Linux XBMCBuntu HTPC
Hello everybody,

As a long time lurker and a first time poster I would like to thank you all for the info I have found already here on the forum.

Since I would really love to have a homemade HTPC. I'd love to have some of your thoughts about my HTPC set-up in spé. Below you can find what I want to do with the HTPC and what components I have in mind.
I have also put my questions in there in orange. I you would be so kind as to put in your two cents?
--
Thanks in advance for your help!
loco

• streaming media (up till 1080p) from excisting NAS (wired and wireless)
  • 1080p video playback (3D is an option (if that is possible, read somewhere that is not possible with XBMCBuntu 'yet'))
  • low power consumption
  • low noise level
  • be future proof

The hardware I have is:
  • MCE remote with receiver (jack not usb) Big Grin

The hardware I plan on buying is:
  • Case: Streacom FC7 Evo (including Streacom extra's: NANO150 PSU, IRRC Remote & Reciever, SC30 USB3.0 Internal Cable)
  • MOBO: Asrock A75M-ITX
  • APU: AMD A6-3500 (opA Six-Pack Style Wink )
  • SSD: Samsung 830 series 64GB
  • MEM: Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX (2x 2GB sticks) (or Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX (2x 4GB sticks) if that's usefull)
  • COOLnes: undecided (since i have Max CPU Cooler Height: 42mm without 3.5″ installed (32mm with 3.5″ installed))
  • Optical drive: Slim slot loading drive in future (too expensive now)
  • Peripherals: Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard and aforementioned remote (or Huh)
Why AMD over Intel, in your opinion?

I'm hovering between the two.
My understanding is that Intel i3 Ivy Bridge CPUs run cooler and have significantly lower power consumption than AMD counterparts. Ergo, less heat in an Intel system as well.
You are right about the temperature of the AMD vs Intel.
But I just chose the AMD A6-pack for it's price vs intels price.
The mobo is also more expensive I think. (did not check for a price here)

If I had to choose for Intel gear This would be my setup:
  • Case: Streacom FC7 Evo (including Streacom extra's: NANO150 PSU, IRRC Remote & Reciever, SC30 USB3.0 Internal Cable)
  • MOBO: Asus P8H77-I
  • APU: Intel Core i3 3220T
  • SSD: Samsung 830 series 64GB
  • MEM: Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX (2x 2GB sticks) (or Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX (2x 4GB sticks) if that's usefull)
  • COOLnes: undecided (since i have Max CPU Cooler Height: 42mm without 3.5″ installed (32mm with 3.5″ installed))
  • Optical drive: Slim slot loading drive in future (too expensive now)
  • Peripherals: Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard and aforementioned remote (or Huh)
[/quote]

It would cost a bit more, but maybe I would'nt need an aftermarket cooler... That can make the difference.

Has anyone else some thoughts on this? I would really appreciate your input.

--
loco
Have you seen this one? That's the new Trinity in a FC5 Evo case,It's an AMD A10,so that will be really ok with the temperature...
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2012/10/amd-c...lence.html
Or why not go for the FC8 EVO then you don't have to worry about your cooler??
You can put an universal slim bluray writer in there too witch is much cheaper.(75$)
http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-evo...s-chassis/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu HTPC0