Windows 8 + Netflix + XBMC Integration?
So Netflix released their official app for Windows 8 this week. So if you are running the RTM version of Windows 8 then you can download it directly from their store. Has anyone tried this yet? I imagine it may be very friendly with XBMC i.e. launch from your XBMC menu then just simple arrow/enter commands to navigate, but I'm not sure as I'm running on Windows 7 on my HTPC and plan to do so.

This would be a great solution though as XBMC Flix and even PlayOn for me through XBMC has been unreliable.
I upgraded my htpc to windows 8 the other day specifically for the netflix app they have provided. Thousands of times better than what was before.

I really love XBMC, but the lack of support for integrating netflix is the biggest factor for me, in not using it as much as i would.

My wife and kids, have no problem navigating xbmc, but exiting to run netflix causes confusion. My harmony remote works great in xbmc, but backing out into netflix via browser means they have to use the little qwerty garbage mouse pad remote.

I have xbmc load on boot, if netflix were built in, good god my house would run so much smoother.

I would contribute/pay, for a developer to get the means to integrate it directly into xbmc, so i only have to use one remote.
(2012-10-22, 06:06)scribes Wrote: I upgraded my htpc to windows 8 the other day specifically for the netflix app they have provided. Thousands of times better than what was before.

I really love XBMC, but the lack of support for integrating netflix is the biggest factor for me, in not using it as much as i would.

My wife and kids, have no problem navigating xbmc, but exiting to run netflix causes confusion. My harmony remote works great in xbmc, but backing out into netflix via browser means they have to use the little qwerty garbage mouse pad remote.

I have xbmc load on boot, if netflix were built in, good god my house would run so much smoother.

I would contribute/pay, for a developer to get the means to integrate it directly into xbmc, so i only have to use one remote.

you should take a look at this link http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/2012/11/0...-launcher/ there is a way to do exactly what your looking for
Installed Windows 8 for netfilx on my Eeebox since the app can handle Video Hardware Decoding, something this is lacking in the Silvelight counterpart.

The biggest problem is that the Netflix App isn't remote frindley at all. You have to use the Tab key to get around. It is clearly made for touch devices. This makes is more or less useless unless you wan't to whip out a mouse or a keyboard (It is still a pain using a Keyboard to navigate the app)
Hi, I made the script in the post above, I found the same thing. The netflix metro app is just not made for a remote.

If it helps any I could try and modify the script so that channel up and down (on a standard media center remote) is converted to tab forward and backwards.

If anyone else has some other basic functionality they want let me know Ill try and add it.

Also, has anyone tried the script? My wordpress is not showing any downloads. I dont want to bother if noone is going to use it.

Thanks!
(2012-11-15, 10:43)daninino Wrote: Installed Windows 8 for netfilx on my Eeebox since the app can handle Video Hardware Decoding, something this is lacking in the Silvelight counterpart.

The biggest problem is that the Netflix App isn't remote frindley at all. You have to use the Tab key to get around. It is clearly made for touch devices. This makes is more or less useless unless you wan't to whip out a mouse or a keyboard (It is still a pain using a Keyboard to navigate the app)

I'm pretty upset about this. It's so stupid that Win8 is alledgedly supposed to be for all platforms and emulates the xboxlive tiles. Yet, the netflix app requires a mouse and more over a touch screen. The same goes for HuluPlus. I contacted Hulu yesterday to see if there are keycommands that I can program into my remote. They have yet to respond.

Absolute fail on Netflix and Hulu's part. Such an easy fix too. People want to watch stuff on their TV's over their tablets.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2012-11-15, 22:21)tjcinnamon Wrote: Absolute fail on Netflix and Hulu's part. Such an easy fix too. People want to watch stuff on their TV's over their tablets.
You can use an autohotkey script to make the Netflix App remote friendly...

INSTALLATION INFO
  1. install Autohotkey (google for the link)
  2. in Windows 8.1 make sure your font/DPI settings are set to the default factory settings. Then using Window's Search, search for "Change the Size of Apps on the screen" and make sure it is set to "Default" or "Larger". The latter makes it more comfortable to read from a usual TV-sitting distance.
  3. If it's set to "Default" download & run this .ahk script: https://gist.github.com/holgate/01d73c6ac33ab4b6d66f
  4. or, if it's set to "Larger" download & run this .ahk script: https://gist.github.com/holgate/7dcc49ef9d202a5a199e
  5. start the Netflix metro app and press LEFT or RIGHT on the keyboard to test it out
NOTE1: If your display isn't set to 1920x1080 pixels you'll likely need to modify the coordinates.
NOTE2: If you don't want to use autohotkey application, you can convert the code to a standalone .exe instead
I'm running Netflix on my Cubox I4 Pro (Openelec) , PlayOn server installed on my Win 7, it works without problems.
Imo it's the best solution atm.
Playon isn't free and the display quality via the Playon server is a bit less, but I agree, its the most simple solution for OpenElec (and all the other XBMC platforms). Another Playon plus is a possibility to add PlayLater and record Netflix media so one can watch it of-line at a later moment.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2014-10-17, 15:06)p750mmx Wrote: Playon isn't free and the display quality via the Playon server is a bit less, but I agree, its the most simple solution for OpenElec (and all the other XBMC platforms). Another Playon plus is a possibility to add PlayLater and record Netflix media so one can watch it of-line at a later moment.

I'm aware of the points you're saying, but i'm quite happy with this solution for the moment.

Ok don't want to hijack this thread as it's titled Windows 8 + Netflix Smile
For now I use netflix metro app because have audio 5.1, and when use via browse only 2.0, I find simple way for launch APP via Kodi, look this video (in portuguese)

MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 + Netflix + XBMC Integration? 0