• 1(current)
A6-PACK 4Trinity ~ ISK300-120 picoPSU HTPC A6-5400K
Brick 
I'm pretty sure the one and only A6-PACK from Beer40oz is already known by any single members of this awesome XBMC community. The moment I end up reading pretty much his whole 104 pages thread I fell in love and reordered my priorities on my todo, switching back the famous "HTPC" on top of the list. Before I switch to the main subject. I would really like to thank Beer40oz, Eskro, bluray and Dougie Fresh for all their already-so-nice contributions and patience for me.

*******************************************************************************************************

Not only the plan was to build my HTPC but also to drop the cable company.
0. Buy and Setup a NAS: Done (Synology DS1512+)
1. Drop Residential phone: Done [-27$]
2. Internet swap from Videotron to ElectronicBox: Done (from 8mb/s / 50Go bandwith [45$] TO 10mb/s / 100Go [31$])
3. Buy HDTV antenna: Done (CM4228HD)
4. Buy tv tuner (HDHomerun 3 Dual tv-tuner): Done
5. Drop TV provider (Videotron): Target, end of next week [-~40$]
6. Build HTPC and setup XBMC with LiveTV/PVR/ROM Emulator and MP3/MOVIES/TV-SERIES from NAS: In progress

So, here's what the build of my first HTPC will look like.
Antec ISK 300-65 [39.99$]
ASRock FM2A75M-ITX [99.99$]
AMD A6-5400K [64.60$]
OCZ Vertex 4 64GB [69.99$]
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 2X4GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 1.5V [50.26$]
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 REV.B [37$]
pico120W [53$]
P4 to 4 pin Power cable [2.95$]

I expect to be around 450$ total (taxes and shipping and custom clearance included)

Still unsure about which XBMC to install on it.
Win7/XBMC
Win8/XBMC
XBMCBuntu
OpenElec2

Well, that's it for now. I will update this post with lots of content and media through the following weeks.
And on a final note. ¤All credits come to Beer for his hard work and experiments¤

Cheers! Laugh
(2012-10-20, 03:36)Xexiz Wrote: 1. Buy and Setup a NAS: Done (Synology DS1512+)

2. So, here's what the build of my first HTPC will look like.

3. Still unsure about which XBMC to install on it.
1. You have epic storage needs. Digital hoarding are we? Laugh

2. Don't forget $20 S/H... makes it $60. Any particular reason you're choosing the discontinued ISK 300-65 over the ISK 300-150?

3. If I was doing a build that could be a dedicated XBMC, I would definitely check out OpenELEC. Otherwise, I'd go XBMCBuntu so I can run PVR software on it.
(2012-10-20, 05:44)reltech Wrote: 2. Don't forget $20 S/H... makes it $60. Any particular reason you're choosing the discontinued ISK 300-65 over the ISK 300-150?

See this thread to understand the "A6-PACK": http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128009

Bottom line is it's easier to replace the PSU in the 300-65 with a picoPSU than the one in the 300-150.
Everything looks good except the OCZ SSD.
i suggest you stay away from that brand.
go for the CRUCIAL M4 or SAMSUNG830.

for the price, why not go for the pico120w.

Yeah I know eskro, you don't like OCZ. but well I do (until they fail me) Already have 2 of them and my friend 3 of them without a single issue for almost a year now. Agility serie just sucks but Vertex have been flawless. Smile
(2012-10-20, 05:44)reltech Wrote:
(2012-10-20, 03:36)Xexiz Wrote: 1. Buy and Setup a NAS: Done (Synology DS1512+)

2. So, here's what the build of my first HTPC will look like.

3. Still unsure about which XBMC to install on it.
1. You have epic storage needs. Digital hoarding are we? Laugh
Indeed! Wink Only have 2 X 3TO in there for now but I have 2.4GO space left so the 3rd 3TO (red this time) is coming with the htpc pieces Smile
I am so damn lost. I've been reading and trying stuff for hours now to test HDHomerun-us and xbmc alfa6
Is far as my comprehension goes now. I've installed in DSM (synology's os linux based I think) Tvheadend backend from the repo. Then, when it's time to configure it, it never finds HDHR3 tuners (which is installed on my current PC and working since I can watch tv on my pc). Then I found a package to install whatever it is for hdhr3 directly in DSM (this is not working at all)

Then having no succes at all with this tv backend thing and tuners. I tried to do at least someting that could work, So I installed the TVHeadend addon in XBMC.

Now i'm stuck. Is it me being really new to all this or it's all but intuitive these, install the tuner (who know why) then install a backend that does.. something (broadcast through xbmc addons I think). All that to finally watch TV in xbmc.

Then would come the next step, having the guide and being able to record on xbmc. Confused

Oh well, lets hope someone here have a similar setup.. I'll keep on working..
Very nice indeed! I am glad my thread helped you out choose your new hardware.
Trinity should make a wonder A6-PACK.

The 120w picoPSU don't come with a P4 adapter for the CPU socket but it can be bought separate to be connected on the molex.

Thank you for the props. Blush
There's an other boards coming also:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75IA-E53.html

I hope that one of these can be build in a Fanless Streacom case like the FC8 EVO,because For a living room HTPC I find all that Silverstone and Antec cases not so good looking.
(2012-10-22, 00:17)dymphie Wrote: There's an other boards coming also:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75IA-E53.html

I hope that one of these can be build in a Fanless Streacom case like the FC8 EVO,because For a living room HTPC I find all that Silverstone and Antec cases not so good looking.
I thought that you might like this fanless HTPC, and they used FC5 case- ASUS Shows Off Silent PC With AMD Trinity APU. Reviewers and users seems to like ASUS F2A85-M PRO for FM2 socket the most.....

I posted my finding on Trinity in this thread- post #40....

@Xexiz-
Have you see this "[RELEASE] TV Guide - with XMLTV and streaming support"? I don't use Live HD TV with XBMC, so I cannot help you on it. I do this "post #571" on my HTPC with HD TV Turner to view Live OTA HD......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks maybe I'll go for the Micro-Atx board,with that beauty case I wouldn't mind mind it's a bit larger :-)
and more choice...as there are none FM2 ITX boards sold yet.At least not here in Belgium/The netherlands.
All platforms (Intel/nvidia/AMD) are supported by OpenELEC now correct? May as well install that.
Haa yeah! Here's a quick update.

Today, I received THE case ISK300-65, the A6-5400K, Crucial 2X4 Ballistik and a new 3TO WD Red HDD

This week I've setuped my CM4228HD and moved it to the attic. Had to add a amplifier since the 4way splitter had too much loss

I'm now at 25Channels (including some SD crap).

Last night I swapped my internet provider. Tonight I'm dropping the TV provider and will fully work only with the antenna.

Still "playing" with HDHR3 and XBMC and my NAS to try to be ready when I received DA motherboard. (FM2A75M-ITX)

At least there's progress and my setup is progressing. Can't wait to receive the mobo and ssd to really build the system and play with it.
I have also NAS Synology and HTPC with XBMC and I am thinking about purchase DVB-S2 card for live TV in my XBMC thru some backend TV. I think that I will install backend SW to PC where I will have DVB-S2 card. I am not understand purpose of backend SW in Synology and TV card in HTPC... I think, great thing will be backend SW in Synology and DVB-S2 tuner in Synology via USB, but I think, that it is not possible.
Has this ever happened to you?

I was just _playing around_ with configurations on NewEgg because I KNOW we don't need another XBMC instance, and well things started getting a little serious, and well honey, I had a few too many beers, and in a moment of weakness, I somehow accidentally ordered this:

Coolermaster Elite 361 $38.40
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) $24.99
AMD A6-5400K Trinity $74.99
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 $59.99

Subtotal $198.37

Even in my drunkest moments I would not order a plastic PC case Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A6-PACK 4Trinity ~ ISK300-120 picoPSU HTPC A6-5400K0