Please help decide on XBMC Box
I've never been a fan of barebones PCs. Reading the reviews it looks like they probably cut a few corners on the PSU - which most barebones do. So if you are ok with a noisy PSU fan and posibly having to replace the PSU due to failure in the near future then I'd say go for it.

As far as the OS goes I think you should try openelec first since they have a build specifically for the E350. If that does not cut it then your next best option would be xbuntu (since it's free). Your last resort would likely be win 7 but that will cost you ~$80.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Done!

Thanks a lot, I'll update on the status when I receive it.....quick question, do I "need" HDD if I use USB Openelec?
(2012-10-10, 19:41)dmeinder Wrote: Thanks a lot, I'll update on the status when I receive it.....quick question, do I "need" HDD if I use USB Openelec?
No. But you'd need some device to stream content to your HTPC if you don't have it stored on a local HDD.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
From research, I think I'll be going with XBMCbuntu for the time being, but if I can't find a good Kids only Netflix alternative, I'll have to install windows.

Thanks again

(anyone want to buy a WDTV Live SMP and a couple HD cable boxes??......didn't think so)
So did you ended up buying the E350?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856119059

Enjoy...
I have a Asus A7U http://alatest.nl/reviews/laptop-compute...0/#details with a Logitech Harmony 555 remote control running windows 7 x64 wmc (no tv tuner)
The question is, will it be possible to run the xbmc ubuntu package on this notebook.
Now all is working well wit WMC, hd and dts output playing allmost anything.
(2012-10-11, 09:23)dappertje Wrote: I have a Asus A7U http://www.myce.com/notebooks-laptops/de...799/specs/ with a Logitech Harmony 555 remote control running windows 7 x64 wmc (no tv tuner)
The question is, will it be possible to run the xbmc ubuntu package on this notebook.
Now all is working well wit WMC, hd and dts output playing allmost anything.

(2012-10-11, 08:27)Beer40oz Wrote: So did you ended up buying the E350?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856119059

Enjoy...

Yep....got purolator tracking now just waiting....cheers!
I just wanted to update on this machine. As it's now in steady operation.

I sacrificed an external 1TB HDD to use as the main drive, and bought a 4GB stick of RAM for $17.99 CAD.

So total cost, with shipping was $159.72....(just a hair over the $150 I was shooting for...damn shipping cost..haha).

Anyway, I installed Win7 x64 copy I got from work (mainly for Netflix support, but am thinking of pitching that, cause Netflix will be cancelled next month).

Driver install was a bit of an issue, but once windows update found the latest and greatest, it's all good now. Note that I did the entire setup with a partially working keyboard....(no backspace, and some keys not working) this was due to my cheapness to not spend an extra $15 on a mouse...haha. But once I installed Unified remote server, I was then laughing using my android phone to set up the rest.

Long story short.....XBMC w/ HD audio, + Media Center Master + uTorrent + XBMC Launcher (without shell switching) = Kick ass, super cheap HTPC.

Everything is working great, Streams and plays HD wonderfully, bitstreams to AR, Pics and fanart etc updates fast......I couldn't be happier...(well I could if Canada would remove geotagging, because even using DNS some plugs don't work, but that's not machines fault)

So I'd recommend this to anyone as an inexpensive solution....this way you can save money for storage....that's my next step, but for now...SWEET!!

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help decide on XBMC Box0