Network Connection Disruption while playing
Hello,

I've begun messing around XBMC recently and have two boxes running it (Windows and OPENELEC), both exhibiting the same problems:

Randomly, but usually within 20-40 minutes of playing a file the playback stops. When trying to resume play I get a "media offline" message. Typically if I wait a few minutes or restart XBMC I can playback again, but it will randomly drop off again at some point.

Here is a sample of my log where it seems it is trying to connect:

15:40:17 T:2416 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
15:40:17 T:2416 DEBUG: Trying to connect to \\192.168.1.4\TV with username(htpc) and password(XXXX)
15:40:17 T:2416 ERROR: File::Open - unknown exception when opening smb://192.168.1.4/TV/TV/How_I_Met_Your_Mother/Season.1/How I Met Your Mother - 1x06 - Slutty Pumpkin.avi
15:40:17 T:2416 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [smb://192.168.1.4/TV/TV/How_I_Met_Your_Mother/Season.1/How I Met Your Mother - 1x06 - Slutty Pumpkin.avi]

Im wondering if it someonething in my network that is causing this. I have the two XBMC PC's connecting to a Windows 7 box with the files on two seperate external USB HDD's. I have the two folders shared (SMB) out with full-control permissions for my HTPC user. I have disabled the firewall on the Windows 7 'media-host' box.

Is there something that I could be missing in my router? Mind you one XBMC box (Windows XP) is hardwired with a MAC address reservation and the other is connected wirelessly, but they are both experienceing the same issue.

Would it be possible to have better success with a local FTP setup?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Did you check the power management settings on your Win7 server box to see if, after a set period of time, it spins down the USB hard drives, suspends the SMB connection and/or suspends the system itself?
Thanks for the response!

I actually went ahead and set up a quick FTP server (FileZilla) and have been 'stress testing' my network streaming. As of now I have been good for a little over an hour, and it seems to be going very well.

I did alter some of the power settings you mentioned (specifically the USB devices which were enabled to be shut off if inactive and took my NIC off of the power management plan), but I'm going to roll with the FTP setup for a while to see how that works.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Connection Disruption while playing0