NzbDrone...an Alternative to Sickbeard
i've had trouble with many of those nzb search engines on sickbeard. i've asked them to add binsearch.info, but all i've gotten is silence. is there any reason why we cant just have that search engine added, even on nzbdrone? they always have what the others dont. not sure why it wasnt included.
what troubles could you be having that would need you to have binsearch when there is all those other choices of search engines in NZBDrone and/or SB. I have been using SB for a long time and never had issues finding what i needed.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
(2012-11-06, 07:48)saitoh183 Wrote: what troubles could you be having that would need you to have binsearch when there is all those other choices of search engines in NZBDrone and/or SB. I have been using SB for a long time and never had issues finding what i needed.

well, the fact that they are all paid services now that the SB indexer (the only free one left) is offline. its just not worth paying more for indexing sites, usenet provider, etc. than what a cable dvr can do for less, not to mention that it is very inconsistent and skips episodes whenever it wants, unlike a cable dvr.
(2012-11-06, 09:07)albundyhere Wrote:
(2012-11-06, 07:48)saitoh183 Wrote: what troubles could you be having that would need you to have binsearch when there is all those other choices of search engines in NZBDrone and/or SB. I have been using SB for a long time and never had issues finding what i needed.

well, the fact that they are all paid services now that the SB indexer (the only free one left) is offline. its just not worth paying more for indexing sites, usenet provider, etc. than what a cable dvr can do for less, not to mention that it is very inconsistent and skips episodes whenever it wants, unlike a cable dvr.

Well NZBDrone can use NZBclub and NZBindex which are 2 free indexer. NZBmatrix & Dognzb.cr is only 10$ 1 time payment which isnt very expensive considering its a 1 time fee. NZBmatrix can still be used without paying if there api limit suit your needs. As for inconsistent, that has never happened to me with Drone so far but has happened with SB sometimes in the past but no program is perfect and we shouldnt expect them to be.

(2012-11-06, 09:07)albundyhere Wrote:

sorry, i just had to highlight this part and have a good chuckle (not meant to offend)

My cableco dvr was so unreliable that I had to have a manual spreadsheet to track which shows should have recorded that night to determine which ones got skipped randomly. I also had a ton of cases where the show would stop recording in the middle for no reason.

I will grant you that SB (and probably NZBDrone) have similar problems, but for me, i have at least a 98% success rate with getting the shows I want. In terms of expense for the indexers, i use nzbs.org (luckily I joined before they closed) as well as dognzb (upgraded to vip when I though nzbs was going to close). Honestly, for $96/year for usenet access, and a 1 time $10 fee to dognzbs, I made up my cost in under a year (i've been using this setup more or less for 3 or 4 years).

That being said, to each his own, so I don't judge. If you can't justify the cost, then don't upgrade, and don't apologize for it. Hopefully a solution presents itself to you (not trying to be sarcastic).
dognzb is now closed... Shame, wanted to try it outSad
.Net is a bit of a fail tho :/
(2012-11-12, 12:34)dandandandan Wrote: .Net is a bit of a fail tho :/

why is it failed?

Runs only on a very limited amout of platforms. And on almost no serverplatforms.
Well his is focus on Window users so its not really failed. its like saying that the Media manager program on Mac is failed because it was built for Mac users. Sickbeard is there for the other platforms.
(2012-10-29, 01:24)markus101 Wrote:
(2012-10-28, 00:35)thezoggy Wrote: you forgot that nzbdrone only works on windows (and requires full .net 4 framework installed). while sickbeard will work on any os that can run python 2.x (then there is also the compiled osx app/win exe).
if you have used sickbeard (b497 / master ~2 months ago) we switched over to getting zips (instead of xml) from tvdb its made things much quicker. (adding the daily show went from ~20 mins to ~1 min as the worst case scenario)

Yes, at the moment, its Windows only, but support for systems running mono is in the backlog. As a comparison it takes about 20 seconds to load The Daily Show from TheTVDB as zip is also used. Glad to see those times in SB dropping, that was one of the biggest reasons for NzbDrone being created.

As you can see here the Dev says that mono support will come so yes it might be limited but thats not a reason for it to be failed.

The design decision that led to choosing .net is an obvious fail if you want to reach a broader audience.
Mono is well, its mono. Daemons like this are usually run on servers, NASes, htpcs and those usually run on !=windows for obvious reasons.
Loading up the whole bloated .net framework or the semi compatible mono framework just for one daemon is not something everyone wants to do, especially on smaller devices.
While i applaud the devs for coming up with an alternative to sickbeard with its many shortcomings its sad to see that its unusable for the majority of platforms and therefor never be a serious alternative to sickbeard.
I can only hope that the devs rethink their choice.

Maybe the thread should be in a windows specific subforum Wink
Most windows users have .net installed on there systems (im talking about the average user) because of windows update and such. So its not like you have to go and install .net before using it. There is no sub forum for Windows for general discussion. As for being a serious alternative, that will depend on what future functionality it brings down the line to separate itself from Sickbeard. Like for example, if it can do a better job of handling anime, that will be a plus over SB since SB anime folk isnt really very reliable for finding and renaming anime. If people like the product they will find a way to use the product. Smile

Majority of sickbeards do not run on windows tho....
I would like to try it out very much, but i cant :/
I'm a .NET developer...

You don't "load up all of the .NET framework". Your app only loads the libraries it needs to. Python does the same thing.
Mono is almost 100% compatible with .NET up to 4.0, especially with server-side non-gui apps.
Mono is supported on more or less every available platform out there, including the Wii and the PS3 Wink http://www.mono-project.com/Supported_Platforms

That said, I'm running sickbeard on my W8-server and I'm very happy with it. Running the precompiled is very easy, but getting the source to work isn't especially hard either.
We chose .Net because we're both .Net developers (shocking decision). The idea behind NzbDrone has always been performance, when previously using SB (myself very little) performance was a big issue. Of course we knew using .Net was limiting, but that didn't stop us from using it, because we knew we could do what we wanted with the limited audience to start and expand to using mono if people wanted that.

Sounds like there are some people that would run it under mono, some people that will continue on Windows and some people that hate .Net so they don't care either way, to each his/her own. The argument that Linux is for servers is a little off base, IMO, I run a windows server at home and manage a large number of them in my day to day work, I really don't think one is better than the other for everything, each has its strengths and weaknesses and really is a Mac vs PC argument.

To those of you that are running NzbDrone - we hope you like it, to those that haven't tried it yet - please do Big Grin, to those that did and didn't like it - we would love your feedback and to those that never want to run it - that's okay too, we'll survive.

EDIT: Early post, sorry!
XBMC-Livingroom:
Zotac IONITX-A|4GB RAM|20GB 2.5" HDD|Windows 7 Ulitmate|Video/Audio: HDMI to 1080P Samsung LNT4669
XBMC-Bedroom:
HP A1420N|1GB RAM|200GB HDD|Windows 7 Ultimate|Radeon 24000HD|Video: DVI to HDMI on Samsung 720P TV|Audio: Over Analog to TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NzbDrone...an Alternative to Sickbeard1