7mc WTV large files fail
(2015-01-13, 03:21)pablo180 Wrote: I've timed about ten items that won't play, the time from when I press play to when it appears to play but there is just a black screen is about 32-33 seconds. None were more than 35 seconds. It seems to be sliding scale. Files less than 1GB play in a few seconds, more than 1GB and it takes about 20 seconds. The closer to 3GB the file size is, the closer to 32-33s the timer gets before it plays, until the 3GB+ ones just don't play at all.

I'm sure that before the update they all used to play in under 10 seconds.

I've got a 3GB wtv test file (Zoralth_Split3GB_Fail.wtv) and with Helix branch (local build not raspbmc) it opens in about a second without problems.
It sounds like you don't have the wtv patch in your build. I've checked with Sam and he's happy it is in place.
It might be worth testing with openelec just to see if that also has the problem.

Post a debug enabled log file just in case that indicates anything wrong.
You could upload a file that is failing for you and I could test it.
(2015-01-13, 18:23)popcornmix Wrote: I've got a 3GB wtv test file (Zoralth_Split3GB_Fail.wtv) and with Helix branch (local build not raspbmc) it opens in about a second without problems.
It sounds like you don't have the wtv patch in your build. I've checked with Sam and he's happy it is in place.
It might be worth testing with openelec just to see if that also has the problem.

Post a debug enabled log file just in case that indicates anything wrong.
You could upload a file that is failing for you and I could test it.

Thanks for looking into this. I tried Openelec, it played all the files no problem and opened them in just a couple of seconds, even 5GB ones.

I've uploaded a debug log file here: kodi.log

I tried to play several wtv files that don't play whilst it was logging, they are: Up Periscope-.wtv, Jaws 3.wtv and Life Story.S01E06.Parenthood.wtv, none of them played. I can still upload one of the files if that helps?

Thanks again for looking at this, it is driving me nuts.
(2015-01-13, 21:12)pablo180 Wrote: I've uploaded a debug log file here: kodi.log

Can you disable "extract thumbnails and video information"
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos

and see if it makes a difference?
(2015-01-13, 22:01)popcornmix Wrote: Can you disable "extract thumbnails and video information"
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos

and see if it makes a difference?

Thanks, I disabled the extract thumbnails and video information, but it didn't make any difference. The files still wouldn't load and it didn't appear to speed up the ones that did. I also disabled TV Tunes as I thought that may be slowing it down, but it also didn't make any difference.
Problem solved. In the end I just switched to Openelec. Sure, I had to copy over my library, my add-ons etc which took some time but I have been wasting time on this since Christmas day.

Openelec works flawlessly, all the files play and swiftly, moreover it appears to warn of updates, so I (hopefully) won’t have the situation where unbeknownst to me it updates Christmas day and leaves me with a skin that doesn’t work on Helix, rendering it unusable until I resolved that problem. Then of course I discovered that certain files would no longer play.

archie456, thanks for the suggestion, I did look into MCE Buddy but it just wasn’t worthwhile. The computer running Media Centre is slow, it was taking about 40-60mins just to convert to .ts files i.e. no actual conversion. I also needed to keep .wtv files where possible due to using Media Centre Extenders throughout the house and would have ended up with series with episodes missing.

popcornmix, thanks again for looking into this, it was much appreciated, as was the suggestion to test Openelec. However I just wish that I had switched earlier and saved myself a couple of weeks of head scratching and searching for a solution.
I have the same problems with large 7mc wtv files. When I select one to play it takes around 30 seconds where the systems displays a waiting sign in the lower right corner. After that time I can see icons appearing for all the files in the current list (one after the other from bottom to the top) and when all files (except the one I want to play) show their icon the scan stops and nothing is played.

popcornmix mentioned a path in one of the previous posts of this thread but the link is dead. Nevertheless I have found that patch elsewhere and it seems to me that it is still not contained in ffmpeg or Kodi 16 RC1. Can someone confirm this? Here's the patch: vero-053-speed-up-wtv-index.patch

Update: I am seeing this both on Android 5.1 and on a Fire TV stick. Same problem with Kodi 15.2 and 16.0 RC1. Both are connected via WLAN. On a old notebook (Lenovo T500) with Ubuntu 14.04 and Kodi 15.2~git20151019.1039 it works flawlessly.

Uli
(2016-01-22, 22:15)uli42 Wrote: popcornmix mentioned a path in one of the previous posts of this thread but the link is dead. Nevertheless I have found that patch elsewhere and it seems to me that it is still not contained in ffmpeg or Kodi 16 RC1. Can someone confirm this? Here's the patch: vero-053-speed-up-wtv-index.patch

Meanwhile I have compiled Kodi myself and added the patch above. Large WTVs now work great!

Uli
(2016-02-16, 21:42)uli42 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:15)uli42 Wrote: popcornmix mentioned a path in one of the previous posts of this thread but the link is dead. Nevertheless I have found that patch elsewhere and it seems to me that it is still not contained in ffmpeg or Kodi 16 RC1. Can someone confirm this? Here's the patch: vero-053-speed-up-wtv-index.patch

Meanwhile I have compiled Kodi myself and added the patch above. Large WTVs now work great!

Good news. It is in ffmpeg 3.0. https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/...47662ac372
So, all platforms should have the benefit in a future Kodi update.
(2016-02-16, 21:53)popcornmix Wrote: Good news. It is in ffmpeg 3.0. https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/...47662ac372
So, all platforms should have the benefit in a future Kodi update.

Great! Do you have any idea how long it might take until Kodi will adapt ffmpeg 3.0?

Uli
(2016-02-16, 21:58)uli42 Wrote: Great! Do you have any idea how long it might take until Kodi will adapt ffmpeg 3.0?

Too late for Kodi 16. Should be in Kodi 17 - probably will appear in nightly builds in near future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
7mc WTV large files fail 0