Ivy Bridge HTPC Build (first-timer!)
So, I've had a nice file server for a while, 36TB worth of media, to be precise. I've used a Pivos Aios and a Patriot Box Office and while the file list is an extremely convenient way of playing my media, I'm looking for something more suitable for my behemoth file server, and so I decided to go with XBMCbuntu. I am only streaming media, no gaming or anything special. This is a dedicated media box.

This is all theoretical and I haven't pulled the trigger. Looking for last minute suggestions on my build. I'd like to not spend anymore than what is already presented, but I'm open to suggestions, of course.

Case & PSU:
Antec ISK300-150
Read good things about it. I like the aesthetics and I have had great support from Antec in the past; I trust their products. The price point is also quite appealing, $69 CDN before taxes. Not too bad for a case and a 150W PSU.

Motherboard:
ASUS P8H77-I mITX
Not many options when it comes to 1155 socket, HDMI out, motherboards, so this is the one that I picked.. hopefully it will suffice for what I'm trying to accomplish.

CPU:
Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHZ
Went with this as a lot of people recommended getting the Intel 4000 graphics. Nice power consumption (55W), price of $139 CDN before taxes, runs cool, and is powerful. Looking for alternative opinions here, but I feel strongly about my choice and I would need to be persuaded quite convincingly to sway from it.

RAM:
Kingston 4GB (2x2) HyperX Blu 1333MHZ DDR3
Pretty simple choice here. I don't think I need anything more on a Linux build (do I?). Solid, fast RAM, but I'm definitely open to suggestions here.

SSD:
Crucial M4 C400 64GB
I will be storing the database LOCALLY. I hope 64GB is enough, but tell me if I'm wrong. Having no experience with XBMC, I'm unsure of how big databases can get, I'd really like to ensure that I don't even come close to reaching the limit of this drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As it stands, I don't have a receiver, so I'll be plugging this into (via HDMI) directly into my Panasonic U50; however, I plan on getting a mid-tier receiver with a 2.1 system in the near future, so warn me if there's something I should know moving forward.

Thanks for any input, all! Big Grin

EDIT: Total, before taxes, is $400.
Any input? :S
REVISED:
I'm opting to go with this RAM, instead of the one in the OP. Only an $8 difference, and double the RAM. Might as well, right?

RAM:
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuff Hmp HyperX CL9
8GB RAM for $33... is this compatible with XBMCbuntu and the rest of my build? This is low profile RAM, just like the one in the OP. The only thing I worry about is that this RAM runs at 1.65v, will this be a problem at all?
All your choices look fine.... you will have a nice HTPC... love the case. Smile

Yes, these days with RAM prices you might as well go with 8GB. Seems the same for 64GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD -- sometimes only $20 more for double the space.
(2012-10-09, 17:55)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yes, these days with RAM prices you might as well go with 8GB. Seems the same for 64GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD -- sometimes only $20 more for double the space.

+1 on both counts

Nothing against Kingston, but there's always very solid deals on Crucial RAM as well. IMHO the best going.
(2012-10-09, 18:08)onizuka Wrote:
(2012-10-09, 17:55)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yes, these days with RAM prices you might as well go with 8GB. Seems the same for 64GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD -- sometimes only $20 more for double the space.

+1 on both counts

Nothing against Kingston, but there's always very solid deals on Crucial RAM as well. IMHO the best going.

I love crucial RAM.... Wink
I live in Canada, so your deals probably aren't the same as mine! That goes for the $20 to upgrade to 128GB SSD as well.
(2012-10-09, 22:07)roach9 Wrote: I live in Canada, so your deals probably aren't the same as mine! That goes for the $20 to upgrade to 128GB SSD as well.
I feel sorry for you there. Most of everything there cost more than U.S, and I sent a lot of stuffs to my relatives in Canada. With the shipping and custom charges, it's still cheaper than buying it in Canada. I was there for two weeks last year……

Stuffs in your list should be great for HTPC......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-10-08, 22:51)roach9 Wrote: So, I've had a nice file server for a while, 36TB worth of media, to be precise. I've used a Pivos Aios and a Patriot Box Office and while the file list is an extremely convenient way of playing my media, I'm looking for something more suitable for my behemoth file server, and so I decided to go with XBMCbuntu. I am only streaming media, no gaming or anything special. This is a dedicated media box.
It wont make much of a change but why not try OpenElec instead of XBMCbuntu. You will get a faster boot time and it is designed to be a dedicated media box
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
I never considered that, but I will look into it. Thanks.

In terms of upgradability, is there a difference between OpenElec & XBMCbuntu?

EDIT: And add-ons... how are they in OpenElec? is it FULL functionality within XBMC?
Ok. I'm going with OpenElec, definitely seems more suitable for me.

Thanks a lot for that suggestion! Big Grin
(2012-10-09, 21:45)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-10-09, 18:08)onizuka Wrote:

+1 on both counts

I love crucial RAM.... Wink

I like Kingston, Crucial and G-Skill.

Lately I've been almost 100% Kingston for desktop and Crucial for laptop memory with G-Skill Ripjaws for higher-end office/gaming rigs.
I had G-Skill Ram go bad on me... so for me it's down on the list.... maybe they have gotten better and I was unlucky. I had two different models go bad.
Knock on wood I've never had a bad stick of RAM. Motherboards and power supplies on the other hand ...
Just stay away from cheap Kingston and Samsung ram, acer uses those and they are the most common source of system failures. I personally prefer critical, OCZ and Corsair Smile
The rest of the system looks fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ivy Bridge HTPC Build (first-timer!)1