HDMI Audio and Dolby Digital
Hello,

I recently build a new HTPC with a i3 3235 on an ASRock H77 Pro4-m motherboard. I am connecting it via HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-52 AVR which then outputs to my TV. The problem I am having is that whenever I select the option that my AVC is dolby digital capable, I get no audio. All of the other options are enabled. I'm running 12 btw. I know my AVR supports Dolby Digital, along with most other formats. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks
Debug Log
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I would suggest making sure your Winodws settings are correct.

First check the HDMI is set as the Default audio device

Then check what is listed in Supported Formats

Finally ensure both Exclusive Mode settings are ticked

Then in XBMC you should have a screen like this since you say it's v12 build (by the way please specify the exact build you are using)

Make sure HDMI is selected
Speaker configuration is set to what you have
Set both Audio & Passthrough Output devices to the WASAPI HDMI device
I setup everything in windows exactly how you have it and it still won't play any sound. Here is my debug log

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9500

I'm running the nightly build from 9/28/12.
Checked your log: there's no errors nor unexpected entries. Basically it all looks good from here. Can you play any Dolby? Other formats?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-09-29, 08:55)gamer3999 Wrote: I recently build a new HTPC with a i3 3235 on an ASRock H77 Pro4-m motherboard.
Since you have a powerful Intel i3-3235 with HD4000 iGPU, you can try these configurations.....

-Uninstall Realtek in Windows 7 control panel/programs/programs and features
-Update Intel latest driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
-Disable DXVA2 and select Software as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
-Disable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output
-Select Intel HDMI audio output in control panel sound/playback
-Select HDMI audio output in XBMC settings/audio output, and then selects all the capable receiver options and WASAPI: Intel HDMI output (Intel high definition....)

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I haven't tested any other formats yet. I've been trying to get ac3 5.1 to work. I noticed my receiver will change signals depending on which output I am using. When I have HDMI selected in XBMC it says stereo on the lcd panel. When I switch to analog it says PCM and the audio will play. I'm not sure how that works when it's going through HDMI in the first place. I am running the latest Intel drivers.
(2012-09-29, 19:33)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-29, 08:55)gamer3999 Wrote: I recently build a new HTPC with a i3 3235 on an ASRock H77 Pro4-m motherboard.
Since you have a powerful Intel i3-3235 with HD4000 iGPU, you can try these configurations.....

-Uninstall Realtek in Windows 7 control panel/programs/programs and features
-Update Intel latest driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
-Disable DXVA2 and select Software as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
-Disable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output
-Select Intel HDMI audio output in control panel sound/playback
-Select HDMI audio output in XBMC settings/audio output, and then selects all the capable receiver options and WASAPI: Intel HDMI output (Intel high definition....)

I did what you said, but that doesn't seem to work either. Sad
Ok, another update. I am able to play truehd and dts-hd. Just not really anything else.
Can't reproduce here - all AC3 plays fine. Is there a firmware update for your receiver or perhaps a setting wrong in it? I would think that the forums would be flooded pretty quick if AC3 (Dolby) were messed up and I can't see anything wrong in your log...
I just fixed it! On the receiver there is a "fixed PCM" option that was enabled. Turning it off fixed it. I guess it was trying to force everything through PCM or something like that.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.
(2012-09-29, 21:21)gamer3999 Wrote: I just fixed it! On the receiver there is a "fixed PCM" option that was enabled. Turning it off fixed it. I guess it was trying to force everything through PCM or something like that.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.
With the proper iGPU driver and configurations, it should work.....

I'm glad that you got it to work now....enjoy it....Nod

Excellent - I would hate to see a clean log like that and it not work lol
I'm running 64bit Windows 8.1 with the latest Intel HD 4400 graphics drivers and an Onkyo SR-705 and having the same issue (the intel drivers have been kind of a nightmare with the latest version of Windows). I don't see a Fix PCM option on the receiver. The only thing I could find was something about listening mode presents. There was also something in the advanced settings that says it could change a setting to DTS from PCM, but it didn't seem to work for me. These files play fine when played on a separate Windows 7 computer with computer speakers. Any ideas?
The 64bit Windows 8.1 with HD4000 on my Surface Pro is working fine on my Onkyo receivers. I watched The Shawshank Redemption using Surface last weekl. The XBMC 12.3 audio output is identical to the screen shot of my AMD HTPC below-

My settings are looking like that (except the Play GUI sounds and it set to 5.1 instead of 3.1). My issue isn't that the audio isn't working, it's that the sound+video aren't being processed when they should (and are on other machines).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio and Dolby Digital0