[Frodo] Firewall popup - allow incoming connections
Sure, it's probably an XBMC bug, but the point still stands that there currently isn't anyone free to fix it.

As for those audio settings, I am 99.9999% sure that has nothing to do with the firewall issue.
(2014-03-04, 09:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Sure, it's probably an XBMC bug, but the point still stands that there currently isn't anyone free to fix it.

As for those audio settings, I am 99.9999% sure that has nothing to do with the firewall issue.

Please read my newly re-edited post on the previous page (you must have replied about the time I posted the final edited version). They are related in so much as they're both in the same settings file that is being corrupted by older/newer versions of the program. In other words, the problem is the guisettings.xml file changes with each version and not in a good way. Delete the file and generate a clean one and not only do the audio settings disappear, but so do the Firewall nag requesters (true of generating a new file in either Eden or Frodo; just don't run the other one afterwards or it will get corrupted with incompatible settings once again).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
ticket created http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14977
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-03-04, 10:41)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2014-03-04, 09:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Sure, it's probably an XBMC bug, but the point still stands that there currently isn't anyone free to fix it.

Please read my newly re-edited post on the previous page (you must have replied about the time I posted the final edited version). They are related in so much as they're both in the same settings file that is being corrupted by older/newer versions of the program. In other words, the problem is the guisettings.xml file changes with each version and not in a good way. Delete the file and generate a clean one and not only do the audio settings disappear, but so do the Firewall nag requesters (true of generating a new file in either Eden or Frodo; just don't run the other one afterwards or it will get corrupted with incompatible settings once again).

Huh, that's... really weird. I'll try doing the Eden to Frodo thing on my MBP when I get a chance.
(2014-03-04, 13:02)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-03-04, 10:41)VonMagnum Wrote:

Huh, that's... really weird. I'll try doing the Eden to Frodo thing on my MBP when I get a chance.

Reading the ticket comments, I get the impression that perhaps they think I'm implying the audio setting causes the problem when it's just two sides of the same coin (script). In other words, I'm pretty certain it's not the audio setting changes that causes the Firewall "Allow" nag requester to come up. While annoying for it to cut audio out for no apparent reason (at first; you eventually find the 2.0 went to 2.1 if you look hard enough for it), that section of code is the same on a clean file generation so that means the section that causes the firewall nag requester is somewhere else in the file. It's the same root cause (i.e. something changed between the two versions that oddly causes the same error in both when run one after another), but the part that makes the Firewall requester pop-up is somewhere else in the same file. I'll try and isolate it if I can. I've got copies of the different files here. It's just a matter of finding which differences set the Firewall requester off. The strange thing is that there is NO setting in the Securitiy Firewall setting for XBMC with a clean file (i.e. if there was one created by that previously, you can delete it and XBMC will NOT make a new one with a clean file. In other words, it doesn't even use the incoming ports that require permission in the firewall here when it's operating correctly and thus doesn't need to be self-signed or anything else).

Of course, to easily avoid the problem in the future without spending a lot of time trying to find why it doesn't get along with Eden and prior scripts, they could just use a slightly different named guisettings file for Frodo and newer versions than Eden and older versions so they don't interfere with each other again. Leave the old settings file as a legacy settings file that only exists if the user has/had an older version around and leave a note in the ReadMe file or whatever to let the user know of the possible corrupted file problem if they are upgrading from an older install or run an older version with those versions prior to the change.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
OK, after hours of pissing with the guisettings.xml file and a few false leads (somehow a </resolutions> tag got changed to <resolutions /> here and that was causing Frodo to startup normally without the error, except that it was disabling Airplay in the process somehow, at least the first time, but I've not been able to get that typo to duplicate so I have no idea how it got in there in the first place.

In any case, the REAL cause of the Firewall requester is much more ominous and that is the AIRPLAY setting. If in SERVICES in the guisettings.xml file, you have <airplay>true</airplay> (i.e. in settings airplay is enabled), you will get the Firewall "Allow" requester every time you start. The reason a clean guisettings.xml file gets rid of the problem is that Airplay is by default turned OFF in XBMC when a new file is generated.

While it does not change the value in the stored setting in Preferences/Security/Firewall "Firewall Options" list when you tell it allow or deny after the first time, it does actually change the firewall setting in OS X for that session (i.e. even though XBMC preferences claim Airplay is ON, it won't work as it never gets the signal if you select deny for that session). In fact, the moment you enable Airplay in XBMC preferences, the Firewall Allow requester pops up instantly in XBMC. If you leave Airplay turned OFF in preferences (false in guisettings.xml), it will NOT bug you with the Firewall requester each time you start XBMC. In short, the problem lies solely in the Airplay support code somewhere.

Note that you can freely switch between Eden and Frodo or Gotham without any Firewall requesters so long as you leave Airplay OFF (I'm personally leaving it off until such time as I might actually need to use it on a case by case basis since I rarely use it on my server computer and my old Apple TV Gen1's running Eden use RemoteHD to add Airplay support inside the AppleTV interface itself, so I have no need for Airplay to be enabled on my AppleTV units either way plus Eden only had audio airplay support).

Meanwhile, the audio setting import bug is real and going back and forth between Eden and Frodo or Gotham will result in the General Audio setting being changed from 2.0 (from Eden) to 2.1 in Frodo/Gotham every time and you will have no sound at all until you switch it back to 2.0 inside Frodo or Gotham. The bug there does no work in reverse (i.e. 2.0 in Frodo/Gotham will still be 2.0 in Eden, but will be 2.1 when you run Frodo/Gotham again after Eden).
Does the http server setting has the same effect on the firewall?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2014-03-05, 00:30)Memphiz Wrote: Does the http server setting has the same effect on the firewall?

I just tried it. Yes, it does.
I tried various things and OSX seems to remember when I tell it to allow XBMC to connect. OSX 10.8 on a 2009 MBP. I'll try it on a 10.9 machine when I get the chance.

*shrug*
Ok so the real problem is - this popup starts to nag whenever XBMC openes a port it listens on (webserver, upnp server, airplay - those are the ones i can remember out of my head). Makes sense. But the problem that it doesn't remember the setting definitly sounds like some sort of bug (in osx imo - doesn't matter that it only happens on xbmc - we just open tcp ports we listen on and the os detects this and nags).
New ticket created with the real bugreport http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14984 *sigh*
(2014-03-04, 07:03)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-03-04, 06:47)clipper99 Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 00:21)Ned Scott Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1604493

I looked at that, scratched my head, shrugged, and turned off my firewall....which had previously been off for like, FOREVER, until I turned it on the other day just for laughs. Then I started getting the annoying pop-up we're discussing. So far, in over 3 years of OSX I've yet to encounter anything I'd consider a malicious attempt to hack me...unlike my prior 20+ years of Windows crumbling under a constant barrage of exploits.

However, that being said, I mean...c'mon...just do some programming voodoo to get rid of it. It's the ONLY program I've encountered where "allow this program" won't stick. Smile

Well, the programming might not be "hard" (or it might be, I honestly don't know), but I think the first issue is man power. Only very recently have some long standing audio issues in Mac OS X have been fixed for XBMC, and that required some devs who don't normally touch OS X having to see what they could do, and various things going back and forth, and such. Our OS X devs are also devs for other platforms and features. There's only so many hours in the week they can spend on XBMC before the beer in the fridge runs dry. When that happens then things like this are placed lower on "the list".

That's also assuming it's something that doesn't require some programming speciality, as even with just Mac OS X, no one person can really know very part of OS X programming. Or that it's even an area that the devs want to donate their time to work on.

Another factor is that XBMC isn't a typical OS X application. Even within typical OS X apps, only a few will make network connections in a way that would touch the firewall, I assume. On top of that, XBMC is a cross platform app that has several parts that don't always do things in an OS-native way.

I'm not a programmer myself, and I'm not trying to say this won't happen or make excuses. This is just to shed a little light on what happens behind the scenes. I have no doubt that this has been quite annoying for many users, but they should know that there's many factors involved when it comes to fixing issues and working on XBMC Smile

I definitely appreciate all the hard work and talent that these fine people donate in order to make XBMC the amazing program it is. On that note maybe they could make it a real app or os x, windows, iOS (And dare to dream Xbox One) etc. I would gladly pay for this app as I'm sure tons of other people would as well. That would give the team much needed funds and then they could be a signed developer therefore eliminating the pop up. And maybe even an annual renewal fee something small like 5-10 bucks. I think its a little sad that these guys put in so much effort and then have to deal with our small gripes with no reward for there effort.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
It has nothing to do with funds or being a "real" app or not. We feel it's not really in line with the spirit of open source to have to pay for developer access just to use XBMC.
(2014-03-06, 05:22)Ned Scott Wrote: It has nothing to do with funds or being a "real" app or not. We feel it's not really in line with the spirit of open source to have to pay for developer access just to use XBMC.

Fair enough all I meant it is that it would be a nice way for those of us without the skills to make XBMC awesome to be able to contribute and show our appreciation.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
Wink 
Just spread the love in other ways dude - help an old lady across the street if yr XBMC is making you happy Angel

Would love to know if this airplay issue (I tested this the other night and came to the exact same conclusion before finding this thread) is fixed in Gotham or if the popup problem remains? I'm guessing its the same deal.... as the issue is with Mavericks not XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Frodo] Firewall popup - allow incoming connections0