Raspberry Pi Good Enough???
i was thinking of buying a raspberry by to use as just a streaming device for a tv in the bedroom it is cheap and supports 1080p but to those that have one do they work well as a xbmc device i am a little concerned because of the ram and also the 100m lan if they could handle strreaming the 1080p rips
not tried streaming yet, but 1080p playback is fine it you don't use the pi the downmix DTS sound, tho its fine with AC3 sound, but for £30 you cannot go wrong
For £30 its probably worth a punt, if its no good just throw it away. just don't expect too much and avoid disappointment.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
I've got one running at the moment and I'm pretty impressed with it. For the money, it's excellent.

There are a couple of codecs you can buy to enable hardware decoding for MPEG-2 and VC-1 which give a few more playback options.

There are limitations in terms of responsiveness and playback of high bitrate content, but that is expected when running with restricted resources.

Since first installing it the software has developed massively, and no doubt with time, will gain more efficiency. I've not updated mine for a while, but I believe the dynamic overclocking has now been implemented, which should make the whole XBMC experience a lot more fluid.
I have three of them, two of them running XBMC currently and I'm pretty impressed with it too. With a bit of overclocking (which is easy to do) it downmixes DTS and AC3 just fine for me.

Also, the Pi's are now shipping with 512MB of Ram instead of 256 from what I read. Not sure if that will improve things or not but it can't hurt.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

No ISO support, which is a deal-breaker for me. It's a neat toy, but right now mine is in a drawer since a good 50% of my media is in ISO format.
Zed's no moving parts HTPC
i3 2100, Thermalright Ultra 120 HS, 4GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, Z68 Mobo, Silverstone TJ08B-E Case, Seasonic 400FL PSU, Onkyo TX-SR608

Zed's Trinity uHTPC
A10 5700, Noctua NH-L9a HSF, 4GB DDR3, 64GB Crucial M4 SSD, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mobo, Wesena ITX4 Case w/90W PSU

(2012-10-21, 13:32)bznotins Wrote: No ISO support, which is a deal-breaker for me. It's a neat toy, but right now mine is in a drawer since a good 50% of my media is in ISO format.

ISO support is currently being worked on. It's enabled but there's kinks to work out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Good Enough???0