiver. I don't care that much about power efficiency since I'm not going to use the HTPC all day. That's what I though too about the psu. I'll probably get a 180w pico psu and a power brick to match, if I build the HTPC with new parts. I was thinking about the pico psu to make the PC more compact and quiet but if I'm gonna pay 60$ for it I'd rather use an ATX psu.

Actually, tomorrow I'll build the HTPC with the parts I've got and see if it fits my needs.
(2012-09-27, 23:24)giorgisp Wrote: Actually, tomorrow I'll build the HTPC with the parts I've got and see if it fits my needs.

IMHO, this is the best approach. If it doesn't fit your needs, then swap the video card and work from there. Your CPU will not be any issue. Performance-wise, an SSD might make a big impact too -- at least it does with Windows -- not so sure about the Linux flavors.
(2012-09-27, 23:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-09-27, 20:54)giorgisp Wrote: PSU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150896746361 <-- this with a 60W power brick I've got or should I buy a more powerful brick?

These guys are also on eBay. I would look at what they have for picoPSU/AC adapter combos.

http://www.short-circuit.com/categories/...ombos.html

With a discrete GPU I would look at the 120W/120W solutions.

The cheapest 120W adapter I could find on ebay costs $37 with shipping to my country + $25 for a 120W pico psu = $67. I'd rather spend this money on better GPU, or save it.
Do you already have an ATX power supply? If not we can suggest some -- something 300W with 80 PLUS or 80 PLUS Bronze would be good.
If size doesn't matter than I would definitely go for a ATX PSU.
Good thinking on testing what you already have :-) Go for the 4350 to start with, the 8600 is to hot.
I built the HTPC with the old parts. I used the GT8600 GPU, 3GB of ram and a 250GB sata drive.

It works perfectly! It found all my movies from the FreeNAS server in a snap and playback is nice and smooth. Also even though the motherboard's ethernet adapter is just fast ethernet and not gigabit, even some 50gb movies I have stream flawlessly.

The only problem is that the hardware isn't compact and it gets hot (while watching movies the CPU hits 62C and the GPU 70-75C). But it's fine until I allocate some money for new hardware, an SSD and a nice case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is my build ok?0