How do I run videos from NAS drives?
Hello,
Sorry for such a dreadfully noob question, but I've never used XBMC before and only just took delivery of my Pi.

All the hardware is working. I've installed Raspbmc on it, I've installed the Official Remote on my iPad and got it talking to the Raspbmc without a problem. up to that point I was amazed at how easy and professionally the installation routines have been written. Congratulations to the team!

OK, so now I just need to get it to play something :-)

All my videos are stored on a couple of NAS servers on my home network. But I'm wondering how to navigate to them on the Raspbmc user interface. I know the IP addresses and share names, but how do I navigate to them on Raspbmc?

I would imagine that the Raspbmc needs to scan my media libraries and then go out to the net to collect movie info and posters, etc. Is that right?

Cheers,
SPuD

Adding videos to the library (wiki)
Wow - great answer. Thank you, Ned!
Adding videos to the library/Adding media sources (wiki) will get you up and running to at least have files show up in File view, since it can take a while for a Pi to scan things into the library.
Hi Ned,
I got it running pretty easily thanks to that pointer. Actually I'm very impressed with the documentation.

Looks like one of my NAS's is UPnP. I guess the other is SMB, so I need to figure out the syntax of entering the share manually.

I tried entering "\\192.168.0.130\movies" but that didn't seem to work, it couldn't find it.

I'll keep trying :-)

Cheers,
SPuD
try NFS is faster.
see here details on how to setup.
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=500
For SMB you must use smb://[user:password@]server/share/path URIs, but 1080p video lags on my RPi. Synology DS also allows AFP access (Apple F-something Protocol, afp://server/share/path), which seems to be faster.
Thanks raorn,
Didn't have a chance to try this, but many thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,
SPuD
If you own a Synology, there is an issue with NFS and you won't be able to see you videos. (you have to edit a config file on your NAS using SSH, but don't be scared it's really easy to do).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I run videos from NAS drives?0