Audio drop outs at start of Video
Update:
I've explored a little further.
I get this fault with other audio formats, not just MP3. I tried AIFF and OGG.
Via the analogue audio output there is no problem (Good news for Doveman2's brother!)

I don't think that I am alone in experiencing this as there is a mention here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1191149
That is probably where I got the idea to try that earlier version of OpenELEC, from Stephan (sraue) who posted both in that thread and this one - thanks again.

What's the way forward here?
How good is the DAC in the RPi? Should I just "biwire" it, and select HDMI audio when I watch movies and analogue when I listen to music?
(2012-11-14, 11:16)xarqi Wrote: Update:
I've explored a little further.
I get this fault with other audio formats, not just MP3. I tried AIFF and OGG.
Via the analogue audio output there is no problem (Good news for Doveman2's brother!)

Thanks for confirming that. Hope you find a solution for your problems as well.

It would be useful to test if (command line) omxplayer from raspbian image has the same drop-outs.
Does mplayer/mpg123 using HDMI ALSA have the same drop-outs (on audio files)?
How, is omxplayer in the raspbian repo? I was about to compile it manually...
omxplayer is installed by default on recent raspbian images.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install omxplayer
will also get it
Yep, same symptoms... That actually doesn't say much as the source of the xbmc player for rpi is omxplayer...
(2012-11-14, 20:43)Koying Wrote: Yep, same symptoms... That actually doesn't say much as the source of the xbmc player for rpi is omxplayer...
Same for both omxplayer and ALSA?
By ALSA, you actually mean Alsa + Analog output , right?
What player can I use for that? Doesn't omxplayer allows it?
(2012-11-15, 12:39)Koying Wrote: By ALSA, you actually mean Alsa + Analog output , right?

You can use mplayer for example. Omxplayer only uses OMX components.
(2012-11-15, 12:39)Koying Wrote: By ALSA, you actually mean Alsa + Analog output , right?

ALSA to HDMI would be the more relevant test. ALSA should default to HDMI if you have an audio capable T|V/receiver plugged in.
But you can change the destination:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound
Ok, thanks guys. Will test and report...
Thanks. That'll be interesting. I'd like to try the ALSA thing myself, given the implications of openelec r11392, but it'll take several days for me to get up to speed on exactly how to do it, even given the instructions here, as I'm not very familiar or comfortable with linux.

I tried the "biwire" approach, and it isn't an ideal work-around for me. Swapping audio output is somewhat of a hassle; I had to crank up the amp volume by about 18 dB to boost the seemingly low analogue level, and that made for a few hellaciously loud pops and crackles at times, and if I forget to drop it before switching sources I'll get blasted out of my chair.

I'm still hopeful for an HDMI audio solution.
That doesn't sound good about very low analogue output level. Is there something in the code that's making it lower than it could be?
Just installed the final of raspbmc/frodo over the weekend and it looks like this issue has been fixed.
Thanks to whoever fixed it, probably gimili.
Rob
(2013-02-11, 10:21)welshblob Wrote: Just installed the final of raspbmc/frodo over the weekend and it looks like this issue has been fixed.
Thanks to whoever fixed it, probably gimili.
Rob

Well, I dusted off the RPi, loaded up the latest version, and imported my library (which took about 4+ hours).
Result?
Video works OK with a gap at the start of the audio; music tracks are the same - a gap at the start.

So - no change that I can see.

Back to my PC based XBMC system - the Rpi/Raspbmc version is still broken, as far as I'm concerned anyway; others it may suit perfectly.

I'll check again after the next report of a breakthrough.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio drop outs at start of Video0