XBMC on server with bad grafic card possible?
Hello there,

a friend told me of XBMC and I´m really interested in that project.
I want to realize a server that holds all my media and makes it accessible to the network.
Therefore I want to use a
HP ProLiant DL380 G3
2x 2,8GHz CPU
2,5GB RAM
but it has bad, standard, grafik card.

I´m always receiving the error: CApplication::Create() failed - check log file and that it is writeable
But there is no logfile, or I couldn´t find it.

What I did is, installed DirectX 9, successfully and the NVIDIA driver 52.16 but in the device manager it still uses the standard VGA drivers.

Is there any solution or workaround to get XBMC run on that server?

Any help would be appreciated!

Greetz
chris
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Why do you want to run XBMC on the server rather than on client(s)? The reason for using a server is so you have a single, central location where all your files are stored and they can be shared with multiple clients at your location. It doesn't need more than a basic graphics card and it doesn't need to run an end-user app such as XBMC. Indeed, servers are often hidden away from public view in a storeroom or garage. Instead, install XBMC on other systems that will access the server for media content.
As artrafael said, there's no need to install XBMC on the server. Install XBMC on the computers that you want to watch your media on and then add the network shares from your server to the media library.
Hi there,

many thanks for your replies.
The idea behind was, not to have to install xbmc on all clients I want to use. The major idea was, to have one single installation and make it accessible, for example as Server 2008 Remote App, or use remotely from the Iphone and different clients.
The benefit I see would be, to have one single installation and configuration for all the clients.

Are there any suggestions to use XBMC in a way like that?

Is it possible with XBMC to manage the media itself, like moving files into directories and renaming and tagging from an internet source?
You can't run multiple instances of XBMC on a single system. Each client system needs its own XBMC installation, but they can share the same media from your server. You can use something like MySQL to synchronize the library for all your XBMC clients. In addition to standard desktop/laptop computers (Linux, MacOS, Windows), XBMC also runs on platforms such as iPad, iPhone, ATV1/2, and soon, on Android devices such as tablets, smartphones and settop boxes.

Additional information and examples can be found in the wiki (wiki) and in the Tips, tricks and step by step guides forum.
Thanks for the help and that information. For now I got it running on my first client and I´m really impressed!
It´s pretty cool looking and working very fine so far!

I think I will have a look on the SQL DB later on.

Thanks, and this post could be closed.

Greetz
chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on server with bad grafic card possible?0