Central database (or understanding XBMC direction and features implentation)
XBMC is not a media server imo, it just happens to have uPnP (kick ass at that, which can serve files.) aside from uPnP

Its would be rather bloat to have xbmc as a uPnP default server... No manufacturer will use xbmc as a default uPnP server for that reason alone.

To be a full media server XBMC would have to serve up files in smb nfs and whatever not, though you can edit the underlying Linux to do just that. (since) xbmc requires a OS to run on top its "easy" to achieve However hardcoding the servers into XBMC is not a easy task.

xbmc on a qnap.... well how qnap going to ever support the many problems that will arise, like proper audio sync, audio with avrs (i dont have one but some ppl do) and whatnot? They dont even updates their existing qpkg's its left to 3rd parties.

On a x86 qnap you can just wipe the firmware and install linux and whatever you want if it supports the hardware or not that's a whole different matter

uNi
One thing you will have to factor in when using a NAS of any make/model, be it HP's N40L, or a QNAP, Synology, D-Link, Netgear, etc, etc. is to beware of apps pushed by the manufacturer. As I've personally witnessed with both the Skifta and Orb clients on the ReadyNAS. While they may initially be supported and/or endorsed by the manufacturer, it doesn't mean to say they will be going forwards.

Nowadays, XBMC has a 10 month rotation cycle on average, so you might get at best one, or two versions provided (i.e: one initial version, and bug fixes to that version later on), before said manufacturer decides to withdraw support for that app or service. And the likelihood is, if/when that happens they won't rush to announce the fact to their paying customers.

The other issue (which I hinted at in my previous post) which makes homebrew add-ons a bit risky, is that all these devices rarely run a stock version of Linux. It's usually heavily customized to fit the usage scenario the product was intended for. So while XBMC may run fine on a vanilla Linux distro, expecting the same from a customized NAS distro may lead to dissapointment. The amount of risk to the rest of the system, and/or the amount of patching of libraries nessecary to get it to run on a NAS may be the tipping point between it working, or you losing data. Which was one of the points I tried to make (however badly) in my initial argument against dropping MySQL.

Having said that, the XBMC team have yet to make a decision that has narrowed the likely audience for the software, or reduced it's chances of becoming more entrenched as THE media centre to be using. I will however watch progress on this and hopefully come to a situation that benefits my requirements down the road. I fully support the team in their endevours, and would donate if my financial situation was in better shape. As it is, it's not possible for me to contribute in any way other than helping out on the forums, spreading the word to people I know, and giving feedback.

P.S: Happy Thanksgiving to the US folks.

Smile
I can't even run a XBMC on my HP Microserver, the GPU isn't Direct X compatible apparently. Get thrown an error when I try and load, so going to take a look at the headless version!
(2012-11-24, 10:49)RXP91 Wrote: I can't even run a XBMC on my HP Microserver, the GPU isn't Direct X compatible apparently. Get thrown an error when I try and load, so going to take a look at the headless version!

Sounds like you need to install the proper drivers.. works fine on my microserver

My main concern here is that with upnp shares we got no subtitles.
XBMC subtitles addon doesnt work either.
Sure let's all shoot the idea and implementation before its finished
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-11-25, 14:28)febox-pootz Wrote: My main concern here is that with upnp shares we got no subtitles.

In general it is true - but there is one but. Its name is BubbleUPnP Server. It isnt a fully functional server - actually it is a proxy to a real UPnP servers now here it is its latest changelog:
Quote:
  • added subtitle support (including transcoded videos)
  • fixed certain XBMC and PS3 Media Server folders not browsable (due to invalid mime-types returned by these servers)
  • fixed rare issue on UPnP device disappearance
  • fixed sometimes wrong LAN IP detected in presence of a VPN
  • OpenHome room and name can be more than 20 characters

It even would let you choose a subtitle track at least when using MX Player on Android (i do not use XBMC as client).
Quote:If that was the plan all along, then don't mind me...

That is the plan.

Some of Team XBMC use MySQL in their own HTPC setups and would also be a little ticked off if it was just suddenly replaced, and with something that didn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Central database (or understanding XBMC direction and features implentation)0