Fastest harmony?
Hi all, not sure if this the right forum but I can't start a thread in off-topic for some reason. It's regarding hardware anyway and I'm thinking most people here use some model of it, so here goes:

When I hit "Watch TV", it takes probably 7-10 seconds for the "Please Wait" screen to go away, and I have to keep the remote pointed and unobstructed at the devices until they turn on, which usually takes that whole time. I'm just curious if the more expensive (newer) models like 900 and One are faster in this regard? I'll never go back to factory remotes again, but it would be nice if I could just hit "Watch TV", confirm the little lights on the tv and cable box blink (like I do with the factory remotes), and then toss the remote and it all turns on. I imagine it has to do with the 650 first activating the tv for a few seconds, then the cable box for a few seconds, when it would be ideal if it did both simultaneously.
I have the 900, and I can tell you that this problem still exists - but it behaves a little differently. The 900 has an IR repeater. In my setup this repeater hits all of my devices except for the television itself, therefore I only have to point the remote at the TV. Once the TV starts turning on, I can put the remote down and it will continue doing 7-10 seconds of god-knows-what, but it does it via RF so I don't worry about line of sight.
I imagine a Harmony One with an RF extender would behave the same. So, the problem is still there - but adding RF makes it a little more bearable.
Editing latency might fix it.
I'm pretty sure the "lag" is intentional. What it's doing is waiting for the device to turn on before it sets the channel or input. You should be able to edit this delay or you could just tell the remote that there's no input selection that needs to be made...maybe make an additional activity where it doesn't have an input selected (it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the software allows this) when you know that the TV/receiver is already set to the correct input. If you have an HDMI receiver with all your devices connecting through it and only one HDMI going to the TV then definitely remove the input selection on the TV portion. Receivers usually start up faster and allow you to set the input quicker so you'd eliminate a lot of lag.

You're assuming that it sends a signal to one device and waits before sending to another device. This is incorrect as my remote will send power on signals to the TV immediately followed by the receiver then it will wait the predetermined time before setting the inputs on both. If your remote is waiting between power on signals you need to edit the settings to have it turn them all on first before waiting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest harmony?0