Last component check before ordering... quick input!
So, I've had a nice file server for a while, 36TB worth of media, to be precise. I've used a Pivos Aios and a Patriot Box Office and while the file list is an extremely convenient way of playing my media, I'm looking for something more suitable for my behemoth file server, and so I decided to go with XBMCbuntu. I am only streaming media, no gaming or anything special. This is a dedicated media box.

This is all theoretical and I haven't pulled the trigger. Looking for last minute suggestions on my build. I'd like to not spend anymore than what is already presented, but I'm open to suggestions, of course.

Case & PSU:
Antec ISK300-150
Read good things about it. I like the aesthetics and I have had great support from Antec in the past; I trust their products. The price point is also quite appealing, $69 CDN before taxes. Not too bad for a case and a 150W PSU.

Motherboard:
ASUS P8H77-I mITX
Not many options when it comes to 1155 socket, HDMI out, motherboards, so this is the one that I picked.. hopefully it will suffice for what I'm trying to accomplish.

CPU:
Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHZ
Went with this as a lot of people recommended getting the Intel 4000 graphics. Nice power consumption (55W), price of $139 CDN before taxes, runs cool, and is powerful. Looking for alternative opinions here, but I feel strongly about my choice and I would need to be persuaded quite convincingly to sway from it.

RAM:
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuff Hmp HyperX CL9
Pretty simple choice here. I don't think I need anything more on a Linux build (do I?). Solid, fast RAM, but I'm definitely open to suggestions here.

SSD:
Crucial M4 C400 64GB
I will be storing the database LOCALLY. I hope 64GB is enough, but tell me if I'm wrong. Having no experience with XBMC, I'm unsure of how big databases can get, I'd really like to ensure that I don't even come close to reaching the limit of this drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As it stands, I don't have a receiver, so I'll be plugging this into (via HDMI) directly into my Panasonic U50; however, I plan on getting a mid-tier receiver with a 2.1 system in the near future, so warn me if there's something I should know moving forward.

Thanks for any input, all! Big Grin

EDIT: Total, before taxes, is $400.
Are you buying everything at NCIX, where you've linked?

I see the the Crucial m4 64GB for CDN$69.99 @ Amazon.ca

And, finally, are you sure you don't want this mini-ITX case? Wink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112391
Yes, NCIX and I've price matched everything.

if that case you suggested comes with a steam PSU, I'll definitely grab it.
I think the only thing left to do then is take some pictures of your new HTPC and post them here! Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Last component check before ordering... quick input!0