Please advise which OSX to use
Not letting the system sleep would solve most issues, no handshaking issues, since the system would be always on and of course no sleeping issues Smile
But I just won't let the system running 24/7 for the limited time I am using it, it just doesn't feel right and also I am bit worried what if something is crashing and is causing massive CPU loads.

So currently I just turning it off and on when I needed, and its damn shame Apple didn't implement a proper WOL function (I mean when its turned off and not sleeping), or doesn't provide a feature to auto power on so I can switch it with my main power outlet.
mli777 I am not sure my solution fits your situation, but I too had problems putting my Mac 2011 to sleep (Lion preinstalled). I tried several solutions but ultimately settled on flirc in combination with a Harmony remote. For my solution see the flirc forum: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/2...msearch__1
(2012-10-22, 15:39)mll777 Wrote: Not letting the system sleep would solve most issues, no handshaking issues, since the system would be always on and of course no sleeping issues Smile
But I just won't let the system running 24/7 for the limited time I am using it, it just doesn't feel right and also I am bit worried what if something is crashing and is causing massive CPU loads.

So currently I just turning it off and on when I needed, and its damn shame Apple didn't implement a proper WOL function (I mean when its turned off and not sleeping), or doesn't provide a feature to auto power on so I can switch it with my main power outlet.

There are a handful of utilities out there that can notify you when there are potential cpu issues. Some that come to mind are Lingon, istatmenus etc. You can set these up with growl notifications and using prowl to your iphone etc. Also a giveaway of a cpu issue can be the (excessive) sound of the fans.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mac Mini 2009 with OSX 10.8.1 and a perfect setup

Setup:
mac mini 2009 4GB RAM and NVIDIA 9500
Logitech Harmony One set in XBMC to Harmomy
Panasonic plasma connect to HDMI via mini display port
XBMC is frodo due to new audioengine unable to gapless play music

Sound is optical out to DAC to reciever 2.0 set in OSX and XBMC

No powermanagement, only to standby at 23:00 an night
Files are on a NAS which turns off at 23:00 and turns on at 19:00, all connected through NFS shares

Mini is woken up through harmony once a day

Plays all scenes and bluray rips fine at 24 hz, 50hz and 60hx throught auto refresh rate adjust never any dropped frames

Reboot once a month or so for updates and because XBMC hangs due to failty subtitle addin

All in all a perfect setup with xbmc, and works without a hitch.

EDIT: I use Candelair to stop itunes and osx to take over/steal volume controles from XBMC, which is free software btw
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
(2012-10-25, 23:02)jopie Wrote: mli777 I am not sure my solution fits your situation, but I too had problems putting my Mac 2011 to sleep (Lion preinstalled). I tried several solutions but ultimately settled on flirc in combination with a Harmony remote. For my solution see the flirc forum: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/2...msearch__1

Tanks for your suggestion, I am aware of this solution, and will keep it in my mind
[quote='activate' pid='1222755' dateline='1351204972']
Quote:There are a handful of utilities out there that can notify you when there are potential cpu issues. Some that come to mind are Lingon, istatmenus etc. You can set these up with growl notifications and using prowl to your iphone etc. Also a giveaway of a cpu issue can be the (excessive) sound of the fans.

Thanks man, I wasn't aware of prowl that sounds really cool and useful I will definitely look into this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please advise which OSX to use0