Audio drop outs at start of Video
Thanks very much for your post, Stephan.

That seems to be a good explanation of why r11392 works, but it doesn't give much hope for the future, unfortunately.

I am puzzled that there is so little posted around the place about this. Am I one of only a very few people who want to use and RPi with XBMC to play music, or are others just not experiencing this problem, or perhaps not finding it as irksome as I do?

Is there a preferred way to request that this problem be addressed? Or has it been? I'm still not clear on the implications of the closed bug report I mentioned above.
Hi,
I've still got this drop out and I'm currently using OpenElec r12195. I'm planning to upgrade to a later OpenElec or Raspbmc once I see a build that has the latest commits.

I can't remember if there was ever a time this didn't happen but as I said it seems identical to the glitch when playing audio files that was fixed a while back. On my older TV it would result in a warble but on my Sony its a drop out so I assume the TVs are handling this differently. I'm surprised not many people have got this so I'll have to give it a test on my other TVs and see if I get the same result.

Rob
Damn, I just ordered a RPI to build my brother a media player for Christmas but if the music playback doesn't work properly it's not going to be much use for him Sad
(2012-11-13, 04:02)doveman2 Wrote: Damn, I just ordered a RPI to build my brother a media player for Christmas but if the music playback doesn't work properly it's not going to be much use for him Sad

I still don't have handle on whether this is just some quirk of the set up that a few of us have, or if it is a general issue, experienced by all, but considered as a problem, or even a deal-breaker, by just a few.

Readers, please chime in with your experience, one way or the other. Any audio drop out or warbles at the start of your audio tracks?
Just to clarify my issue is with video files only, not audio files.
I confirm the issue is there for me, too. Rpi over hdmi...
I also confirm the issue appeared at one point and not before...
(2012-11-13, 10:20)welshblob Wrote: Just to clarify my issue is with video files only, not audio files.
That's interesting. For me, the audio loss at the start of a video is just a very minor glitch as often there is no significant audio at the start anyway. The major concern I have is the loss of signal at the start of MP3 tracks. You have no trouble at all with those? Does anyone else?

(2012-11-13, 10:26)Koying Wrote: I confirm the issue is there for me, too. Rpi over hdmi...
I also confirm the issue appeared at one point and not before...
Thanks for that. I haven't experimented to see if the same glitch occurs with the analogue audio output; it's HDMI for me too.

(2012-11-13, 11:17)xarqi Wrote: Thanks for that. I haven't experimented to see if the same glitch occurs with the analogue audio output; it's HDMI for me too.

Perhaps it'll be OK for my brother after all then as he'll be using the analogue output, split to his TV and amp.
Yeah, I confirm for VIDEO files. Audio play fine without glitches.
I suspect https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commit/.../omxplayer

will try without it tonight...
(2012-11-13, 11:17)xarqi Wrote:
(2012-11-13, 10:20)welshblob Wrote: Just to clarify my issue is with video files only, not audio files.
That's interesting. For me, the audio loss at the start of a video is just a very minor glitch as often there is no significant audio at the start anyway. The major concern I have is the loss of signal at the start of MP3 tracks. You have no trouble at all with those? Does anyone else?

No mp3 files play ok following an update around late August. I thought the audio problem with the video would have been fixed at the same time as I'd logically connected the two, but it wasn't

I updated to OpenElec r12458 from the stateofme website last night and it has the same issue (that image appears to have been removed today) although I still have to try it with different TVs.

Rob

(2012-11-13, 12:38)Koying Wrote: I suspect https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commit/.../omxplayer

will try without it tonight...

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...o.cpp#L468 This is the related block.

The problem itselfe is not simple. When we fall back in audio decode and the omx audio component fill level is getting low, playback is paused and resumed after enough audio data is decoded. Without this we would fall back permanent and some movies would become unplayable. For pure audio playback we do not need this trick, as it is fast enough.

If i leave the block users complain about audio on startup.
If i remove the block users complain about movies not playing smooth.

I tend to remove that stop and go when the RaspberryPI Foundation start selling the audio decoders.

I don't think this is the same problem, at least the symptoms in the ticket are not the same.

In this instance, it looks to me as audio starts early, then video pops in late and resync is done by inserting gaps in audio.
No idea whether that makes sense code-wise, but that's my perception...
(2012-11-13, 19:12)Koying Wrote: I don't think this is the same problem, at least the symptoms in the ticket are not the same.

In this instance, it looks to me as audio starts early, then video pops in late and resync is done by inserting gaps in audio.

Then it must be done on the OMX side. Omxplayer itselfe doesn't insert aditional audio. We only feed what we get from the decoder.
(2012-11-13, 10:20)welshblob Wrote: No mp3 files play ok following an update around late August. I thought the audio problem with the video would have been fixed at the same time as I'd logically connected the two, but it wasn't
I think you must mean "No, mp3 files play ok...". That comma is pretty vital!
So - this begs the question: "What am I doing differently?", since the ONLY version of XBMC for RPi I've used that plays MP3s correctly is OpenELEC r11392. The first release of raspbmc rc5 didn't fix it, and the last nightly I tried, abut a week ago, was no different.

(2012-11-13, 18:04)gimli Wrote: The problem itselfe is not simple. When we fall back in audio decode and the omx audio component fill level is getting low, playback is paused and resumed after enough audio data is decoded. Without this we would fall back permanent and some movies would become unplayable. For pure audio playback we do not need this trick, as it is fast enough.

If i leave the block users complain about audio on startup.
If i remove the block users complain about movies not playing smooth.

I tend to remove that stop and go when the RaspberryPI Foundation start selling the audio decoders.
This suggests to me that I'm in the wrong thread, and that the problem I'm experiencing with audio is not the same as that which others find with soundtracks for videos. Should I start another thread?

(2012-11-13, 19:33)gimli Wrote:
(2012-11-13, 19:12)Koying Wrote: I don't think this is the same problem, at least the symptoms in the ticket are not the same.

Then it must be done on the OMX side. Omxplayer itselfe doesn't insert aditional audio. We only feed what we get from the decoder.
Might this mean that the issue with MP3s (if it is not something strange about *my* MP3s is in OMX? Who is responsible for that software and where should I seek support?

Thanks to all respondents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio drop outs at start of Video0