Raspberry PI my best option for a small box?
(2014-01-31, 20:46)awp0 Wrote: $62 shipped from Amazon including everything you just described. Done and done.
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Ultimate...+pi+buncle

No remote,ir receiver and its a 4gig sd card, 4 gigs could fill up with fan art pretty fast but even then add another 20 for remote and or ir receiver and its 82$. Plus the case looks pretty sketchy.
(2014-01-31, 19:10)calev Wrote: It can even play most 10bit 720p encodes i have tested(the pi will never be able to do this).

Sigh - and you'd be wrong about the Pi. Again.

I just downloaded the Hi10 Anime samples from this page and my 1GHz Raspberry Pi with latest Gotham git build plays most of the 720p samples without any problems - there is some artifacting visible on the "[720p][08_REF_L4.1]Shinsekai Yori BD Ending" and "[720p][16_REF_L5.1]Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse BD Opening EP2" samples, which is relatively minor, but the remaining 4 samples have no such image quality problems. All samples played smoothly with no stuttering (streamed over wired SMB).

The Pi actually manages to make a pretty good stab at playing the 1080p samples, although the image quality rapidly deteriorates after the first 5-10 seconds. Then again, even my Atom/ION2 based Revo3700 struggles to play this 1080p stuff (lots of stuttering) so it's hardly surprising the Pi chokes on anything more than Hi10 720p.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-31, 21:12)calev Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 20:46)awp0 Wrote: $62 shipped from Amazon including everything you just described. Done and done.
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Ultimate...+pi+buncle

No remote,ir receiver and its a 4gig sd card, 4 gigs could fill up with fan art pretty fast but even then add another 20 for remote and or ir receiver and its 82$. Plus the case looks pretty sketchy.

CEC is better than an awkward gaming controller for majority of XBMC users.
4 gigs is fine for majority of XBMC users.
The case if fine considering most people would just velcro the raspi to the back of a TV, out of sight.

A complete raspi system is $62. If you want a gold-plated raspi case or a diamond-encrusted Ouya, then go for it. But to say that you need $85 to build a raspi XBMC system is factually incorrect and misleading. To say that $85 is a "cheap shopping cart" (your words) for a raspi XBMC build makes me think that you got ripped off. I'm sorry for that.
The majority of xbmc users don't have cec (because the majority of TV's don't have cec still). How much for the velcro?

Its not misleading. For reasonable quality parts 85 dollars is a good deal. For a flimsy case, power-supply that might flake on overclock and a slow 4 gig sd card without a remote you can get a pi for 20 less than what i said.

Ouya should also get cec soon. Not that I could use it because like most, my tv doesn't support it.
The debate about re-encoding mpeg2 to h264 ignores the fact that tv in many parts of the world is transmitted in mpeg2, so if you want to watch TV you'll need to be able to play mpeg2. I think that pretty well eliminates the ouya.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yikes. I didn't realize the Ouya has no MPEG2 hardware decoding support. That pretty much means no PVR support in the US. Sucks.
(2014-01-31, 22:04)awp0 Wrote: A complete raspi system is $62. If you want a gold-plated raspi case or a diamond-encrusted Ouya, then go for it. But to say that you need $85 to build a raspi XBMC system is factually incorrect and misleading. To say that $85 is a "cheap shopping cart" (your words) for a raspi XBMC build makes me think that you got ripped off. I'm sorry for that.

This is so funny .. because on the other thread, you're going on about your case which cost $40. And the main subject of that thread is a different case that will cost nearer $80.

This makes me think that you got ripped off. I'm sorry for that.
(2014-02-02, 16:47)joelbaby Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 22:04)awp0 Wrote: A complete raspi system is $62. If you want a gold-plated raspi case or a diamond-encrusted Ouya, then go for it. But to say that you need $85 to build a raspi XBMC system is factually incorrect and misleading. To say that $85 is a "cheap shopping cart" (your words) for a raspi XBMC build makes me think that you got ripped off. I'm sorry for that.

This is so funny .. because on the other thread, you're going on about your case which cost $40. And the main subject of that thread is a different case that will cost nearer $80.

This makes me think that you got ripped off. I'm sorry for that.

I suspect you know this, but the obvious difference is that I chose to spend $40 on that case because I like it and I can afford it. Not because it's required for an acceptable XBMC build. You understand that, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry PI my best option for a small box?0