NzbDrone...an Alternative to Sickbeard
(2012-11-28, 03:31)markus101 Wrote: We chose .Net because we're both .Net developers (shocking decision). The idea behind NzbDrone has always been performance, when previously using SB (myself very little) performance was a big issue. Of course we knew using .Net was limiting, but that didn't stop us from using it, because we knew we could do what we wanted with the limited audience to start and expand to using mono if people wanted that.

Sounds like there are some people that would run it under mono, some people that will continue on Windows and some people that hate .Net so they don't care either way, to each his/her own. The argument that Linux is for servers is a little off base, IMO, I run a windows server at home and manage a large number of them in my day to day work, I really don't think one is better than the other for everything, each has its strengths and weaknesses and really is a Mac vs PC argument.

To those of you that are running NzbDrone - we hope you like it, to those that haven't tried it yet - please do Big Grin, to those that did and didn't like it - we would love your feedback and to those that never want to run it - that's okay too, we'll survive.

EDIT: Early post, sorry!

Well said sir Big Grin

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
Does NzbDrone have the same issues with series like American Dad that Sickbeard has, due to the difference in release names vs TVDB / IMDB etc?

I find it very frustrating that these shows are all wrong in XBMC due to the misalignment between the release names.

Supposed 'quick fixes' have been tried, but its not exactly plug and play and not built into the latest sickbeard release.

http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3258

If NzbDrone can get around this issue I for one will be taking it up, and donating!
(2013-01-05, 18:01)t2ffn Wrote: Does NzbDrone have the same issues with series like American Dad that Sickbeard has, due to the difference in release names vs TVDB / IMDB etc?

I find it very frustrating that these shows are all wrong in XBMC due to the misalignment between the release names.

Supposed 'quick fixes' have been tried, but its not exactly plug and play and not built into the latest sickbeard release.

http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3258

If NzbDrone can get around this issue I for one will be taking it up, and donating!

Like SB, NZBDrone uses XEM to help with this type of issue so it should work

Any plans to ever make this for Linux? I have seen .NET programs run under Mono.
Is nzbdrone able to create thumbnails automatically like sickbeard becuase I can't find the settings anywhere?

edit: I think I fixed it by allowing the prog in firewall...
Hi,

Just wannted to let you guys know, we just relaesed nzbdrone v2, which was written almost entirely from ground up, with brand new UI and tons of new features,

also, linux/osx support coming very soon.

Some screenshots : http://www.clipular.com/users/4892153/bo...rone-vnext

Download: http://www.nzbdrone.com
linux version is out
Smile
I stumbled across this and figured i would check it out. Just a quick note... when you go to the site to download the program, there is NO info. If i go to the forum I can't find any info on how to install, if I go to the FAQ section, there is still no info on how to install. I have the Windows version. I don't know if I am to extract to the directory I want the program to reside in, or simply install from here it is. I see 4 applications in the folder and have no idea what one to click to install. I tried "service install" first and it did a bunch of stuff and then said it was running but did nothing else. No GUI popped up. I clicked "NZB Drone" app and a browser window opened up. I closed it and then clicked the app again and got an epic fail because the program is already running. But I can't see it. I mean, I think after tinkering a bit, I may have it working now, but some "how to install" instructions might be nice? maybe an explanation of why there are 4 applications and what each one does? Do I need to click them all? lol I installed and uninstalled the "Service Install" and it does not seem to do anything.
(2013-10-23, 06:49)tommymsw Wrote: I stumbled across this and figured i would check it out. Just a quick note... when you go to the site to download the program, there is NO info. If i go to the forum I can't find any info on how to install, if I go to the FAQ section, there is still no info on how to install. I have the Windows version. I don't know if I am to extract to the directory I want the program to reside in, or simply install from here it is. I see 4 applications in the folder and have no idea what one to click to install. I tried "service install" first and it did a bunch of stuff and then said it was running but did nothing else. No GUI popped up. I clicked "NZB Drone" app and a browser window opened up. I closed it and then clicked the app again and got an epic fail because the program is already running. But I can't see it. I mean, I think after tinkering a bit, I may have it working now, but some "how to install" instructions might be nice? maybe an explanation of why there are 4 applications and what each one does? Do I need to click them all? lol I installed and uninstalled the "Service Install" and it does not seem to do anything.

The installations isnt rocket science. You extract the folder. Then you have 2 choices, run the program as a services or run it from the exe. If you dont know the difference.. installing the services means that when windows starts the programs will start and run in the background (this is the best when to run the program) . If you just click on the exe it will run and place a icon in the taskbar area but you will have to manually start the program each time windows is restarted (unless you put it in startup which would be pointless since there is a service installation). You can installed as service and run the exe...its either or...unless you stop the service and then run the exe.As for GUI poping up, its a web base program so there is no GUI but you can set in the settings section for it to automatically start the web browser when using the exe. (as a service, you dont want this option on or else you will have a web browser window running in the background as soon as the service is started). As for how the program works itselt, that isnt hard to figure out. By any chance, did you ask your questions on the forum or connect to the irc chat and ask. (IRC is a great place for info if you are patient and willing to wait till someone answers Smile )

I know it's not rocket science. As I said, I figured it out. It's just usually a program has install instructions at least in the FAQ section. With 4 .exe files in the folder, one may have some questions. MOST windows programs you install do not need to have the folder extracted to the install directory first, while others do, this would be good to know to start with. you Also, a bunch of us are likely used to SB, when you install SB the first time, the GUI automatically opens and walks you through a setup process. This makes setup much more automated and you then have options to have the program start with an open browser window or even start with windows. (You asked for feedback). I did go to the forums and looked for "install instructions" or "setup instructions" and I looked at the FAQ section. I could find none. And give the light that many people will be switching from SD to this program, a quick couple paragraph setup instructions may be nice? For example, in SB, if you want certain shows from a season, you simply check off "wanted" or "skip". I am not sure how to do this in NzbDrone. I can see you can toggle "monitored" status but I'm not sure what that means? They all say "monitored", does that mean it is going to download all the past shows as it would in SB? because it did not. So far, I have to manually search each episode individually to download them, It does not appear to be automated? But this could be because I am used to the SB interface and don't know how to do this here yet?

At any rate, so far I am a big fan for one reason alone. IT WORKS! It works where SB fails for me. I added Pawn Stars and it actually finds the shows. Something SB can not do. And function far outweighs form for me. Smile I also think it is flashier and I like flashy. Until I get the hang of it, i will only use it for the shows SB fails at... But I can see me making the total move.

Oh... it also does not seem to scrape the shows after download and I don't like that. It renames them, but does not add any metadata. That could end up being the deal breaker if I can't figure that part out. I loked at EVERY possible "setting" and I just don't see it.
I installed this yesterday and am so happy with it that I've now added all my shows and disabled SickBeard. It puts SB to shame with functionality and has a beautiful clean interface with artwork. I can see the masses dropping SB for it. I expect the Android app support to follow, maybe even Trakt integration since it uses their artwork.
Trying this myself. So far, so good. Now if I could only figure out how to exit the program!
YOYIZDERZOMENEMOHOZEZAZEZDENDERIZHOZEZ
(2013-11-08, 20:55)bobrap Wrote: Trying this myself. So far, so good. Now if I could only figure out how to exit the program!

Why would you want to exit? Do you mean shut it down? If you installed it as a service , then stopping the service will close the program.

(2013-11-08, 21:43)saitoh183 Wrote:
(2013-11-08, 20:55)bobrap Wrote: Trying this myself. So far, so good. Now if I could only figure out how to exit the program!

Why would you want to exit? Do you mean shut it down? If you installed it as a service , then stopping the service will close the program.

Yes, shut it down. I'm not running as a service right now.
YOYIZDERZOMENEMOHOZEZAZEZDENDERIZHOZEZ
(2013-11-09, 18:26)bobrap Wrote:
(2013-11-08, 21:43)saitoh183 Wrote:

Yes, shut it down. I'm not running as a service right now.

then all you need to do is close the program with the icon thats in the taskbar area (next to time)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NzbDrone...an Alternative to Sickbeard1