Question on new HTPC hardware for XBMC
Hey everyone,
I apologize if this is one of those questions thats been flogged to death but i have only seen short answers in my searches so i thought i would ask directly, what are the challenges with using a HTPC case with a built in touchscreen with XBMC?
I like the idea and execution of something like the Silverstone CW03
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.ph...61&area=en
or the Origin S21T
http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s21t.htm
What i have read just says that XBMC doesn't really like it, with the issue being lack of driver support and the like in Linux. What about running the windows version? Is there any integration at all? Is there any plans to?
I am not making any kind of feature requests or anything mind you, i just have had some really horrible luck with non-xbmc solutions (my boxee box crapped and the WD Live media streamer i just got STILL makes me want to hang myself even though i've decided to move on from it) and i want build something that will fit in with my current setup aesthetically, and maybe add some functionality. I like the idea of using the touchscreen as a control method in case the remote isn't immediately available, stuff like that. I have acer aspire revo's running on 2 other TVs in my house and they have been rock solid, but i am willing to shell out a bit more for this one the look of it is kinda important as this will be more visible than the other machines.
I wouldn't get one of those. I would instead get something where I could mount a small tablet or PMP (say, iPod touch sized) in the case and just load a native remote app or use a web interface add-on. For example, I bought a broken iPod touch off ebay to do exactly this. It can't hold a charge, but that won't matter if it's mounted inside a case.
Not a bad idea... do you have any pictures of this? I would be a bit concerned with this looking a little bit cobbled together... and i suck at fabricating... well... anything. Tongue
Even if you didn't attach it to the case, you could have the tablet sit on a cradle near/on the media center.

(2012-10-01, 18:22)Ned Scott Wrote: I wouldn't get one of those. I would instead get something where I could mount a small tablet or PMP (say, iPod touch sized) in the case and just load a native remote app or use a web interface add-on. For example, I bought a broken iPod touch off ebay to do exactly this. It can't hold a charge, but that won't matter if it's mounted inside a case.

For FAQ's sake, why not? Is there a compatibility issue or are yoy saying you just think it's overpriced. I'd like to know about the former if it's an issue so if I get asked the same question I can answer it inteliigently. Thanks.
I think it's overpriced for what you get. Used PMPs/touch screen phones with web browsers can be had for less than $50 on ebay and will often offer a lot more options. The remotes and web add-on UIs are a lot nicer, too.
Thats fine, and at the risk of sounding slightly like a jerk, my question wasn't "what has a better value to you". I can appreciate that you don't see value in it, but my question was more technical.
I apologize if i sound ungrateful, and i appreciate the option that i never really thought of, but i would still like to know of the technical limitations for one of these cases if there is one.
I think that you are looking for this- The new version : Yatse 2 is available here ->

The S21T is simply sexy......Nod
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
That... is total genius... crap. Now i want the touchscreen case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question on new HTPC hardware for XBMC0