Win Building New Server Using Old & New Parts
Heys Guys,
I need advice on the best way to build a new server . About 5 yrs ago a friend of mine who is an IT guy help me build a media
server . At the time we build it using raid5 with a HP RKTRAID 1820A card , (6) maxtor 250gb drives & (1) maxtor 80gb for the OS .
However, drive # 2 would always die . I used updated drivers and even exchanged the raid card .So after 2 drives going dead i just
gave up . Now that i have so much media i truly need a server . My buddy has moved since then so i have to be the tech of
my house . I'm going to use my old tower case , 600w PSU, Gigabyte GA990FXAUD3 mobo , AMD Phenom II X4 , graphic card
Gbyte HD6450 ddr3 , GSkill Ripjaws 8GB , (1) 500GB WD Caviar Blue , (4) Maxtor 250GB & (1) 80GB for W7 Ultimate x64 .
Raid is out of the equation ! I was looking at UnRaid , but i am unsure with that . I looked it over , but know . Any advice will be
greatly appreciated .

Thanks Undecided
While I'd always recommend unRaid,....you can do what I did because I was also very skeptical.
Try it out for free.

You can download it, and put unRaid through its paces.
I loaded it up,..killed a drive (removed it) and saw my data was still there,..loaded another drive in,..and watched it rebuild itself.
Another great thing about it is that you can use disparate drives.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building New Server Using Old & New Parts0