Pandora's Box - My first unraid server [with pics!]
Hey guys,

i decided to build an unraid server over the weekend cause i was sick and tired of my NAS being unable to spin down, and lacking space.

So here are the specs:
CPU: i3 3220
Mobo: ASUS P8h77-i
PSU ; Seasonic M1211520 Modular 520w
ram: corsair vengeance low profile (4 x2 gb)
case: Lian Li PC-Q18
HDD: Western Digital Red (3 tb x 3)
Cache drive : Crucial M4 (128gb)

so anyway, im in the process of pre-clearing all the drives before putting them into array.

what are acceptable temperatures for a hdd, in a server thats going to be on 24/7?

im getting about 32 degrees celcius in my hdds, and wondering if i should change the stock case fans to bring the temperatures down further.

btw, is it a bad idea to pre-clear an ssd for cache drive? i read somewhere that ssds have a rather short lifespan in terms of reads and writes??

ps. to anyone whos looking to build an unraid server, its not that hard if you follow the instructions! i used this thread and everything worked flawlessly

You got a lot of horse power there!

32 degrees is fine. I wouldn't worry about that. Only be concerned if they get to 40 or higher.

"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Actually 32-35 degrees is just about perfect in my book so I think you are in good shape. Just verify that they don't spike during a parity check and you'll be fine.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Very nice... that is a pretty penny.

I get 30- 36 c on most of my HD's when using them. I have an older EADS in there that gets to 40c also while watching a video from it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pandora's Box - My first unraid server [with pics!]0