Solved File name issue (file names containing a comma will not play)
I have a couple of files that scrape OK but wont play. Renaming then re-scraping fixes the problem. The issue seems to be if the filename has a comma in it. Is this really an issue or am I missing something? I'd like to keep the filenames the way I have them which is

<series_name>.sXXeXX.<episode_name>

using the titles as they ahould be and keeping movies with the correct title rather than having to rename them to allow playback.

Is there anything I can do to stop commas being a problem? If not, can someone please at least explain why they cause a problem that cannot be fixed?

Thanks

Using XBMC 11 (stable build) for Windows on a machine running Windows 7 (64 bit) - not able to test other operating systems I'm afraid
I note you didn't give a comma example... but XBMC scrapers for the most part use Internet database web sites, and are mostly at the mercy of the naming convention of that site... and if commas are not in the database file,, then manually scraping you'll get a close approximation offered, auto mode is a bit more fussy.
Thanks for the reply but you misunderstand me

All the files scrape perfectly...they will not PLAY if they contain a comma

eg

X:\TV\Coupling\Series 1\Coupling.s01e03.Sex, Death And Nudity.avi

will NOT play.

If I rename it

X:\TV\Coupling\Series 1\Coupling.s01e03.Sex Death And Nudity.avi (comma removed between Sex and Death)

it WILL play

It scrapes fine in both forms but I have thousands of files. I do not want to have to go through and find all those with a comma (would have to be done manually as far as I can see, searching for a comma leads to a list of ALL files) and rename loads of them. The same thing happens with films

I haven't tried it with music yet but that would be a gargantuan task as I have about 120GB of Music (many thousands of files)
Just tried playing a music file with commas and it plays fine...tried another 5 video files with commas, none of them play
Please enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC and attempt to play a video with a comma in its filename. When nothing happens, exit XBMC immediately and locate the debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log). Examine the log to see if there's any indication as to why playback of this file failed. If you'd like other community members to review the file as well, upload the contents of your entire debug log (wiki) to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post the URL link to your uploaded log here with your reply.
(2012-10-17, 07:44)artrafael Wrote: Please enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC and attempt to play a video with a comma in its filename. When nothing happens, exit XBMC immediately and locate the debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log). Examine the log to see if there's any indication as to why playback of this file failed. If you'd like other community members to review the file as well, upload the contents of your entire debug log (wiki) to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post the URL link to your uploaded log here with your reply.

Thanks for replying atrafael

I did what you said and looked at the log but it didn't help me that much...hopefully someone else may be able to make more sense of it

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=10805

Thanks to everyone who even takes a look to try to help me
Quote:
Code:
07:17:31 T:4112   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating PlayMedia($INFO[ListItem.FileNameAndPath])
This is the problem right here. The skin you're using should be using $ESCINFO in PlayMedia, not $INFO.

You should probably point it out in the relevant skin sub-forum.
Excellent...will do.

Any way I can change this manually myself too? I assume it will be in one (or more) of the XML files. I am happy to edit my copy while waiting for the skin developer to update the master version if anyone can tell me which file. I'll have a search around and try too

Thanks everyone

edit..never mind...found it and managed to fix it...will post a more detailed explanation on how to fix it in the skins thread

Here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1215921

Thanks again everyone for your help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File name issue (file names containing a comma will not play)0