Win SPDIF Out
I need to get an SPDIF optical out from my HTPC directly to a Samsung Sound Bar, as using HDMI from the HTPC to my TV, then SPDIF from the TV to the Sound Bar only supports PCM.

The HTPC is a Streacom FC5 with a GA-Z77M-D3H fitted. The SPDIF out connectors on this particular motherboard consist of just two pins - GND and SPDIF_O, there is no +5v.

The motherboard manual states:

SPDIF_O (S/PDIF Out Header)
This header supports digital S/PDIF Out and connects a S/PDIF digital audio cable (provided by expansion
cards) for digital audio output from your motherboard to certain expansion cards like graphics cards and
sound cards. For example, some graphics cards may require you to use a S/PDIF digital audio cable for
digital audio output from your motherboard to your graphics card if you wish to connect an HDMI display
to the graphics card and have digital audio output from the HDMI display at the same time. For information
about connecting the S/PDIF digital audio cable, carefully read the manual for your expansion card.

I've already asked this question on the Gigabyte forums, but no one has replied in over a week, so I'm hoping someone on XBMC can help Smile
Is it possible to use one of the Gigabyte SPDIF panels that come with a 3 pin block (SPDIF_O, GND and +5v) but connect the +5v to another +5v source, or will it not work without being fed into an additional video/sound card as mentioned?

If the above isn't possible, can someone please recommend a half height PCI-E sound card with SPDIF out that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS?

Cheers
The SPDIF out or header on your mother board is Coaxial and not Optical out. If your soundbar has coaxial input you can use it. Otherwise there are two options: 1. get a sound card with optical out. 2. get a coaxial to optical converter.
(2012-10-11, 08:18)baijuxavior Wrote: The SPDIF out or header on your mother board is Coaxial and not Optical out. If your soundbar has coaxial input you can use it. Otherwise there are two options: 1. get a sound card with optical out. 2. get a coaxial to optical converter.

Can I ask how you know this? All of the SPDIF Brackets available for Gigabyte motherboards support both Coaxial and Optical:

They all only use 3 pins into the Motherboard: +5V, GND and SPDIF_O .... there aren't separate SPDIF_O connectors for coaxial and optical.

From this I would assume that the SPDIF_O signal is the same for both types of connector, while the GND is required for the Coaxial connector and the +5v is required for the Optical out.
Your motherboard has only two pins for the spdif out which means the output is coaxial. Coaxial needs only two pins one for the ground and the other for the digital signal. A +5V is needed for converting this signal to optical. You know there should be some kind of conversion needed for optical which requires power. Most probably you can use the adapter you posted and take a +5V from another +5V rail. It should work.
For anyone who might be looking to do the same, I've finally got round to trying this and can confirm it works, I can now output via optical in DTS and DD Smile

I had to split the cable and separate the header, connecting the SPDIF_O and GND to the correct header and the +5v to a 5v connector on one of the spare USB headers.

Cheers for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SPDIF Out0