Ilegal Characters in Artists Name
I have a question,

None of my extrafanart/logos/banners work for AC/DC, and i'm believing it is because of the slash in the artist name.
So how do you manage to search for the artists name when it has an illegal character in the name (I currently use an underscore for illegal characters i.e AC/DC becomes the folder AC_DC)

How SHOULD i rename the folder for all extraart to work with it?
Um? Ok? Nobody else know the answer to this? Simple question... how are illegal characters in folder/filenames expected to be handled?
we always look in PATH FROM SKIN SETTINGS/ARTISTNAME/
you´d have to change the tags then to something your filesystem supports afaik.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
changing the tag defeats the purpose of tagging in the first place, i'd say. Isn't there anyway you can account for this. Almost every import/export/encoder i know uses underscore to replace illegal characters, can this not be taken into account (or is there a reason you can't use the path from xbmc for the artist, the same as you do for TV Shows? Because it does keep the path to the artist's folder in the database)
(2012-10-02, 02:44)JeromyNix Wrote: changing the tag defeats the purpose of tagging in the first place, i'd say. Isn't there anyway you can account for this. Almost every import/export/encoder i know uses underscore to replace illegal characters, can this not be taken into account (or is there a reason you can't use the path from xbmc for the artist, the same as you do for TV Shows? Because it does keep the path to the artist's folder in the database)

The Artist path is not provided by XBMC, so skins(and addons) don't have direct access to the Artist's path. Also XBMC does not provide skins the ability to replace the illegal characters in paths(That is I don't think it does)
(2012-10-02, 02:44)JeromyNix Wrote: changing the tag defeats the purpose of tagging in the first place, i'd say. Isn't there anyway you can account for this. Almost every import/export/encoder i know uses underscore to replace illegal characters, can this not be taken into account (or is there a reason you can't use the path from xbmc for the artist, the same as you do for TV Shows? Because it does keep the path to the artist's folder in the database)

in Eden we only use a workaround to show all that music artwork which implies that we have to "guess" the folder name. we do that by using the tags from xbmc database in the path. since we skinners have no functions to edit those strings there is nothing we can do about this.

if we´re lucky this will be changed for Frodo, but not in our hands.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2012-10-02, 02:59)phil65 Wrote:

in Eden we only use a workaround to show all that music artwork which implies that we have to "guess" the folder name. we do that by using the tags from xbmc database in the path. since we skinners have no functions to edit those strings there is nothing we can do about this.

if we´re lucky this will be changed for Frodo, but not in our hands.

Ok, i can definately understand that, but there should be a function accessible to skinners to replace illegal file/folder characters it would make alot of things simpler when adding non-native XBMC features that involve folder/file locations, i'm posting a ticket for it
In the meantime i'll just change all the artist/album artists tags in my AC/DC files to AC_DC, luckily i can do it as a batch, and AC/DC doesn't ever feature extra artists!
hey maybe i can write a simple add-on script that will do the job... i've been meaning to try my hand at python scripting for xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ilegal Characters in Artists Name0