Live TV (and possibly PVR soon?)
So, with my TV,HTPC, etc. I have a DirecTV HR34 that allows me to record 5 programs at once. It would certainly be cool to be able to watch TV through XBMC although I am still not sure why. However, how do you guys get the signal to your tuner card? Would I have to get DTV to run another line from the dish or is there a splitter I can buy to have 1 line go to the HR34 and 1 line to the PC?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
No thoughts? I never understood how people used tuner cards when they already have the cable running to their set top box. To me, this is only done for the cool factor since my DirecTV already records HD programs on 5 different channels. I'm just wondering if I need a tech to run another wire from the dish to a tuner card on my HTPC?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
The point is to totally replace the existing set top box which is likely running a fairly ugly interface with XBMC, which is nicer, more customizable, and more powerful. As far as using XBMC or any tuner with DirecTV, you may be out of luck. I'm not especially familiar with how DirecTV works, but I believe all the channels are encrypted and all the tuner cards that I'm aware of are not capable of decrypting satellite-encrypted video.

In the United States, only Over The Air video, along with ClearQAM cable, is available to most tuners, excluding things like the HDHomerun, which comes with something called CableCard. The feature is primarily requested by individuals who have come to be known as "cordcutters" who rely primarily on OTA and internet video for their entertainment purposes.

Edit: I should probably note that satellite services and encryption probably differ by region, so if you come from the EU, my advice isn't very relevant. So saying where you are from would probably be of great benefit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV (and possibly PVR soon?)0