Which Operating System Do You Recommend 32 Bit or 64 Bit?
First off I would like to thank everyone here, because of this place and everyones help, took the plunge and built my first computer to be used soley for HTPC purposes. I could never have done this without this forum so thanks!

Now on to my question, I am running an AMD A8 the 3850, with 4gb of DDR3 1600 RAM on a 32 Bit system. I know 32 Bit has a limitation of 4gb with somewhere around 3 - 3.5 of usable RAM. I did change the BIOS from auto to 512 of RAM, which most seem to think is the magical number. So looking at windows it seems to be using 2.99gb of the available RAM. Will switching to a 64 Bit system take advantage of more of the RAM? And if I do that, does Windows use more resources emulating a 32 Bit system for the non 64 Bit programs? Since I am only using 4gb I just don't know which way to go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!
A x64 system runs x86 at 70-80% of original power.
Certainly you could google "differences between 32 and 64 bit windows",.....but here's my recommendation.

If you already have 32-bit windows running and paid for,...and everything runs fine as is,.......and your budget doesn't
justify the extra cost of buying a license for 64-bit Windows,...then don't bother.

That's a lot of qualifiers,..but I'm just looking to save you money.
Thank you for the replies, I did quite a bit of research before choosing which system to go with, just when I thought definitely 64-bit I read other opinions making me think 32-bit was the way to go. Then back to 64 and so on. I already had the 32-bit version so that seemed the right choice, I was just wondering if anyone on here preferred one or the other. This system I just built was my trial at building a HTPC for my living room. I still want to build one for the media room I'm working on, and another for my bedroom. So for those builds I was curious.

Also, on a side note, does anyone know ifis mobo can utilize DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157260

This is the mobo in my current system.

Thanks again!
i just went with x64 since everything is 64 these days..
no driver issues at all, %110 ftw!!
(2012-10-05, 19:24)eskro Wrote: i just went with x64 since everything is 64 these days..
no driver issues at all, %110 ftw!!

Totally agree! +110 Big Grin
Thanks eskro! I owe you big time since your guides got me to this point! My first time building any computer and it all worked flawlessly!

I will definitely make any future systems 64.
x64...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Operating System Do You Recommend 32 Bit or 64 Bit?0