please help with finalizing my build :)
Hey guys,

im planning to build a htpc (my first!)

these are its intended use:
1) Run XBMC (play 1080p movies smoothly, blu ray movies, 5.1/7.1 music/movies)
2) surfing internet (youtube, email)
3) downloading files

I plan to build the HTPC with all my hdds together in the pc, so all my files and downloads are kept in this htpc.

Please give me your thoughts on my build (eg. where to save on, where to improve on)
Budget is not a real concern, but i dont want to spend extra money if i dont need to!
Also, hope to make the pc as quiet as possible (going to have a few hdds inside the case will not make it total silent, but as quiet as possible will be great)

1) Case :
Silverstone LC10-E / GD08 (either one is fine, love how they support up to 7/8 3.5" hdds,and seems good for cooling)

2) CPU:
i5 3570k+ asus p8h77 -m ( im sure the i5 3570k is overkill, but the hd4000 would be more than enough to run the movies smooth, and it will be cooler/consume less power than if i got a lower end cpu + discrete gfx card, am i right?)

3)Ram:
any 1600 mhz 2x4 gb ram will do,probably kingston/corsair

4)ssd:
samsung 830 series 64gb (just for windows 7 boot, and xbmc)

5) hdd:
wd green, 3tb x 2 in raid 1

6)PSU
Have not decided yet.. dont know how much power i need

7) fans?

Would apprecite if you guys could look through my build, especially [3570k vs lower end cpu + gfx card]. More important to me is that it stays cooler, quieter and consume less power..

By the way, i am living in Asia so some of the cpu (i3 3225), i cant get in my country.

Cheers
2. Excellent CPU

6. PSU- SeaSonic M12II (since it is a big case, this PSU will give you more room to grow)

7. FANS- here some nice silent fans: SilenX EFX-09-12 92mm Case Fan and SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
hi, thanks for the reply!

do you think the CPU is overkill though, like if i went a cheaper cpu + entry level discrete graphics it would give same performance, but cheaper?

what kind of ram should i choose, ddr3 1600mhz? i hope for system to be as cool n quiet as possible too..
If you want a good gpu, use AMD Llano, I do and works great. Cpu is more than acceptable. Is this gonna run on win, ubuntu, xbmcbuntu or openelec... Use a non-fan seasonic and some casefans. Check the onboard audio on the mobo.
this is going to run on windows 7, but using xbmc software only

does anyone have any idea of between i5 3570k vs a8 3850/a8 3870k which will be more suitable for it?

or are both equally suitable? the price difference between i5 and a8 in my country is about 50$.. worth the extra $$?

would it be crazy to run closed loop water cooling (h60/h80/100) or custom cooling so that the system will be more quiet?
has anyone done that here??
(2012-10-07, 19:25)wund3rk1nd Wrote: hi, thanks for the reply!

do you think the CPU is overkill though, like if i went a cheaper cpu + entry level discrete graphics it would give same performance, but cheaper?
You can step down to "Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000" for nearly half the price, and you still can have the latest Intel HD4000 iGPU......you'll a very nice low power and powerful HTPC....

(2012-10-07, 19:25)wund3rk1nd Wrote: what kind of ram should i choose, ddr3 1600mhz? i hope for system to be as cool n quiet as possible too..
This "Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB)" work......

(2012-10-07, 20:26)wund3rk1nd Wrote: this is going to run on windows 7, but using xbmc software only

does anyone have any idea of between i5 3570k vs a8 3850/a8 3870k which will be more suitable for it?

or are both equally suitable? the price difference between i5 and a8 in my country is about 50$.. worth the extra $$?

would it be crazy to run closed loop water cooling (h60/h80/100) or custom cooling so that the system will be more quiet?
has anyone done that here??
The Liano should be fine for HTPC, but you are getting an older FM1 socket and run hotter/noisier than Intel......if you want to pursue a low power AMD, I'm suggesting this "AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)" latest technology instead....

hmm, in my country the i5 is only 30-40$ different from the i3-3225.. i guess i'll spend the extra and get the i5!

if lets say i am leaving the computer on almost 24/7 for downloads.. is it a good idea for this htpc to do that?

or should i get a cheap computer just for downloading movies?

also, i cant find most power supplies recommended.. what do you guys think about this as psu ? http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm

and for fans, how is noctua for htpc use? they are quite highly rated for normal desktops.. do you think its good for htpc too?
(i cant find silenx in singapore)

thanks for all the help so far!

Idle power consumption for the i5-3570K vs i3-3225 should be around the same. Downloading will not use very much CPU. It's only at load the i5 would consume more power but then it'll finish the task faster so over time use less power. You should be fine.

Seasonic and Noctua are very good.
(2012-10-07, 21:36)wund3rk1nd Wrote: hmm, in my country the i5 is only 30-40$ different from the i3-3225.. i guess i'll spend the extra and get the i5!

if lets say i am leaving the computer on almost 24/7 for downloads.. is it a good idea for this htpc to do that?

or should i get a cheap computer just for downloading movies?

also, i cant find most power supplies recommended.. what do you guys think about this as psu ? http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm

and for fans, how is noctua for htpc use? they are quite highly rated for normal desktops.. do you think its good for htpc too?
(i cant find silenx in singapore)

thanks for all the help so far!
I rarely turn off my i5, and I haven't encounter any issue.....the SeaSonic in your link and Noctua fan should be great for HTPC....

for motherboard, which would you choose ? (all same price)

1) ASROCK H77m-itx http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M-ITX/

2) ASUS P8H77-M http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S...55/P8H77M/

for 3$ more,

3) ASUS P8H77-M PRO http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S...8H77M_PRO/

also, if i want the htpc to "start up/wake up" using my smartphone, is it possible?
it would be best to start up the htpc using my smartphone, as i am using it to control XBMC, AVR, lights and curtains
If you're going with a micro-ATX cases, I'd go with one of the micro-ATX motherboard and not the mini-ITX one unless there's some feature the mini-ITX board has you can't get in a micro-ATX.
was about to pull the trigger today.. but the guy at the it store asked me to think over buying the A10-5800k instead.. he says it'll run just as fine as the i3 3225/i5 3570k for XBMC, and since im only using XBMC it'll save me money and be more than enough.

thoughts??

all i want is to watch my movies/tv shows in full hd without stutter (dts, ac3 etc etc)

if both will perform similar in XBMC, i'll get the A10 instead since its alot cheaper

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
please help with finalizing my build :)0