New HTPC BUILD ( Hard drive hotter than CPU . Help!!)
Hello guys,

I am having some problems with my htpc that i cant understand.

to summarise, I just built a new htpc in the Wesena E5 based on the AMD A8-3820 quad core 65 TDP processor, a WD Cavair Green 3TB 5400rpm drive and the Gelid Silence Slim cooler. The case came with just 2 x 60mm fans - one near the hard drive mount and the other by the rear of the case. When I first set up the build with the 2 fans, I discovered that my hard drive temps where averaging at 50-54 deg C when watching video or downloading. I even left the case let the case open and i was still getting temps of about 48 deg C when the cpu was at 37 deg C!! the readings were taken using Speedfan.

I have since purchased 2 more additional 60mm Scythe Mini Kaze fans and fitted this by the hard drive and running at 5V plus the cpu cooler set at level 1 to keep noise down.I have also switched to a pico psu all in an effort to reduce the heat in the case. Right now the hard drive temp is saying 50 deg C on Speedfan and I am not doing anything at all and the Cpu is at just 38 deg C !!!

Is it normal for hard drive temps to be in the 50's? Will i fry my hard drive if it is running at lets say 52 deg C ? This build is driving me mad!! I have spent so much on this already and would just want a silent system that dosent sound like a hair dryer!!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Does the case of the HDD really feel that hot by touch? Maybe Speedfan is inaccurate?
(2012-09-28, 02:42)artrafael Wrote: Does the case of the HDD really feel that hot by touch? Maybe Speedfan is inaccurate?

Well it feels warm.. I wouldnt exactly say it was scolding hot but a bit warmer than warm if you catch my drift.

I cant just understand for the life of me why it is at 50 deg C.. I mean the case is pretty uncluttered and although it dosent have alot of vents i would have thought it would have been better. Is 52 deg C too hot for a drive with operating temp of 0 - 60 deg C ?

I thought these caviar green drives are meant to run "cool" ... just been one problem after another on this build for me..Sad
I'm confused, a green warmer than 30 degrees? It should spinn down while in low activity. Check if you can hear it spin down if you can't, something is very wrong.
Also check if you have installed anything that might keep the hard drive too busy to slow down.
I am confused myself. Although this is my first build ,I had expected it to be much cooler.

Woke up this morning and checked the temps again as i was just downloading overnight. The cpu temp is 32 deg C but the hard drive is at 49 degrees!! I have never seen it in the 30's.

I do not have anything installed. The only thing I can think of is that I have S.M.A.R.T enabled in the bios. Could this be the problem?
No, might be a faulty drive - contact the distibutor you used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC BUILD ( Hard drive hotter than CPU . Help!!)0