what is my bottleneck (and how to fix it?)
Hi everybody !

Instead of making my new system I decided to use an old system with parts from a couple of old computers.
I got a working system now (running Vista 32-bit at first) but I can't play a MKV at 1080p, I copied it from the NAS onto the HD of the pc but it's stuttering playback very much.

So I installed UBUNTU next to vista to see if it'd do better but the stock player still has stuttering playback.

Now I heavily assume that it's the CPU since I used a very cheap pc as basis and just added a GPU-card and RAM.
So I would like to know if i'm right about this and what CPU fits this mobo that would be enough to play 1080p SBS 3D MKV's?

here are the specs:
Mainboard model:
RC415

CPU:
Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Celeron 420
Codename Conroe-L
Specification Intel® Celeron® CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.6.1
Extended CPUID 6.16
Core Stepping A1
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1595.9 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 8.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 1600 MHz

RAM:
2x 1GB DDR2 PC2-4300 (266 Mhz)

GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230
1536 MB
Core Clock 500 Mhz

If anymore information is needed just ask, i did a Z-cpu report on the pc.

And thanks a bunch already!
Sounds like you haven't enabled hardware acceleration.

Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Enable Hardware Acceleration
Yeah I was thinking the same at first so i went into Nvidia settings and enabled hardware acceleration in 3d settings to always on but I will look for the same setting in ubuntu, as I just installed it yesterday before bedtime Smile
And it's the first time using linux for me...

I was also thinking the geforce card would give me enough power for 1080p playback..

It sucks that there's almost no info on my motherboard online, I can't even find any bios update for it
Those are settings within XBMC. Your video card will be plenty enough for 1080p content. Make sure its enabled and try again.
I did add both hardware acceleration within xbmc and I also selected another driver in ubuntu with hardware acceleration but still have problems with stuttering playback though it is less now...
(2012-10-05, 09:12)sectial Wrote: I did add both hardware acceleration within xbmc and I also selected another driver in ubuntu with hardware acceleration but still have problems with stuttering playback though it is less now...

Perhaps it would help if you post a log so that we can see if the hardware acceleration is used by XMBC...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what is my bottleneck (and how to fix it?)0