Best remote that doesn't conflict with MCE
I want to run XBMC/Linux along side MCE concurrently, for a multitude of reasons. I want to make sure that whatever remote I use for XBMC that it does not conflict with MCE. I have a Harmony so I can emulate any remote that I want. I also want simplicity so if there's a known remote so I don't need to do a bunch of manual IR code generation and keyboard mapping on my own I would prefer that option. I tried finding a simple guide but my Google-foo isn't working for me lately. Apologies if it's right there and I just botched on the search terms.

Seriously looking forward to becoming a new XBMC user...
You could always get a USB Bluetooth dongle (if your machine doesn't have BT onbard) and use a Wii remote. The control with the Wii remote is very minimalistic and works very well, IMO.

If you decide to go that route, and need some help with setting it up, just post back.
I gotta admit, I did NOT see that one coming! I had no clue you could use a Wii remote for anything but a Wii. Craziness.

I would prefer to use a single Harmony for everything.
Try adding a keyboard as a device on your harmony and use that for xbmc ?
ynwa
(2012-10-18, 20:37)gekados Wrote: Try adding a keyboard as a device on your harmony and use that for xbmc ?

Would Windows/MCE see those IR codes as a keyboard as well?
(2012-10-18, 23:32)scottlindner Wrote:
(2012-10-18, 20:37)gekados Wrote: Try adding a keyboard as a device on your harmony and use that for xbmc ?

Would Windows/MCE see those IR codes as a keyboard as well?

Probably, yes.
But you could remap everything in keyboard.xml to avoid conflicts.
ynwa
(2012-10-19, 10:53)gekados Wrote: Probably, yes.
But you could remap everything in keyboard.xml to avoid conflicts.

Isn't keyboard.xml an XBMC thing? If so, wouldn't the IR codes for the keyboard still cause me troubles with the MCE box? I think this is going to come down to the IR codes causing me grief with the MCE box. What I'm hoping to find is a remote that is fully functional for XBMC that Windows or MCE isn't going to recognize at all. Hopefully without having to randomly making up IR codes which is a PITA to maintain.

Most of the guides that I have found talk about using MCE remotes, which won't work for me. I can just make up IR codes and do it that way. I did that nine years ago and it was a royal PITA. I have no interest in doing that again unless I absolutely have to to avoid the problem of my actions on XBMC/Linux causing me grief on my MCE/Windows box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best remote that doesn't conflict with MCE0