Popcorn Hour to HTPC: Build choices!
Hi Guys Smile

I'm looking to build my first HTPC. I've been lurking for a while now, taking in all of the advice I can, and have finally decided that I am going to trade up from my Popcorn Hour A210 to a HTPC.

I currently use the PCH to play all of my content, which is all stored on a NAS (that also runs sickbeard etc.) This, for the most part works fine, but XBMC offers much more flexibility. I am hoping to be able to take the load off my NAS and shift sickbeard etc onto the HTPC. I would like to include a BD-ROM at some point in the future to allow me to backup and play my Blu-Ray collection.

I am choosing between a couple of builds, and I would really appreciate any opinions that you guys might have. I have been waiting for the Ivybridge and Trinity stuff to become available and I am trying to decide between the two at the moment. I know that the ASRock board is not quite available yet, and I am leaning towards the Intel build as a result.

CPU: Intel i3 3225
Mobo: ASRock H77M-ITX

Or

CPU: AMD A6-5400K
Mobo ASRock FM2A75M-ITX

With

Memory: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600MHz
SSD: Samsung 64GB 830 Series
Case: Antec ISK 300-150

I am undecided as to whether the stock cooler will be quiet enough for my needs, so I am considering the Scythe Kozuti. I don't know if the Big Shuriken Rev. B will cause problems if I add a Blu-Ray drive in the future with the cutting that is required to fit it.

I am slightly concerned about the PSU included with the case, and would also appreciate any recommendations on where I can get a decent Pico PSU in the UK.

I have a Logitech Harmony One, but have decided to worry about the whole IR boot thing once everything is built. Both boards have a CIR header, which is a good start!
I see that you seen my build.... Blush

You can first see if you like the stock cooler. The 300-150 case the PSU included will work but a big cooler there is no way to fit it it because of the PSU power plug in it....

If you wan't to save money you can try the stock cooler and psu.

It is up to you if you want AMD or Intel....

I would say AMD since my A6-3500 has been good to me....

Why not a A6-3500? if all you need it for is HTPC...

but question is what you plan to do? games?

Big Grin

You can wait on the FM2 board... there is really so many choices.... just get what you really want.

The intel you wan't is really good from what I hear....

(2012-10-16, 20:58)low-def Wrote: CPU: AMD A6-5400K
Mobo ASRock FM2A75M-ITX
I like the i3-3225 spec, but I like the price of A6-5400K. For HTPC, A6-5400K got my vote.....the AMD Radeon HD 7540D in it should be able to handle everything.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Beer, I have indeed seen your build Smile

Previously I have never been a fan (if you will excuse the terrible pun) of stock coolers, but I like the idea of a silent HTPC. If the stock cooler isn't up to it, It's not a huge problem. The Blu-Ray drive is on the 'nice, but not essential' list, so I could get away with your arrangement, removing the upper bracket entirely, installing the Big Shuriken with a Pico PSU and mounting the SSD on the bottom of the case.

My usage for the most part would be streaming video and audio, running sickbeard, sabnzb etc. and maybe some light game emulation. So nothing too fancy in HTPC terms. I have a dedicated receiver for audio decoding, and from what I have read, bitstreaming is no issue for most suggested hardware combinations on this forum.

There isn't a huge difference in price between the A6-3500 build and the A6-5400, It's just waiting for the board to become available for the newer stuff.

bluray, you are right, the price difference between the AMD and Intel chip is pretty big. In terms of cost, AMD is the way to go. Looking at how they stack up, I am not sure the i3 justifies the premium, even if it is slightly more efficient. I will admit now, that I do get drawn to the latest and greatest hardware, and the Intel HD4000 stuff looks pretty tempting...

In terms of future proofing, are there any obvious concerns going down the A6-3500 route?

Are there any other recommended mini ITX boards suitable for the A6-5400 available now?
A6-3500 should be fine, but for extreme future proofing i3-3225 would be better (cpu power is insane, so if needed you could make a gamer by just adding a gpu).
ITX isn't expected for fm2 before the end of the year as far as I know.
I've decided to go the Intel route. Partly personal preference and partly for the future proofing side of things. Plus the availability of the FM2 ITX boards is anyone's guess at the moment.

This is the final spec I've decided on:

Memory: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600MHz
Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken Rev. B

Pretty much ready to order it all Smile

The only sticking point is the PSU. I would like get a Pico PSU and I could use some recommendations.

I think a 120W PSU will be adequate, but having always bought ATX PSUs for desktop systems I'd appreciate some advice Smile

I've been looking at the 120W wide input pico PSU from here. Edit: Although it doesn't appear to have the P4 power connector...
(2012-10-16, 22:00)low-def Wrote: In terms of future proofing, are there any obvious concerns going down the A6-3500 route?
If you are looking for long term, FM1 is EOL...it's not the best choice....

(2012-10-16, 22:00)low-def Wrote: Are there any other recommended mini ITX boards suitable for the A6-5400 available now?
AMD FM2 socket is brand new (just released this month)......the first Mini-ITX on the market is "ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX".....more will follow very soon....

Intel socket 1155 is due for replacement too....

(2012-10-17, 21:48)low-def Wrote: The only sticking point is the PSU. I would like get a Pico PSU and I could use some recommendations.

I think a 120W PSU will be adequate, but having always bought ATX PSUs for desktop systems I'd appreciate some advice Smile

I've been looking at the 120W wide input pico PSU from here. Edit: Although it doesn't appear to have the P4 power connector...

The 120-WI-25 is a great product. I like to pair it with this AC adapter: Anker® New Laptop AC Adapter/Charger + Power Supply Cord 19V 6.3A 120W 5.5*2.5mm

For splitters and adapters (like a molex-to-P4 adapter) Monoprice has it all: P4 to ATX Power Supply Adaptor and more.
Thanks for the advice Smile

I'm currently looking at this in combination with a molex to P4 adaptor. Any thoughts?

Am I right in thinking I don't need the wide input model if the wattage is matched between the pico PSU and the power brick?

I found this review which gives idle/benchmark power consumption figures for a variety of Intel CPUs, for those also looking at PSU related stats:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3169/22/...ebench-115

I'm pretty settled on the spec now, I've changed the memory for some Kingston HyperX due to concerns about the height of the XMS3 heat spreaders and the Big Shuriken.

I *think* I'm almost ready to order!

The advantage of the wide version is that with a 19V adapter you can get 120W at 6.3A. The picoPSU power jack harness has a max rating of 8A. With 12V you need 10A to get 120W. As long as you don't exceed 96W for any length of time, the 12V version should be fine. With your configuration you'd likely max out well under that so it should be no issue. For reference, my i3-2100 system at full load draws under 80W.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense! As you have said, the system should be well under 120W so I can't see it pulling enough current to melt anything, but it never hurts to have a little headroom, So the wide input version might be the way to go. There isn't a massive difference in cost, considering the flexibility it will give.

So the spec is this as it stands:

Memory: Kingston Memory HyperX Genesis Grey Dual Channel Kit 8GB (2x 4GB) 1600MHz
Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken Rev. B
PSU: Minibox 120W WI Pico PSU
AC Adaptor: Toshiba Replacement 6.3A 19V AC Adaptor

Hopefully, providing there are not major issues with any of the above, I can get it all ordered and built next week Smile
You shouldn't have any issue, and you'll enjoy it.....
All ordered. Looking forward to putting it all together!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll update once I get all the parts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Popcorn Hour to HTPC: Build choices!0