My first HTPC - Questions
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, but I've been following the forum for some time now. Hope to contribute to the development of the community in the long term.

Right now, the reason I registered and I'm writing this post is because I'll buy my first HTPC the next few days, but I still have some questions. All of them have probably been answered before, but with so much information around sometimes it gets hard to clarify more specific questions.. So here I go.

First of, one thing I'm sure: I will use XBMC, and I would prefer to use a Linux version such as XBMCbuntu. So my questions are:

- I was thinking about buying the GPU AMD Radeon HD6450. However, I read some places that this card have problems with Linux. Is that true? Is it better to get a Nvidea?

- The case I'm thinking on getting is the Nox Live 2, which comes with a remote control and a LCD. Once again, my question is about Linux... will both (remote control and LCD) work?

- I would like to get a blu-ray player, but I'm not sure if XBMC plays blu-rays. Does it? Is it the same for Linux or Windows?

- I would also like to get a TV Card for recording television. I have the same questions as above: is it possible with XBMC (with or without add-ons)? Is it the same for Linux or Windows?

- I'm thinking about the following bundle: Motherboard GigaByte Sk1155 (GA-H61M-D2H-USB3) + Intel Core i3-3220 3.3Ghz 3MB Sk1155. Sound good?

- Any silent PSU you would recommend?

Sorry if some are noob questions... and thanks in advance for your help Smile

Cheers!
I would try the integrated GPU in the i3-3220. Intel has good Linux support. If it's not so great for what you are doing then get a dedicated GPU card.

If you can say where you'd like to shop (what sites) we can help you pick the parts/bundle and power supply.
(2012-10-08, 03:36)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I would try the integrated GPU in the i3-3220. Intel has good Linux support. If it's not so great for what you are doing then get a dedicated GPU card.

If you can say where you'd like to shop (what sites) we can help you pick the parts/bundle and power supply.

Thanks for your help!

Does the integrated GPU in i3 send through TrueHD/DTS sound for the receiver to decode? Also I thought the graphics work depended on the motherboard. Does any board with hdmi output (like the one I mentioned) works?

I'm from Portugal and I normally shop in local shops. I can give the websites, but I don't know how will you get with portuguese Wink But you can mention any that I'm sure I'll find it around.

About the other questions, does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!! Smile
(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - I was thinking about buying the GPU AMD Radeon HD6450. However, I read some places that this card have problems with Linux. Is that true? Is it better to get a Nvidea?
You won't need it.

(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - The case I'm thinking on getting is the Nox Live 2, which comes with a remote control and a LCD. Once again, my question is about Linux... will both (remote control and LCD) work?
Probably not.

(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - I would like to get a blu-ray player, but I'm not sure if XBMC plays blu-rays. Does it? Is it the same for Linux or Windows?
You need an external player but yes it plays blu-rays

(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - I would also like to get a TV Card for recording television. I have the same questions as above: is it possible with XBMC (with or without add-ons)? Is it the same for Linux or Windows?
You will probably be able to get it running on linux but would be smoother on windows.

(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - I'm thinking about the following bundle: Motherboard GigaByte Sk1155 (GA-H61M-D2H-USB3) + Intel Core i3-3220 3.3Ghz 3MB Sk1155. Sound good?
Sounds great, but you might want to change the H61 for a B75/H77/Z77

(2012-10-08, 00:50)mmascosta Wrote: - Any silent PSU you would recommend?
Seasonic

Thank you!! Smile

I'm starting to wonder if I should stick to Windows right now.. The LCD is the main reason I'm buying the case and the Remote Control is needed. Then TV will work better on windows as well..

The main reason I didn't want Windows was because I only want tu use XBMC.. nothing else. So I'll have a heavy system for nothing.. Ohh well..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC - Questions0