Where to begin?
Question 
I want to buy an HTPC and to install XBMC on it, but I don't know where to start.
At first, I wanted to use an XBox 360, but apparently XBMC doesn't support it anymore (I saw there's another project called XBMC4XBOX, which supports it).

I don't know how to install XBMC on a HTPC, the only manuals here I saw is for installing it on a PC, as a remote control for the HTPC. Also, I'll need to connect it to an exist reciever, in order to use its services (channels and EPG).

Thanks.
XBMC4XBOX is for the old Xbox, there's no possibility of 360.

Build a computer or buy a nettop, install windows or Linux.

Anything that has any nvidia card with HDMI out will make it a snap to connect one cable to your receiver.
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
It depends on what your looking for ...

What do you want to do with the machine, only XBMC or do you want to game with it as well ?

What kind of receiver do you have ?
What kind of TV ?
do you have room for a full HTPC or do you want a mini player
About how much are you looking to spend ?
Are you "cutting the cord" or are you going to continue to have cable/sat ?

* I disagree with the nvidia comment, if you build a computer, get a intel board with a i3
I saw that in this forum some are using nettops - I saw a thread asking about Dell Zino. Is it good as an HTPC? And what about a remote control? I heard about Logitech diNovo Mini Keyboard, but it's seems to be more useful for remotely controlling a PC's mouse and keyboard and less for an HTPC. About my receiver, I don't know much about it, because I'm not from the US, and I don't know which company produced it - will a photo of its ports help? And yes, it only for XBMC. About the installation, do I install XBMC over Windows/Linux on the nettop?
(2012-09-30, 02:15)galz Wrote: About the installation, do I install XBMC over Windows/Linux on the nettop?

XBMC is an application, so you install it on top of either Windows or Linux. However, there are some bundled offerings, such as XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC that include both the OS and XBMC. In these cases, yes, you'd wipe out the pre-installed OS when you install XBMbuntu or OpenELEC.
If you only want XBMC ...

Then the next question is do you plan on having at one tv or multiple

either way I would go with a Zotac ZBOX (it comes with a remote and a HDMI output) if your new to this and some what good with computers I would load xbmcbuntu or openelec ... its going to give you the best performance for the money

if you want multiple tvs then you need some kinda of storage device, most people are fans of unraid, I personally like freenas but either way you can get a way with a 32 GB ssd in your zbox

if you only want 1 tv then just put a big hard drive in the zbox

if your not in to loading the software and everything your self you can get it preinstalled and configured at xbmchardware.com
(2012-09-30, 04:00)anthony.selby Wrote: If you only want XBMC ...

either way I would go with a Zotac ZBOX (it comes with a remote and a HDMI output) if your new to this and some what good with computers I would load xbmcbuntu or openelec ... its going to give you the best performance for the money

if you want multiple tvs then you need some kinda of storage device, most people are fans of unraid, I personally like freenas but either way you can get a way with a 32 GB ssd in your zbox

if your not in to loading the software and everything your self you can get it preinstalled and configured at xbmchardware.com

The zbox does not support xbmcbuntu, openELEC and windows 7 are the only options. And 32Gb SSD won't cut it if he goes for W7, he'll have to go for 60Gb.
If you want a nettop with AMD E-450 (1.65 GHz) 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, and Windows 7 64 bit pre-installed, the best deal right now for a brand new HTPC is the Revo RL70 for $299.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-NA-_-NA

I have 4 of these running XBMCbuntu, using Aeon NOX skin, loaded with family movies (all 720p mkv BluRay rips) streaming to LED TVs in waiting rooms. They really do have great bang for your buck.

Also, this Lenovo Q180 with Intel Atom D2700 (2.13 GHz), 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, and Windows 7 is a smoking deal right now for $320!!:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883108712

Have fun!!
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-09-30, 09:07)maddog808 Wrote: If you want a nettop with AMD E-450 (1.65 GHz) 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, and Windows 7 64 bit pre-installed, the best deal right now for a brand new HTPC is the Revo RL70 for $299.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-NA-_-NA

I have 4 of these running XBMCbuntu, using Aeon NOX skin, loaded with family movies (all 720p mkv BluRay rips) streaming to LED TVs in waiting rooms. They really do have great bang for your buck.

Also, this Lenovo Q180 with Intel Atom D2700 (2.13 GHz), 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, and Windows 7 is a smoking deal right now for $320!!:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883108712

Have fun!!

Does it has a remote?
And how do I connect it to a receiver?

And it's for only one TV.
I'd also recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. It comes pre-installed with Windows 7 and comes with a remote.
(2012-09-30, 08:25)RaggSokk3n Wrote:
(2012-09-30, 04:00)anthony.selby Wrote: If you only want XBMC ...

The zbox does not support xbmcbuntu, openELEC and windows 7 are the only options. And 32Gb SSD won't cut it if he goes for W7, he'll have to go for 60Gb.

What are you talking about, I run xbmcbuntu on a ZBOX with a 32GB SSD it works perfect ( I had to remap a couple of the remote buttons ) but its fast and smooth and works great
Thanks for the help, but I still have a problem – how to connect the receiver to the HTPC. I searched a manual for the receivers of the TV services provider I'm subscribed to, and it turns out that in order to use the services of the receiver I must buy a few PCBs which I have no idea what to do with, or at least that is what claimed there. Is anybody knows another method to connect a receiver to an HTPC? BTW, this is the manual: http://www.hometheater.co.il/article0145...%D7%99-Yes
It deals with another software, but I guess it doesn't really matters. You may use Google Translate, although the names of the hardware devices are mentioned in English.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to begin?0