Linux Switching off LCD monitor causes high CPU
I think in this case you can blame the amp and the gfx card. A display sink should deliver EDID even it it's powered off. There should be an EPROM powered by the client which can be read via I2C. This seems not to be the case with your amp.
I think the CRT mode is a fallback by the graphics driver. I guess you would see the same mode if you power up your box with no display connected at all. Then after switching on your amp it delivers EDID and triggers an xrandr event. The modes are detected (see log). Powering off the amp in you case is like pulling the plug. Well, this should not lead to a system hang but it's an odd use case from point of view of the gfx.
Thanks for the help. I think the gfx drivers are a big culprit here, since it seems that people have similar issues in other software (even windows) when they use relatively new catalyst drives, but it's appareltly isn't reproducible in the older ones. I found an bug report subitted to AMD, sadly no response and no action. Well, one can hope that new drivers fix this.
I don't notice the issue with XBMC running in Windowed mode. Switching off LCD does not spike CPU usage.
@kultsinuppeli your log shows that you have set vsync not to ALWAYS. You should definitely do so.
Thanks. did that. The good news, is that the idle CPU usage went down, but it didn't help the 100% CPU issue.
Hi

Just to let you know that. I've came up against this issue yesterday after making some changes to my system. After a bit of diagnosis the it turned out to be because I changed the refresh rate of my graphics card from 1080p @ 60Hz to 50Hz.

My setup is:

XBMC > Intel 3000 HD > Onkyo AVR > Panasonic Plasma

When I turned off the Onkyo and kept my HTPC running the CPU spiked.

I've now changed back to 60Hz and it works fine. Strange thing is when I switched back to 50Hz I couldn't repeat the bug but I'll keep it at 60Hz just to be on the safe side. (XBMC is set to change the refresh to match the source material anyway)

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation

Regards

T
Thanks so much for the testing... I'll try that on my mediacenter this weekend...
Hi again,

I've been testing my mediacenter with a different display, seeing that this high CPU usage does not appear.

I'm pretty sure this bug appears when the TV is not sending the correct EDID values when it's switched off. Does anyone know how can I tell XBMC not to fetch for those values over and over again on this situtation?

Thanks
Hi,

When I found this thread, I had already posted a new one, which is baout the very same issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205634
Difference is that I have Geforce and Windows.

Is there a solution already for this problem?
(2013-06-03, 10:03)theopulus Wrote: Hi again,

I've been testing my mediacenter with a different display, seeing that this high CPU usage does not appear.

I'm pretty sure this bug appears when the TV is not sending the correct EDID values when it's switched off. Does anyone know how can I tell XBMC not to fetch for those values over and over again on this situtation?

Thanks

It's nothing xbmc does. You can try to hardcode the EDID information with drm_kms_helper. Make sure to use a very, very recent kernel - best is drm-intel-nightly. Use the forum search on howto use drm_kms_helper.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just an update:

-If my LG 32LS570 TV is connected and its turned off, then xbmc CPU load is high (~12%)
-If my LG 32LS570 TV is connected and its turned ON, then xbmc CPU load is low (~1%)
-If my Samsung LE40A656 TV is conencted and turned off, then xbmc CPU load is low (~1%)
-If my Samsung LE40A656 TV is conencted and turned ON, then xbmc CPU load is low(~1%)
-If I plug out the HDMI from the PC, then CPU load goes back to 12%, regardless of which TV was connected.

So Im wondering if the fault is originating from my LG TV or from xbmc, as cpu load is also high when nothing is connected.
Im thinking about contacting LG support, but even if the fault is due to the TV itself, isnt it possible to fix this from xbmc side? So What if xbmc would be made being able to handle such TV bugs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching off LCD monitor causes high CPU1