XBMC not using data I already scraped. Downloading all new info?
I have finally got XBMC up and running on my AppleTV. But prior to this i cultivated thousands of movies onto my NAS and painstankenly organaized them as follows:

>Movies
>---Movie Name - Date
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.mkv
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION-fanart.jpg
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.tbn
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.nfo

>---Movie Name - Date
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.mkv
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION-fanart.jpg
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.tbn
>-----Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.nfo

ETC

I am sharing everything via SMB from my nas. As you can see all the movies and associated imdb info files, art etc are all included in the "Movie Name - Date" folder.
I have also used this setting in the xbmc client on the appletv2 so that it would know to look inside.

However, as soon as I added the share and logged in (using a ro account) it started downloading the metadata and images for all the movies.

The whole reason i organized everything already and downloaded all the files, was so that xbmc would just use the files that are on my Nas. Sometimes XBMC picks the wrong movie, so that is another reason I prefetched all the data for it. Also some movies default poster I don't like so i found alternates that i do like.

So why would XBMC not be using the info that i already scraped for it? Why is it redownloading all the info to populatye it's datbase with? is there a way to force it to use my info for the movies and my poster, fanatrt etc?

Here is the debug log:
http://pastebin.com/RArMPyc5

Thanks.

Awesome product by the way!

XBMC prioritizes local nfo/artwork over fetching it on the internet so sounds like something isn't set correctly. What are the settings you configured in the scraper for that source?
Dang, you are quick.

Well technically it isn't local since the data is on the NAS and xbmc is on the client. Would it still prioritize the NAS data over internet data? The data is local to the file.

Originally I used couchpotato to process. i would gather all my files from over the years and dump them in a folder. Then I used couchpotato to rename the files as descibed in op (Movie Name_IMDBNUMBER_RESOLUTION.extension). Then I would use ViMediaManager on OSX to put all files in forders. Then ViMediaManager would scrape the data, grab images and rename folders (Movie Name - Year).

I am wondering if having the year in the folder name is messing it up.

Screen Grab attached of ViMediaManager settings:

*edited to add screen grab.

Thanks
The way you have them, the .nfo files should be used by default without issue. Try refreshing a single movie that has been scanned (from the movie info screen). Does it prompt you about local nfo?

Turn on debug logging and grab a Debug Log of that process.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I will check when i get home. I stopped it after about 10 since i didn't want to waste a ton of bandwidth that I didn't need to.

I will post back with the results.
@weedfarmer

Just looking at your file naming conventions and:

a. Having a date in the folder name should NOT be an issue. I have the same thing and in some cases not in the file names and it works fine.

b. I'm not sure about your naming convention for the fanart files. I THINK XBMC will only scrape "fanart.jpg". I don't think it's going to scrape fanart files that are named like that with the movie name etc. as the file name and a jpg extension.

As far as I can recall, it will ONLY scrape variants of fanart.jpg (upper and lowercase variants) and then for extrafanart it would be fanart##.jpg where ## = sequential numbers starting from 1 and those files will need to be in a sub folder called ExtraFanart for each movie.

I think that applies to all artwork files with XBMC. It only scrapes fixed names (folder.jpg, fanart.jpg etc.)

You CAN make it scrape different fixed names by setting things in advancedsettings.xml, and I do that in fact (cover.jpg).

Try renaming a fanart image to to just "fanart.jpg" for one movie, then import it, and see if your image is being pulled from the local drive.

Oh, and also, in this context "LOCAL" means not from the internet. From a NAS, from a network path, from local hard drive etc. is ALL considered local in this context.
(2012-10-11, 12:50)SiliconKid Wrote: b. I'm not sure about your naming convention for the fanart files. I THINK XBMC will only scrape "fanart.jpg". I don't think it's going to scrape fanart files that are named like that with the movie name etc. as the file name and a jpg extension.

I think that applies to all artwork files with XBMC. It only scrapes fixed names (folder.jpg, fanart.jpg etc.)

You CAN make it scrape different fixed names by setting things in advancedsettings.xml, and I do that in fact (cover.jpg).

Try renaming a fanart image to to just "fanart.jpg" for one movie, then import it, and see if your image is being pulled from the local drive.

Oh, and also, in this context "LOCAL" means not from the internet. From a NAS, from a network path, from local hard drive etc. is ALL considered local in this context.

His naming convention for his artwork (fanart and posters) should work fine. In fact if you export your library as single files, that is how XBMC exports the artwork, named based on the video filename.

<filename>.tbn
<filename>-fanart.jpg

Sounds like the debug log is the next step. Might also be a good idea to link the content of one of your nfo files on here as well (use pastebin and just give the link)
Ok cool.

That clears that up then.

Might still be worth trying fixed names just to eliminate the possibility that his specific file names are upsetting something ?
The user should not do anything without first consulting the Debug Log.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Here is the debug log:

Some of those connection failed errors might have been when I killed the internet.
Also, the login for my has for media is RO. Not sure what those permission denieds are. however, if they were being denied on the folders, I would not be able to see the videos at all since the videos, nfo and art are all in the same folder for each movie.

When adding my new TV Shows, I chose not to use a scraper. The pic for the show comes up when I browse to it. However, They won't show up under TV shows. Only Video > Files. However, if I read that directory as a different library and choose a tvdb scraper, they then show up under TV shows. But then it doesn't use my data.

Something else I noticed. under TV shows, I unplugged the WAN connection and it would take 15 minutes per episode to scan. but it would come up with the correct data and images. However, when i plugged in the internet again it flew through scanning of the
Here is the debug log:

Some of those connection failed errors might have been when I killed the internet.
Also, the login for my has for media is RO. Not sure what those permission denieds are. however, if they were being denied on the folders, I would not be able to see the videos at all since the videos, nfo and art are all in the same folder for each movie.

When adding my new TV Shows, I chose not to use a scraper. The pic for the show comes up when I browse to it. However, They won't show up under TV shows. Only Video > Files. However, if I read that directory as a different library and choose a tvdb scraper, they then show up under TV shows. But then it doesn't use my data.

Something else I noticed. under TV shows, I unplugged the WAN connection and it would take 15 minutes per episode to scan. but it would come up with the correct data and images. However, when i plugged in the internet again it flew through scanning of the episodes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not using data I already scraped. Downloading all new info?0