ebook library/scraper
even if we had to generate the book list with calibre or the like i just want to be able to search and load my ebooks from xbmc so i am not constantly loging in and out
I dont think i'll ever read a book on my tv, but it would be cool to link like you can between movies and tv series, so you could eg flick between your walking dead tv show and graphic novels.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would really like to see this feature. I only use XBMC at my laptop — I don't have a cellular phone or a television. But, I use it mostly for browsing my music library and for the occasional movie. Ebooks would be great addition to it! (I'd love to see a light theme for XBMC (white and grey, flat-UI style, which I've wanted anyway) to go with an ebook reader — white-on-black books wouldn't be fun.) Thanks for the awesome media center!
I agree that this is a needed feature. 1) books are media 2) resolution is constantly improving on televisions and many other devices. 3) I personally have a XMBC/Kodi device in every room in my house - I would love to make it easier for my kids to read an ebook from the same interface they use to watch a movie. and I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but I have a device in my kitchen and I use it to watch video recipes while cooking but I would love to add ebook recipies to its ability.
I looked at writing a recipe addon a while ago, but was very disappointed at the api's of the recipe websites.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I like the idea of using Library e-books in the Kodi.
Sorry to bump it up again.
But imho it is not all about reading ebooks on TV.
It is also about scraping and browsing the library and reading comics on the big screen or sending them to the reader device.
So what about creating a first step: the scraper.
Maybe the Calibre project already has a library to cover the needs.
At next there could be implemented a "send to"-function to transfer the selected book to the reader device.
And last - but not least - the renderpart. May the Calibre team could help to migrate their libs?
There is no need to create a full featured final version of an ebook part.
It could be a step by step design.
Ebooks should have sufficient metadata in them to not need much scraped.
With use of "COPS" i was able to read ebooks in a Webbrowser.
But i could'nt find a way to link my content from kodi to my link in COPS.
Cops is a content Server which generates its content on base of the calibre library.
My approache: (german) http://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Threa...verwalten/
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
(2015-01-22, 03:36)nickr Wrote: Ebooks should have sufficient metadata in them to not need much scraped.

Usually, yes. But even Calibre scrapes for missing information. Often covers are missing or horribly done, the synopsis is weak or uniform naming conventions were completely ignored when authoring the digital publication. Filling in those blanks would be extremely useful.
Hi All,

Seemed like a few people wanted the ability for an eBook reader, so I have been having a little play.

I now have something that seems to be able to read epub ebooks.

This is at a very early stage, and I will expand on it if people are interested (But didn't want to go too far if there was no longer an interest). If you wanted to try it out, then the addon can be downloaded from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1v3j95...sp=sharing

Then put a copy of an epub in a directory and point to that directory from the settings.

It should be available from the "Programs" and "Pictures" addons section, and it should list the book (Giving it's author and title - plus the cover if it is embeded in the epub file), then if you click on it, you should see all the chapters for that book, then click on a chapter and it should be displayed.

It's pretty rough at the moment, and I have only tried it on one epub file.

There are loads of things that I guess could be added to it, but wanted to make the beta available for now.

Rob
Keep going, there is interest!
(2015-09-09, 12:00)nickr Wrote: Keep going, there is interest!

It would be good if a few people could try it out with their epub files and report issues (Maybe PM me copies of ePubs that do not work) - I have tried it on a few I have got hold of, but not that many

Rob
I am pretty busy with work at the moment, and moving house shortly. It may be a couple of weeks.
I tested it and it works great. None of my books gave any issue so good job.

Yet the experience of reading in kodi will always be too bad unless you are using touch devices. In that case probably launching a dedicated application will work way better than any addon. But you never know, yesterday on the apple keynote an app to read comic books on the tv was presented for the atv4 so probably there is room for something like that on the tv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ebook library/scraper0