7mc WTV large files fail
Hi,

I'd really like to be able to play 7mc Recorded TV .wtv files but for some reason Raspbmc is unable to play such files that are larger than 2-3gb. I've read reports of others having the same issue, although the problem seems to only arise with certain geographic TV transmissions. The source of my own recordings is UK Freeview DVB-T.

Is this something that can be fixed or does XBMC have similar issues with wtv files on other platforms also?
Is this fixable? If any of the dev's could respond to this, it would be much appreciated.
Anyone?
(2012-11-24, 12:23)Mista_c Wrote: Anyone?

Can you install windows or linux (Frodo beta version) xbmc and see if the files behave okay there.
They play fine in Windows Eden. Video playback is also OK in Frodo, albeit without any sound, but this is a general issue I'm having with Windows Frodo.

On the Raspberry Pi, wtv files under say 1.5gb play fine, but above that when the file is selected for playback the screen hangs with a black screen and doesn't start playing either video or audio.

I'm accessing the file via SMB but others on the internet have tried playing directly from an SD card but the same thing happens as above.
P.s large files of other formats, eg 4gb MKV's play fine on the RPi
I can confirm that on Windows 7 XBMC Frodo, using the Nov 01 nightly, full length wtv files play back fine (both video and audio).

On raspbmc (the latest install plus XBMC Frodo beta) the same full length wtv movie file will not play. It acts like it will, but then all I get is a black screen, no video and no audio. You can bring up the OSD and hit stop etc. Raspbmc is still running and nothing freezes, just no video/audio. A small wtv clip plays just fine on raspbmc.

One odd thing I did note is that in the movies/title list win7/XBMC correctly lists the wtv files as HD. Raspbmc lists them as SD (they are in fact HD). This is true for both 720 and 1080 content. In both cases XBMC is accessing the exact same NAS using NFS and looking at the exact same files.
Can you enable debugging and upload an xbmc.log to a pastebin style site.
I posted my log on dropbox. Hopefully that will work If you really need pastbin I can figure out how to use that.

My understanding is that raspbmc enable debug logging by default now. I am not sure if the detail is sufficient or not. I believe I can increase it through advancedsettings.xml, but I am not sure what level is needed.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122210057/xmbc.test.log

In the log file, the first wtv file opened (The Mummy Returns) is the full length file which just gave a blank screen. The second files is just a .TS that works fine and was just a baseline. The third is Dragon Wars and is a short wtv clip that worked fine.

Never mind. I went and changed the debug. Attached is the log:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122210057/xbmc.debug.log

Here I first ran the full length wtv, then the small clip.
popcornmix,

If at some point you think it is a firmware issue, and it would help to have an issue opened on github, let me know and I will open one there.
(2012-11-25, 18:38)phmt Wrote: If at some point you think it is a firmware issue, and it would help to have an issue opened on github, let me know and I will open one there.

If it's related to file size, then I don't think it can be firmware. The firmware has no idea about the size of the file (of even what container it came in).
It's looking more like an ffmpeg issue.
I'd be interested in whther these files play on an ATV2 (if it's an ffmpeg on ARM issue).

If you find a small enough file that shows the problem and can upload it somewhere that mayu help.
(2012-11-25, 21:35)popcornmix Wrote: If it's related to file size, then I don't think it can be firmware. The firmware has no idea about the size of the file (of even what container it came in).
It's looking more like an ffmpeg issue.
I'd be interested in whther these files play on an ATV2 (if it's an ffmpeg on ARM issue).

If you find a small enough file that shows the problem and can upload it somewhere that mayu help.

Unfortunately I don't have an ATV2, so I can't test that.

I can record at various lengths until it breaks, but what is "small enough"? From previous posts it looks like it will probably be upwards of ~2gb. Is 2gb small enough (if it takes that much)?

What about the SD/HD detection on raspbmc? Win7/XBMC correctly recognizes the files as HD, but raspbmc indicates the exact same file is SD. Could that be related to ffmepg?
It does not look like it will be a small file. So far I am up to 2.3gb and they work, while the 10-12gb ones don't. One thing I noticed is that the large wtv files takes a much longer time (2x-3x) "working" (even when compared to a 10gb mpeg2 file) before it attempts to start and you get the black screen. Again, the 2.6gb wtv file starts very quickly, a large TS file takes a little longer to start, and then the large wtv takes a very long time "working" before it attempts to play..
ts files tend to be slow to launch as they don't have a header/index. Working out the full list of streams, or the duration is quite an tricky job, and takes some time.
Possibly wtv files are similar, and the imitial parsing is slow (and proportional to file length), and something just times out when the file is too big.
(2012-11-26, 13:09)popcornmix Wrote: ts files tend to be slow to launch as they don't have a header/index. Working out the full list of streams, or the duration is quite an tricky job, and takes some time.
Possibly wtv files are similar, and the imitial parsing is slow (and proportional to file length), and something just times out when the file is too big.

Since it looks like this issue may not be an easy fix, or even your issue, what is the best way to get this on a official "to be fixed list"? Should it be posted on the XBMC bug tracker?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
7mc WTV large files fail 0