OS X Warning Low Memory - all the time
So I'm running Eden with xTV skin on a 2011 i5 Mac mini with 4gb RAM. The only other thing that is running is EyeTV.
Ever since I first installed xbmc I've been getting this low memory error. Not every time, but almost every time. IT doesn't seem to affect operation though.

I've got two debug logs - the first one I hadn't yet got the low memory error:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=10866

The second one I got the error straight away, and then turned on debugging:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=10867

I have already tried re-downloading xbmc and reinstalling. Didn't help at all.

Any help appreciated!

EDIT: further info. Mac is 2.3Ghz i5 Intel HD 3000 Graphics with 384Mb
XBMC is v11 (Git 20120321-14feb09 compiled mar22 2012
Still getting this message, every time I use XBMC.
Anyone got any ideas?
Please post a picture with the low mem error (not sure what this even is - is the error in xbmc? or in osx itself?)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
It's an XBMC error.
Here's a screengrab: Image

I checked Activity Monitor and it's free memory matches the amount that XBMC reports - however there is a bunch of inactive memory available.
Perhaps this is something to do with a new way of reporting memory in Mountain Lion?
(2012-10-24, 04:54)FriendlyG Wrote: It's an XBMC error.
Here's a screengrab: /snip

I checked Activity Monitor and it's free memory matches the amount that XBMC reports - however there is a bunch of inactive memory available.
Perhaps this is something to do with a new way of reporting memory in Mountain Lion?
FriendlyG,

Well that is my skin, what version of the skin are you running? First of all it's the skin displaying the error, not XBMC as such. You should only see that message when you get down to 10% of you memory available (it was something I included in the skin for the XBox and saw no good reason to drop it for main build of XBMC). Looking at the log files you get nowhere near 75M free, so I don't see any reason why it should have triggered. So how much memory do you have to start with (total system memory) and how much do you have when you see the message?

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Hey Wyrm! Thanks for helping me with this.

Well those logs and that screengrab are from separate times, so they won't match up.
I just checked again - the skin was saying 34Mb free, and Activity Monitor also says 34Mb free. However, it also says 1.5Gb inactive - which as I understand it in Mountain Lion is free memory with closed apps stuff still there for if you reopen it. But should still be available to use if a running app needs it. I could be wrong.

I'm using v1.2.1 of your skin. I assume it's the latest. I'm on 11 XBMC.
I have 4Gb RAM in this mini.

The only thing that I noticed in Activity Monitor was a couple of instances of Python running - one of which was using 250Mb - but I assume that isn't unusual and either has something to do with XBMC, EyeTV, Remote Buddy, or Plex (which I've only just started to look at - after getting this error). These are pretty much the only things that run on this mac.
(2012-10-24, 08:44)FriendlyG Wrote: Hey Wyrm! Thanks for helping me with this.

Well those logs and that screengrab are from separate times, so they won't match up.
I just checked again - the skin was saying 34Mb free, and Activity Monitor also says 34Mb free. However, it also says 1.5Gb inactive - which as I understand it in Mountain Lion is free memory with closed apps stuff still there for if you reopen it. But should still be available to use if a running app needs it. I could be wrong.
Well from that I would have to say it really is not an issue with the skin, its doing as it is meant to. Problem is with how either Mountain Lion is reporting free memory or how XBMC is dealing with what is reported. I dare say in that case if you unload some of that 1.5Gb, issue will go away. Sorry don't talk Mac, so you will need to find out how that works yourself.
Quote:I'm using v1.2.1 of your skin. I assume it's the latest. I'm on 11 XBMC.
I have 4Gb RAM in this mini.

The only thing that I noticed in Activity Monitor was a couple of instances of Python running - one of which was using 250Mb - but I assume that isn't unusual and either has something to do with XBMC, EyeTV, Remote Buddy, or Plex (which I've only just started to look at - after getting this error). These are pretty much the only things that run on this mac.
v1.2.1 is the latest official version of the skin, currently trying to work on v1.2.2 (available in Passion repo). While I might up the percentage before the warning displays (95% maybe), really if you are using that much memory you are just about to start some heavy swapping (and everything will start running very s l o w l y ). You can if you like remove the warning (although you will need to modify the skin every time you update). Change the following code (about line 369) in includes.xml file in the skins 720p directory (you need to figure out where that is)

PHP Code:
    <!-- Begin Low free memory include -->
    <include 
name="memory-low">
        <
control type="label">
            <
description>low free memory label</description>
            <
posx>354</posx>
            <
posy>75</posy>
            <
width>566</width>
            <
height>37</height>
            <
align>center</align>
            <
aligny>center</aligny>
            <
font>font18</font>
            <
textcolor>warning-text</textcolor>
            <
shadowcolor>shadow-text</shadowcolor>
            <
label>[B]$LOCALIZE[31572][/B$INFO[System.FreeMemory]</label>
            <
visible>IntegerGreaterThan(system.memory(used.percent),90)</visible>
        </
control>
    </include> 
Either comment out the code between the <include> tags or change
PHP Code:
<visible>IntegerGreaterThan(system.memory(used.percent),90)</visible>

to

<visible>false</visible

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Sweet - thanks for the help. That at least narrows the issue down.
I can't believe I'm the only one running mountain lion with this skin!

I believe the memory is essentially free, but the OS will make a decision to give it to any app that requests more.
Am I seriously the only one getting this issue?
yep
Wow thanks davilla.
There's no issue left here. The skin has a check for low memory that gets a false positive trigger, and then it pops up a warning. Now that you see how to disable the warning, which is incorrect, what is left?

Most skins don't check for low memory.
But is it a false warning? Or does XBMC not yet work with mountain lion's new free/inactive memory terminology?

I have had a couple of crashes with xbmc and I'm not sure whether its coincidental that it was when it was showing less than 20 meg free or wether there is an actual memory management issue here.
Most modern operating systems will allow processes to consume mem. they will free it when required so don't worry about trying to keep N-MBs free. The OS will take care of itself. The low mem warning is an XBox-isum.
OK cool. That puts my mind at ease.
Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning Low Memory - all the time0