7mc WTV large files fail
@Zoralth
if it is the ffmpeg probing that is failing, then it should just be dependent on the initial few seconds of the file.

If you take a 4GB file that is failing and cut it down to first 200MB, does it still fail in the same way?
Ok

Took 3.7GB WTV file that was failing and

a) cut it down to 50MB. File played correctly and log shows probe was successful in decoding stream.
b) cut the 3.7GB file to 1GB. File still played correctly and log shows probe was successful in decoding stream.
c) cut the 3.7GB file to 2GB. File still played correctly and log shows probe was successful in decoding stream.
d) cut the 3.7GB file to 3GB. File would not play. Same errors as shown in previous post (ie decoding for stream failed & could not find codec parameters. Stream was not identified correctly)

Went back and look at the 6GB WTV file that works for me. Different audio ac3 vs mp2 and higher res 1440x1080 vs 720x576. So assume that the issue is linked more to (time x information) than directly file size. Would maybe explain why everyone has different file sizes that work/fail. I know I have many above 4GB that work.

Hope this helps.
Ah, I do have a file I downloaded from Mista_C an age ago. 3GB in size, and it does fail to play. I'll see what I can discover.
Thanks Popcornmix.

Just sent you a PM with details to another file if you need it.
Just wondering if MPEG-2 video is all that you're testing here or does anyone know how H.264 wtv files perform?
All issues I have come across have been MPEG-2. I have used MCEBuddy to convert problem files to H.264 which have been fine but since the conversion removed ads etc the resultant H.264 file has always been < 3GB so therefore doesn't prove anything. (all issues with WTV MPEG-2 seem to be based on file size > 3GB) I have grabbed a 17GB MPEG-2 WTV file and am converting it to H.264 without removing adds etc and will let you know if I have any issues playing it.
Thanks Zoralth - good to know H.264 works. Just wondering about those captures made where the source is H.264 and the container is the default .wtv that wmc creates. I don't intend to convert any files as I've a few too many.
I also seem to run into this issue fairly often. In my case I have a normal X86 Win7 laptop running MCE doing the recordings and another X86 desktop running Ubuntu and XBMC. Recordings accessed via SMB. My normal recordings tend to be sporting events. Standard def 480i, upwards of 10GB a piece. for ~4 hours. WTV files fail but if I convert to DVR-MS using Windows' own tool (right click WTV file, 'convert to dvr-ms') it plays back perfectly. All MPEG-2/AC3 files, btw.
My guess is Popcornmix is swamped with other work so my fix...was to move off MCE and use MediaPortal backend. Used MCEbuddy to convert all the wtv files to h.264(a process that is still going on due to the volume) Note MediaPortal runs fine along with MCE so if this problem is ever sorted it still is an option to go back too. Note there are a few options for backend on Windows so if you go this way take a look at the different pros/cons. The integration of MediaPortal and xbmc on the pi is fairly good. Some things I would love to see improved but workable. Like a lot of people I'm still searching for THE solution but for the time being this works for me.
Is there any fix to this issue?

I've just got a RPi and wanted to use it to play Windows 7 Media Center files on another TV in another room. Works fine with smaller WTV files - but above 3GB no joy.

I really don't want to convert anything, I want the system to be as simple as possible - just play a file from a remote location.
I've experienced the same issue. Anyone know of a path to resolution, short of switching backend recording services or transcoding?
Unfortunately, I didnt find any fix to this... I still cant understand why its happening.

I know you didn't want to transcode - my solution in the end used MCEBuddy - great bit of software.
I've had another look at this, and all my test streams are currently playing.

Can you try using a latest Milhouse (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=184866) or miappa (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176043).

If a stream fails to start, then bring up OSD and in audio settings switch to the other audio track.
Popcornmix I am running the latest miappa build and it still fails to play a wtv recording of the olympics that I have. I get the spinner for several seconds and then it just quits.

If I convert the file using MCEBuddy to mkv, ts, or mp4 without re-encoding the video it plays fine but then won't play on my ceton echo. This is the only glitch right now keeping me from ditching the echo in favor of my raspberry pi. If there is any testing I can do to help or log files I can provide let me know.
(2014-03-19, 17:47)toadleyb Wrote: Popcornmix I am running the latest miappa build and it still fails to play a wtv recording of the olympics that I have. I get the spinner for several seconds and then it just quits.

If I convert the file using MCEBuddy to mkv, ts, or mp4 without re-encoding the video it plays fine but then won't play on my ceton echo. This is the only glitch right now keeping me from ditching the echo in favor of my raspberry pi. If there is any testing I can do to help or log files I can provide let me know.

Hmmm. I've got 5 wtv files that have been reported as not playing, but are all playing with latest milhouse build.
Can you try with milhouse build?
If you are able to upload a failing wtv file (I know they are large, but google drive can handle large uploads) then I can test it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
7mc WTV large files fail 0