[Feature]: XBMC Server?
Hey everyone,
I am not sure if this has been suggested, but my experiences with Eden the last few days has lead me to think about how the whole "XBMC enabled home" thing could be a bit easier. Perhaps this is something that has been thought of or is some part of the feature list for frodo already, or the idea itself is just unmanagable due to versioning and resources, but has there been any consideration of a very lightweight, simple, even cli-driven or very basic gui for a XBMC server?
What i would like is if there were global settings that could be stored on a windows server (like thumbnail art or advancedsettings.xml settings) that could be stored on a central server like your media server (I know some of this stuff can be handled just by installing XBMC on the server in question, but my server is a bit old and over burdened as it is, and the more lightweight something can get, the better)
But when xbmc itself boots up, perhaps it could communicate with a central server for any global changes that someone would want for all of their xbmc boxes, or even individual configs dependant on computer name?
I guess i just described a XBMC windows-like-domain scenario. I don't really want anything quite so elaborate as a xbmc specific domain, but i wonder if anything like that has been considered or investigated.
The reason all this came into perspective for me was me trying to get 3 different xbmc boxes that are on 3 different TVs, all working and sync'ing correctly. The thumbnail art was the last hurdle and i solved that rather inelegantly (the path substitution didn't work and i couldn't get symbolic links working due to running xbmcbuntu and trying to connect to windows shares) by just copying the main thumbnails folder from my windows XBMC box to my media server, then using the file management in xbmcbuntu to copy the folder to itself.
I would be intrigued to hear of any thoughts you had.
you might start here, jump to the end which is where the action is.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132919
Great info thanks. Smile
Although it looks like a lot of that is way over my head... I'm going to need to read it all... slowly... with a translator. I haven't had a chance to read much of it but it looks like those builds are all running in linux... I don't have a linux server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature]: XBMC Server?0