Choppy/Stuttering playback of MPEG2/VOB files
Hi,

I'm seeing some issues when playing back MPEG2 content, such as VOB files.
The issue is that during playback the video stutters irregularly as well as regularly (e.g. stutter every second).

When the stutter is irregular, the video stutters at the exact same position when played back again. I've tested this on Raspbmc, Openelec and Xbian (all latest available builds) and the problem is identical for all (I did add the mpeg2 license to config.txt off course).

I tried to isolate the issue and installed a standalone version of omxplayer (http://omxplayer.sconde.net) and when the video is played back manually through omxplayer, all stuttering is gone and the file plays very nicely.

On the Raspbmc forum I've already posted about this issue as well (see http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3400, in which I've posted a sample video which shows the issue (http://www.sendspace.com/file/r56dhu, VOB, 32MB, 35sec).

Since omxplayer does not seem to be the cause I'm thinking it might be an XBMC issue, so maybe this issue is better placed in this forum. I do not have any technical in-depth knowledge about xbmc, so have no idea where to continue from here on.

Maybe someone can follow up on this issue?
I must be blind, but i do not see a problem. Can you post a debug log ? Let the video run a few minutes.
Okay, in the test file I posted, stuttering can be seen at (about) 9sec, at 17sec (videos slows down there, but it shouldn't), and also at 24sec and 32sec (video slows down again). I'll see if I can post an example with continous stuttering.

Here's the log: http://www.sendspace.com/file/h0qpzt
And here is another test file (13MB, 20sec) which has repeated stuttering throughout the length of the sample.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dz9ozg
(2012-10-15, 20:57)gimli Wrote: Let the video run a few minutes.

Ok, tried playing the videos for a bit longer time, but the stuttering persists. Also after stopping and playing again (even multiple times) stuttering is still there.

I don't understand why they play fine when running omxplayer without xbmc. Does xbmc do something special to the video stream before giving it to omxplayer?

(2012-10-16, 21:58)kire1980 Wrote:
(2012-10-15, 20:57)gimli Wrote: Let the video run a few minutes.

Ok, tried playing the videos for a bit longer time, but the stuttering persists. Also after stopping and playing again (even multiple times) stuttering is still there.

I don't understand why they play fine when running omxplayer without xbmc. Does xbmc do something special to the video stream before giving it to omxplayer?

Did you disable "Settings->Video->->Playback->Adjust display refreshrate ....."
Yes, tried playing with "Adjust display refreshrate" set to disabled. Still stuttering unfortunately... Btw, it doesn't make a difference if enabled or disabled, the videos stutter in exactly the same positions.

Anything else I can try? Why does it work fine ouside xbmc and stutter when played from inside xbmc?
(2012-10-17, 21:36)kire1980 Wrote: Yes, tried playing with "Adjust display refreshrate" set to disabled. Still stuttering unfortunately... Btw, it doesn't make a difference if enabled or disabled, the videos stutter in exactly the same positions.

Anything else I can try? Why does it work fine ouside xbmc and stutter when played from inside xbmc?

Strange thing, here it doesn't.
What are you running, Openelec, Raspbmc? Which version?
(2012-10-17, 22:06)kire1980 Wrote: What are you running, Openelec, Raspbmc? Which version?

My own buildroot sytsem, bleeding edge.
Ok,
well then, since I don't do my own builds, I'll try the latest openelec tonight, see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, I guess it's just a matter of waiting and keep trying the latest builds.

Thanks for looking into this issue!
Now I installed Openelec R12089, only added the decode_MPG2 key and copied the vob file to the sd-card, did nothing more, and stuttering is still there Sad Also tried again with adjust refresh rate option disable and enabled, made no difference...

I just don't understand...I do have another Pi lying around here, gonna give that one a try and see what happens. I did check the power supply as well, a nice 4.9 volts at TP1-TP2, seems to be okay.

Anything else I could try?
Tried my other Pi today, and also stuttering with this one. Also installed openelec r12196, nothing seems to make a difference...

Don't you see any stuttering? Even not in the second sample file I posted?
Can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this stuttering :S
I've got the same issue, It happens inside xbmc or on the host system. I converted a vob file to mp4 and that solves the chop. I'm running xbmc on top of 12.10 ubuntu, with a nvidia 9400gt card and 3.60 ? driver( i'm not at my computer so that is from memory). amd dc cpu, with 4gb ram.

It doesn't matter if I play a file on the hard disk or straight from the dvd. I'm thinking it's a codec thing, just a hunch from the fact that it plays fine on an mp4 file but not vob(mp2)
Okay, that probably means it is XBMC related? Because if I play it ouside XBMC it is flawless. And since you are not using a raspi but a completely different HW-config, it points into the direction of xbmc (at least in my view). I'm going to try openelec R12220 later today, but I've got a feeling that there still will be stuttering...

Edit: nope, no improvement with r12220 unfortunately...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy/Stuttering playback of MPEG2/VOB files0